My UCCNC probing screen and macros

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My UCCNC probing screen and macros

Downloads
    Uploads

Default My UCCNC probing screen and macros

I had some time this weekend and finally created a screen for my probing macros. I found the UCCNC CAM functionality useless for me and decided to replace it with my PROBE screen. Basically, I kept the layout of the CAM screen, removed only what was necessary to remove and added my own buttons and changed the functionality to suit my probe screen. The new user field options come handy as well, I am using two new fields, Plate thickness (#20002) and Probe diameter (#20003).

Here is how it looks like.

If anybody is interested in using this, please visit my blog for more details and for the download link.

https://adapting-camera.blogspot.se/...nd-macros.html

The zipped file contains everything needed, all the images and macros, as well as my Defaultscreenset.ssf so installation should be pretty straight forward. If you wish to add the screen and buttons manually, feel free to do so. The files are offered in an "as is" basis, they work fine on my installation but if you need support or changes I can't promise much of that, except through this or other forums. All the necessary instructions for how to install this are on my blog in that blog post, I don't think I missed out anything.

I think the buttons are self explanatory, but before you use it you should test them carefully to understand how they work. This is especially the case for the three square buttons on the right. No documentation other than what is found in the macros will be provided.

There are ten button macros, as well as the constructor macro. Note that currently I did not include the macros for A axis, only for X, Y and Z.

Download, use, distribute and change it if you like it.

Note that the above only works with the UC300ETH. If you use anything else you need to manually edit and add the buttons and the screen.

Good luck.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by A_Camera; 05-02-2017 at 07:54 AM.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/AdaptingCamera/videos
    https://adapting-camera.blogspot.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: My UCCNC probing screen and macros

A-C you did a very nice job on that page.

(;-) TP

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks. Currently we are debugging...

Downloads
    Uploads

Today I created a simple installation document describing how to install the screen for another motion controller than the UC300ETH_5LPT I am using. I tested for the UC100, UC400ETH and the UC300_5LPT and for the demo version it seems to work. I have also installed on the same computer I am using with the licensed UC300ETH, to test, I installed for the UC300USB, and it works nice in demo mode even on this PC.

Manual editing is necessary, but it takes less than 10-15 minutes, considerably faster than it would take adding all the buttons and placing them right, as well as editing/creating all the other items. You must be careful and very well disciplined, read and follow my instructions otherwise you might end up with trouble. Never the less, if you do as I describe, you can install the screen for other controllers also. I have tested for UC100, UC300USB and UC400ETH in demo mode, and UC300ETH in operation as well. Will not test more types due to lack of time, but most probably the instructions work also for other type of motion controllers and combinations supported by UCCNC.

Note that I am not running UCCNC in maximized size. I don't know if it matters for the installation procedure or not. Hopefully not.

Attached Files Attached Files

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Love this screen and macro. I downloaded it changed all the settings in my default screen. Using uccnc version 12037. I'm using uc300eth. with new m45 motherboard. But when I start up the uccnc under the m45. The probing screen not showing? If I start it up under uc300eth lpt. its showing on the screen the way its should? Lol... Any thoughts on why ???

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 1benhines View Post
    Love this screen and macro. I downloaded it changed all the settings in my default screen. Using uccnc version 12037. I'm using uc300eth. with new m45 motherboard. But when I start up the uccnc under the m45. The probing screen not showing? If I start it up under uc300eth lpt. its showing on the screen the way its should? Lol... Any thoughts on why ???
    Hi,
    I am glad you like it. The reason why it is only working under UC300ETH_LPT is that that is the controller I have and developed only for that one. To install the screen for your controller (or any other controller) you have to follow the instruction in this text document. It is the same document I linked to in the above post. To put it short, you need to replace the CAM folder and screen and there is no simpler way to do that than following my instructions. If you are good at using text editors it takes less than 10 minutes.

Anyway, just to test my installation instructions once again I created an ssf file for your controller. If you have not changed anything on your screen before then you could take this file as it is and replace the one in the Defaultscreenset.ssf with the included file. Note that I only included the part which concerns your controller, so you still have to open the Defaultscreenset.ssf file, find your region, called "//REGION UC300ETH_M45", remove and replace everything between //REGION UC300ETH_M45 and //ENDREGION UC300ETH_M45 with the included file. In your case, that is simple since your controller is the last in the default ssf file, at least in my installation. I did the changes and tested in the demo mode, and it seems to work, but since I don't have your controller I can not test it for real.

Note that you still need to copy the macros to your macro profile folder.

Good luck.

Downloads
    Uploads

A few words of warning about this screen and the macros connected to it...

Be careful especially with the three large square buttons on the right. Before using them in a real situation you should test carefully and understand how they behave. Especially the "X, Y Outer Center" function may not be working as you expect it. You have to start with setting the Z zero. Read the comments in the macro and test, test and test again... to save you some headache.

Note also that the macros are written for metric use, if you use imperial units you need to edit each macro and change the values, otherwise you are in for a surprise you may not like. While 100mm/min is not fast in mm/min but it is a different beast if 100 means 100in/min.

Also a lot of rapid movements are made during the probing, especially the one I mentioned above, so be aware of that as well.

It is very important that you read the macro headers because that's all the documentation provided for each macro and button.

Have a habit and good discipline of taking backups, this is especially the case for the screen set file, but just as valid for the macro files. Before starting to edit anything, and especially before saving and overwriting you should take a backup of that file and keep it until you know that what you did was working well and will not revert to the previous version.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I also just downloaded this screen and edited my default screenset as per your text file, sadly I can't get anything to show either ? I am using V 1.2036 (in demo mode on my house pc) and have a UC300 USB set up in the workshop.

Hopefully I can get it working as it looks fantastic.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by needleworks View Post
    I also just downloaded this screen and edited my default screenset as per your text file, sadly I can't get anything to show either ? I am using V 1.2036 (in demo mode on my house pc) and have a UC300 USB set up in the workshop.

Hopefully I can get it working as it looks fantastic.
    Thank you for the kind comments.

Sorry that you have trouble, but in that case I think you made a mistake in the editing process and did not follow my instructions by the letter. I found that the best and safest workflow is to open the used screen set file, for example the Defaultscreen.ssf, find the region for your controller, create a separate file for the specific controller and make all the editing in that file. That way each string you search for will only be found in that part. It is very critical that changes are ONLY made in the relevant part of the ssf file. Once the editing is done the whole edited file can be copied and pasted into the used ssf file, replacing the one delivered by CNC Drive.

Beware that there are several UC300 USB controllers, so it is very important that you work with the one you have. I edited my ssf file for the UC300_5LPT on two computers, one which was the one where I wrote the instructions, the other was the one I use for controlling my CNC. On both of them, the screen shows up and the macros are called, so my instructions are definitely well tested.

Anyway, I include the UC300_5LPT file here, this is working on my computers, even if only in demo mode because I don't have a license for this controller. if you want to test it just paste it in place of the one delivered with UCCNC. I have never used or tested on 1.2036, or any other than the 1.2037 version of UCCNC, and I don't know if the user fields are working on any other version than 1.2037 but the screen should definitely show up. If the user fields are not supported in earlier versions then you need to edit each macro and change accordingly.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    Thank you for the kind comments.

Sorry that you have trouble, but in that case I think you made a mistake in the editing process and did not follow my instructions by the letter. I found that the best and safest workflow is to open the used screen set file, for example the Defaultscreen.ssf, find the region for your controller, create a separate file for the specific controller and make all the editing in that file. That way each string you search for will only be found in that part. It is very critical that changes are ONLY made in the relevant part of the ssf file. Once the editing is done the whole edited file can be copied and pasted into the used ssf file, replacing the one delivered by CNC Drive.

Beware that there are several UC300 USB controllers, so it is very important that you work with the one you have. I edited my ssf file for the UC300_5LPT on two computers, one which was the one where I wrote the instructions, the other was the one I use for controlling my CNC. On both of them, the screen shows up and the macros are called, so my instructions are definitely well tested.

Anyway, I include the UC300_5LPT file here, this is working on my computers, even if only in demo mode because I don't have a license for this controller. if you want to test it just paste it in place of the one delivered with UCCNC. I have never used or tested on 1.2036, or any other than the 1.2037 version of UCCNC, and I don't know if the user fields are working on any other version than 1.2037 but the screen should definitely show up. If the user fields are not supported in earlier versions then you need to edit each macro and change accordingly.
    Many thanks my friend, but I just tried with this one and still no luck !!

I`m beginning to think I must be doing something else wrong ?

I am copying the folder "MyProbeBMP" into the UCCNC > Flashscreen > BMP folder.

I am copying the folder "MyProbeMacros" into the UCCNC > Profiles folder.

There is also a "MyProbeScreen" jpg which I assumed didn't need to go anywhere?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by needleworks View Post
    Many thanks my friend, but I just tried with this one and still no luck !!

I`m beginning to think I must be doing something else wrong ?

I am copying the folder "MyProbeBMP" into the UCCNC > Flashscreen > BMP folder.

I am copying the folder "MyProbeMacros" into the UCCNC > Profiles folder.

There is also a "MyProbeScreen" jpg which I assumed didn't need to go anywhere?
    Sorry it is still not working...

When you say you copy MyProbeBMP to UCCNC BMP folder I hope you mean the files. When you open the UCCNC BMP folder, do you see the new buttons there? The same with the macros, you need to save the actual macros, the txt files in the macro folder. Can you run the macros manually? Entering M20031 in the MDI should start the Z probing, but of course, only if you have the Plate thickness (#20002) and Probe diameter (#20003) working as well. The jpeg file is just a picture showing how the screen should look like, you don't need that file but it causes no harm if you put it somewhere.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    Sorry it is still not working...

When you say you copy MyProbeBMP to UCCNC BMP folder I hope you mean the files. When you open the UCCNC BMP folder, do you see the new buttons there? The same with the macros, you need to save the actual macros, the txt files in the macro folder. Can you run the macros manually? Entering M20031 in the MDI should start the Z probing, but of course, only if you have the Plate thickness (#20002) and Probe diameter (#20003) working as well. The jpeg file is just a picture showing how the screen should look like, you don't need that file but it causes no harm if you put it somewhere.
    Ahhhhhhhhhh, this has been totally my fault ! I was just copying the entire folder to the BMP folder, when I should have been copying the contents of the folder to the BMP folder,

All sorted now, everything seems to be in place on my house pc (demo) Tomorrow I will try it on my workshop pc

Thanks for all your help.

Downloads
    Uploads

I am really glad that you got it working in demo mode. I am pretty sure it will work for real also. Just be careful until you really understand how it works. Especially the fact that the units in my macros are metric, mm for distance and mm/min for speed, so make sure your system uses metric, or change the macros where it is relevant.

Downloads
    Uploads

I made some changes because it seems that the two user fields I used did not work as I expected, but when I changed the type to "fieldnb" type it works without issues. I also created some ssf files for a few controllers, if you have any of those then installation is really simple. Note that I will not post a direct link to the files and you can only access them through my blog post link. The reason is simple, by doing this change I realized that if I am going to any more changes I will eventually lose tracks of where I posted a link, and which links are updated. I will keep my blog post updated and link to that instead, this is much easier for me.

https://adapting-camera.blogspot.se/...nd-macros.html

Note that you will need both zipped files, one contains the macros and the images, the other the ssf and text files.

Downloads
    Uploads

I made same mistake , there was no info , but all sorted now , this is realy working , and doing real good job , now i can find centers of circles .
    U have to extract the content of "MyProbeBMP" folder to "C:\UCCNC\Flashscreen\BMP\Defaultscreenset" , and the content of "MyProbeMacros" to "C:\UCCNC\Profiles\Macro_Default" or the macro that u use Macro_xxxx where xxxx is ur name for config .
    For uc 400eth that i use u need to copy "UC400ETH_Defaultscreenset.ssf" to "C:\UCCNC\Screens" and move ur "Defaultscreenset.ssf" to an new folder , and rename the "UC400ETH_Defaultscreenset.ssf" to "Defaultscreenset.ssf".
    After that enjoy new utilities for ur controller , more powerfull options for ur machine .
    I realy enjoyed this work , and i am realy thankfull for this great job .

Downloads
    Uploads

I am having an question , how to find outer dimensions for a custom piece of aluminium ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Andreiir View Post
    I made same mistake , there was no info , but all sorted now , this is realy working , and doing real good job , now i can find centers of circles .
    U have to extract the content of "MyProbeBMP" folder to "C:\UCCNC\Flashscreen\BMP\Defaultscreenset" , and the content of "MyProbeMacros" to "C:\UCCNC\Profiles\Macro_Default" or the macro that u use Macro_xxxx where xxxx is ur name for config .
    For uc 400eth that i use u need to copy "UC400ETH_Defaultscreenset.ssf" to "C:\UCCNC\Screens" and move ur "Defaultscreenset.ssf" to an new folder , and rename the "UC400ETH_Defaultscreenset.ssf" to "Defaultscreenset.ssf".
    After that enjoy new utilities for ur controller , more powerfull options for ur machine .
    I realy enjoyed this work , and i am realy thankfull for this great job .
    I am glad you like the screen and the macros. Never the less, I would not add your instructions since it assumes that the user have installed UCCNC to C:\UCCNC folder, which for example in my case would not work at all. In fact, you can't be sure not even of the C: disk as location. UCCNC can run from a USB stick or any other external device which might have any other name than C: also. So it is not good to have the folder names fixed at all. I would also not recommend to just rename any of the included ssf files, since it would limit UCCNC functionality and would limit you from running UCCNC in demo mode as well as it would cause UCCNC to crash and lock up unless your controller is online and you are forced to close UCCNC using the Windows activity manager. In other words, I don't support at all your installation instructions and would advise against applying them.

Never the less, of course I agree that my instructions can be made better and clearer and maybe some day I'll spend more time with the instructions, but for now, take it as it is, and if something is not working then just follow my instructions TO THE LETTER and you will be fine. My instructions are tested several times and I know they are working. I also tested your instructions and they are NOT working if followed letter to letter. I also had the idea of shortcuts you have, i.e. just renaming the relevant file, but dismissed them and did not mention them at all because of the above mentioned lock-up and crash.

I do have several ideas to improve more and also have a few more macros which are currently not included, but for now, I let it rest for a while, unless I'll find an error I will not make changes for now.

Downloads
    Uploads

I am having an question , how to find outer dimensions for a custom piece of aluminium ?
    What do you mean? Which dimensions? What shape? Why not just measure with a caliper or a ruler, depending on the precision you need?

Downloads
    Uploads

U have an option to measure from outer dimensions , them middle of piece , how i can use other size material , for example , i need find middle of a 120/200mm .
    Sorry for the other post , where i put the way i do it , but this worked for me , and i wanted to share with other people .
    The program works ok .
    Thanks .

Downloads
    Uploads

U have an option to measure from outer dimensions , them middle of piece , how i can use other size material , for example , i need find middle of a 120/200mm .
    Sorry for the other post , where i put the way i do it , but this worked for me , and i wanted to share with other people .
    The program works ok .
    Thanks .
    I will describe it later maybe today, but if you open the macro file there are comments explaining what to change if the parameters don't fit your needs. Maybe one day I make those user selectable just like the other two.

You don't have to be sorry for that other post at all. I was just pointing out the disadvantages by installing the way you do, perhaps it isn't a problem for you but it might cause problems for others and it also violates the principle and the very good approach CNC Drive implemented, which is a disk independent installation. Files can be placed in any folder, my main installation is for example done in C:\UCCNC\UCCNC_1_2037 in one PC and something else in another, and once I am ready with a change in my development PC I just take the entire folder and all the subdirectories and copy to the other PC. If your installation method is used then this would not be possible. Regarding just having the necessary ssf file, renaming my files to Defaultscreenset.ssf works only if the controller is always connected and powered up. This may also not bother you, but personally I prefer if a software is not crashing in case I forget to switch on the CNC and start UCCNC prior to the controller. OK, I still have to close UCCNC and restart, but at least it won't lock up and I won't have to go through Windows activity manager to close it. Also, in my case, I also some times want to run UCCNC in demo mode and that is not possible with your method. Of course, you do as you like, but it is important to explain not only the benefits but also the disadvantages of using one or the other method.

Last edited by A_Camera; 05-06-2017 at 07:38 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast