What Hardware Are You Using With UCCNC (Controller, BOB, Drivers, Motors, Add Ons)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Hardware Are You Using With UCCNC (Controller, BOB, Drivers, Motors, Add Ons)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question What Hardware Are You Using With UCCNC (Controller, BOB, Drivers, Motors, Add Ons)

What Hardware is everyone having success with on UCCNC software? We all know we are limited to the UC motion controllers BUT......

It would be great to start compiling a list of successful hardware that is compatible (likes) UCCNC, as info about this is scarce.

I want to make the dive from Mach3 to UCCNC, but don't have to right info to leap.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: What Hardware Are You Using With UCCNC (Controller, BOB, Drivers, Motors, Add Ons

Was running Mach 3 ver0.062, Smoothstepper and Gecko 540. Got tired of constant Mach 3 issues, unfixable bugs, lousy CV control and unpredictability. Mach 4 is no better and $200 for a half developed product and no customer support. Went with UCCNC software, 400ETH Ethernet and Gecko 540. Easy setup, stable and works great. CV control is light years ahead of Mach 3 or 4. VistaCNC pendant just released a plug-in for UCCNC so I can use my pendant now. UCCNC customer support is great. When I bought the 400ETH... UCCNC had a special offered for free software license.

Just finished a custom screenset that eliminated axis A, B, C and other functions I don't need. Added a simple Z zero and tool auto zero macro and buttons. Walked away from Mach 3 and never looked back.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: What Hardware Are You Using With UCCNC (Controller, BOB, Drivers, Motors, Add Ons

That's awesome. I am trying to get a PMDX-126 and UC400ETH up and running. I use Clearpath Brushless Servos with integrated drivers, which are amazing compared to steppers. Mach3 CV is a joke. How is UCCNC CV and Trajectory?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

all depends what torque you require. mosfet 32bit dsp drivers or closed loop stepper servos drivers would be a good option. Steppers go for high torque with low inductance, lower the better. Bob you want a non motion control type one thats fully opto isolated with isolated channels (fry one the rest still work) including power supply isolation. Use a psu thats towards the upper end of the drivers capability. The uc motion controllers are really quite versatile. if you have a parallel port bob currently, chances are it will work with it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tygerwolf76 View Post
    That's awesome. I am trying to get a PMDX-126 and UC400ETH up and running. I use Clearpath Brushless Servos with integrated drivers, which are amazing compared to steppers. Mach3 CV is a joke. How is UCCNC CV and Trajectory?

You are running clearpath servos and you are asking what motors and drivers you need?? lol you have no concerns there as long as they have a step/direction interface put it that way.

uccnc cv and trajectory is excellent. You need a faster pc than you would usually need with mach 3 but the reason for that shows.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Not asking what "I" need, asking what works for other people to start compiling a central resource for others who are interested in switching to UCCNC. It will never become as popular as it could be unless people know what works.

My servos have integrated drivers and are pretty simple to wire up. I'm currently making custom header cables to connect the UC400ETH headers to the PMDX-126 Headers that typically connect to an ESS.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Not asking what "I" need, asking what works for other people to start compiling a central resource for others who are interested in switching to UCCNC. It will never become as popular as it could be unless people know what works.

My servos have integrated drivers and are pretty simple to wire up. I'm currently making custom header cables to connect the UC400ETH headers to the PMDX-126 Headers that typically connect to an ESS.

I see.. wonder why on the pmdx the decided to swap the idc port pins around as opposed to keeping them the same as the dsub pinout.

Downloads
    Uploads

There are NO secret hookups or hardware to the UCcnc family of controllers. Just about ANY step/direction setup will work. UCcnc is very flexable in it's setup. When you set it up just match the I/O to the pins on your Breakout board.

(;-) TP

Downloads
    Uploads

Any breakout boards which are printer port compatible, has printer port pinout should work.
    What input signals does that Clearpath servo supports? If it supports step and directions then it should work with the UCCNC.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jon.N.CNC View Post
    I see.. wonder why on the pmdx the decided to swap the idc port pins around as opposed to keeping them the same as the dsub pinout.
    They built it for the ESS. The ESS mounts right to the PMDX using standoffs and attach using 2 header ribbon cables. Pretty painless setup. Wish the ESS worked with UCCNC. That is why I have to make custom header cables for the UC400ETH.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by OlfCNC View Post
    Any breakout boards which are printer port compatible, has printer port pinout should work.
    What input signals does that Clearpath servo supports? If it supports step and directions then it should work with the UCCNC.
    They use step and direction. They are designed to be a drop in replacement for steppers. I like the integrated drivers and the easy tuning program they have. They also have hard stop homing limits which is a good feature. I've been running them for a couple years problem free on 2 of my machines.

Downloads
    Uploads

The UC400 is much better than an ESS. The UC400 supports rigid tapping and encoder threading (;-)

Thinking more about this why are you having to redo your cabling ? Both units have 2 IDC ports to plug teh cables into. All you should have to do is match teh UC400 setup for pins to teh same on teh BOB.

(;-) TP

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by vmax549 View Post
    The UC400 is much better than an ESS. The UC400 supports rigid tapping and encoder threading (;-)

Thinking more about this why are you having to redo your cabling ? Both units have 2 IDC ports to plug teh cables into. All you should have to do is match teh UC400 setup for pins to teh same on teh BOB.

(;-) TP
    I don't believe you can, the idc pins of the uc400 are set either inputs or outputs and same with the Pdmx.

Similarily to the uc400 idc's I believe The Pdmx idc are more oriented to being outputs than inputs tho so you might not have enough to pins to fully utilise the uc400. Uc400 has 17 out 5 in on both idc's

Update: the pmdx has 12 out including relay 5 in so not sure how that's going to work can't send outputs to outputs.

You would need use the dsub and split spare idc of uc400 into both Idcs of the pmdx. But still loose some outputs of uc400, having said that you could get 6 axis in and total of 10 pmdx outputs working so not exactly at a massive loss.

Last edited by Jon.N.CNC; 06-03-2016 at 07:26 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

They built it for the ESS. The ESS mounts right to the PMDX using standoffs and attach using 2 header ribbon cables. Pretty painless setup. Wish the ESS worked with UCCNC. That is why I have to make custom header cables for the UC400ETH.
    Running a motion controller into another motion controller. Not sure what effect that would have.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Id be tempted to sell the pdmx on personally. its ok but lacks descent isolation and dont really gain much from it using uc400 and not an ess.

I use a cheap and cheerful HGO8. Not a widely known board but they have excellent isolation infact probably the best ive seen on bob and ive tested them plenty having 3 of them, the boards are pretty much populated just with large 10mb/sec opto isolators which when using a uc400 is all you really need from the bob besides the breaking out obviously . Ive fried channels on them, just swap channels and carry on . slightly lack in inputs and relays but they are that robust if i needed more id just run two which you can do with the uc400.

https://www.cnc4you.co.uk/Breakout-Board-and-PSU's/Breakout-board-CNC-Stepper-Motor-5-Axis-Relay-HG08

Last edited by Jon.N.CNC; 06-03-2016 at 08:15 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I am sure someone will have a simple cross over board out soon.

(;-) TP

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Running a motion controller into another motion controller. Not sure what effect that would have.
    To have the multi mode bob (which I like) and the use of Ethernet communication (which I also like). I don't use the on board motion control of the pmdx. I also like that it is rock solid and well supported by a reputable company.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

To have the multi mode bob (which I like) and the use of Ethernet communication (which I also like). I don't use the on board motion control of the pmdx. I also like that it is rock solid and well supported by a reputable company.
    not following, the ess is more of a motion controller than it is a bob. and your not able to bypass the motion control side so you would be running two motion controllers in series effectively.

unless you mean running the uc400 into pmdx and the ess running into pmdx also. which i would have thought it may work as long as the port that the ess is on is not used in the uccnc setup and the uc400 port is not used in mach 3, and you run two ethernet adapter in pc or a switch.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

not following, the ess is more of a motion controller than it is a bob.
    The ESS "IS" a motion controller. The PMDX is BOTH. I use the ESS as the motion controller connected to the PMDX as a bob.

Here: this is a link the the PMDX-126 that I run in all of my machines. http://www.pmdx.com/PMDX-126

It was designed for the ESS to be plug n play. It even implemented pin 26 on the headers as 5v power for the ESS.

So I'm not sure why you're so confused. PC&Software+motion controller+bob+drivers+motors = motion

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The ESS "IS" a motion controller. The PMDX is BOTH. I use the ESS as the motion controller connected to the PMDX as a bob.

Here: this is a link the the PMDX-126 that I run in all of my machines. PMDX.COM - Products for CNC and motion control applications

It was designed for the ESS to be plug n play. It even implemented pin 26 on the headers as 5v power for the ESS.

So I'm not sure why you're so confused. PC&Software+motion controller+bob+drivers+motors = motion
    I will connect the headers on the uc400 to the headers on the pmdx that are currently connected to the ESS. I will eliminate the ESS all together.

I will be switching to UCCNC because Mach3 has serious CV issues when trying to cut arcs faster than 100ipm. I need this machine to cut arcs at 400ipm without screwing with the trajectory, Which in UCCNC software tests(no machine hooked up), it looks very capable well past 400ipm.

Hooray for an awesome trajectory planner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast