UCcnc and PLASMA - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UCcnc and PLASMA

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rooies13 View Post
    Sounds good, and if they can add a Modbus plugin for THC and to control a Hypertherm or any other plasma with a serial port then they will have a winner.

Like you said i made the right choice :-). Cause i`ve been researching like crazy on controllers.

Thanks for explaining everything, let me know if there is anything new.

Dennis
    Suggest you go with the uc400eth .... less susceptible to noise.

Modbus is not for thc with the hyperthem 65/85/105

Only to set and adjust the cutting current, air pressure, type of cut (normal, arc always on (mesh cutting), or gouge) and a few other settings in the manual I can't remember off hand

Thc is all done in the controller (oops!! Edit... well the up and down motion is... the voltage is sensed in a thc controller)

Modbus will only automate your setup so you could store it within your tool settings (select tool by material and thickness and the software holds the voltage ampage, air pressure settings too which are sent to the thc and to the plasma when the gcode is initialised (I do it that way with my machine for thc, store the voltage and pierce delay in sheetcam... I could store the amps and air pressure but could not use the info automatically with a hyperthem pmx 45..

Rob

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: UCcnc and PLASMA

Slightly off topic but concerning Modbus.

One reason I have not moved my router over to UCCNC is that presently I control the VFD/spindle via modbus with Mach3.

I find Modbus to be superior method of control for a VFD (not Huanyang) and am reluctant to do away with it.

Can I assume that if and when Modus becomes part of UCCNC, that it will not be restricted to plasma and will be universal.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by robertspark View Post
    Suggest you go with the uc400eth .... less susceptible to noise.

Modbus is not for thc with the hyperthem 65/85/105

Only to set and adjust the cutting current, air pressure, type of cut (normal, arc always on (mesh cutting), or gouge) and a few other settings in the manual I can't remember off hand

Thc is all done in the controller (oops!! Edit... well the up and down motion is... the voltage is sensed in a thc controller)

Modbus will only automate your setup so you could store it within your tool settings (select tool by material and thickness and the software holds the voltage ampage, air pressure settings too which are sent to the thc and to the plasma when the gcode is initialised (I do it that way with my machine for thc, store the voltage and pierce delay in sheetcam... I could store the amps and air pressure but could not use the info automatically with a hyperthem pmx 45..

Rob
    Rob

Thanks for explaining.

I was under the impression the modbus controls the thc function also. It was mentioned somewhere on the UCcnc forum.
    Does not matter as long as the amperage, air pressure, etc. settings can be done via modbus to the Hypertherm it would automate things a bit. I'll just have to wait for them then to release the plasma software.
    It will be a while cause i still need to build my table!
    And in the meantime i'm reading all i can on the software and plasma cnc.

Dennis

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Greolt View Post
    Slightly off topic but concerning Modbus.

One reason I have not moved my router over to UCCNC is that presently I control the VFD/spindle via modbus with Mach3.

I find Modbus to be superior method of control for a VFD (not Huanyang) and am reluctant to do away with it.

Can I assume that if and when Modus becomes part of UCCNC, that it will not be restricted to plasma and will be universal.
    Modbus should be modbus..... although the hypertherm modus protocol is different to the mach3 protocol....

one is Serial ASCII (hypertherm)

and the other RTU (binary) ..... most every other implementation of modbus on the plant.... (including mach3 & your VFD)

https://www.machsupport.com/forum/in...0;attach=23006

page 3 of this presentation...

Downloads
    Uploads

The Modbus plugin would be universal to anything Modbus. There are 2 flavors needed RTU and ASCII to cover everything you would run into. RTU is the main flavor used by just about everyone from VFD, PLC,Tool Changers, THC controllers ,etc. Hypertherm was the odd man out chosing to use ASCII. I think that was a decision based on they already had things using it so they stuck with it.

Modbus WOULD add greatly to the value of UCcnc by allowing everyone to use what ever addition equipment they needed to UCcnc in an easy fashion.

(;-) TP

Downloads
    Uploads

Is anyone working on the modbus plugin ?

(not that I'm doing it / have a clue where to start)

But if may be useful for someone to at least give the rest of the UCCNC interest group that someone is going to have a go..... like most things.... unless you're doing it to sell (or you really want the copyright on it) it may help to give others a heads up in case anyone wants to help out. (personal copyleft unless you need to / intend to earn a crust from it?)

Downloads
    Uploads

There are modbus libraries out in teh C# world (;-) and I have taken a look at them but it is so far above my knowledge of programming that I could never figure it all out.You would need a working knowledge of UCcnc and understand C# programming.

Probably have to wait on UCcnc to get teh time to implement it.

Wish I could help out on this one but I can't. I tried and failed, (;-) TP

Downloads
    Uploads

TP, yes I know you've had a go (and helped a lot!), but I was wondering if anyone else from the ~1700 visitors that have seen this thread if anyone else was willing to share what they had learned or let anyone else into what they may have developed?

I've tried to help a bit with macros here and there (not been at uccnc long), but curious about what anyone else may have developed and willing to share / show to others?

Rob

Downloads
    Uploads

Thankyou Gentlemen for the response.

It was all I could manage just to set up Mach3 Modbus to talk to my VFD, so unfortunately I can be of no help.

Just a simple carpenter.

Downloads
    Uploads

What about screenset for plasma going on?

Downloads
    Uploads

There is no screenset going on as there is already a plasma screenset installs with UCCNC.

Downloads
    Uploads

OK doc. UCCNC got good control for plasma ...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by asuratman View Post
    OK doc. UCCNC got good control for plasma ...
    Yes, it has a number of synchronous macros to control THC and the plasma arc that operate without slowing down the motion that happens in mach3 or Mach 4.

Best of all there are no incompatibility issues or non implemented features across the range of motion controllers that you need to wait for the functions to be integrated for months or years ...... It just works

Install the development version in the cncdrive forum and take a look at the functionality before buying a uc motion controller
    http://forum.cncdrive.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=240&sid=9808baed7d913f274907c1 b6070df6a5

Rob

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi guys..I'm newbie.
    I need help, my MERLIN PAK15XC Plasma is working properly.
    After transferring its location it dint work at all.
    Power, coolant, gas are normal. No pilot arc in torch tip.
    Thanks in advance.

Downloads
    Uploads

If your plasma is controlled with UCCNC or one of CNCDrive's motion controllers, some more details would help.

If not, you're probably better off posting in a different forum here (there's a Plasma-specific forum)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12