Need Help! Step file issues

Thread: Step file issues

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Step file issues

I'm trying to drill two angled holes off this step file, but after i run it though the stock wizard and machine setup, and get to creating a drilling operations its not selecting the holes. Why?
    Also is there an easy way to get simple measurements to the hole center? I can only select edges of holes and not center point, and it won't let me create a center point for any of the existing holes? This is frustrating. I need help.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Step file issues

OK, for starters what Version of BobCAD are you using ?

Can you Zip up the .STEP file for us to have a look at.

Easiest way to get any information off the .STEP file is to :-

1) Create a new layer and name it "Wireframe"
    2) Make that layer the "Active" layer, ie it has the Red check mark on it.
    3) Go to "Utilities > Extract Edges > From Solid"
    4) Now just box select the whole solid and right click and click OK
    5) Now hide the layer with the solid on it by toggling the little Black dot on the layer

You will be left with a complete wireframe that you can use the "Measure" utility on to measure any and all lines, arcs etc.

Depending on the version of BC you have (V25 onwards) you should be able to select a hole in a solid

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

this might be my problem. I have no Layer UCS post manager. I can't find it/get to it. Where'd it go? This is frustrating

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by brianpfeifer1 View Post
    this might be my problem. I have no Layer UCS post manager. I can't find it/get to it. Where'd it go? This is frustrating
    Brian

See attached image, put your cursor anywhere on the Grey bar shown in pic, right click and the list showing in the pic should appear, look near the top of the list and where it shows the Layer/UCS/Post Manager and it should have a "check mark" as in the pic, if not then just Left click on it and that will "Activate" that pane for you

Not likely to be all of your problem, Zip up and upload the .STEP file and you will get better info if folks can see just what the issue is

Regards
    Rob

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Step file issues-data-ucs-post-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, now onto simple question #2, How do i upload the zip to this thread? Thought it would be as easy as right click, copy, and paste. No such luck

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Got it. Here it is.

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Brian

OK, got your file, you are going to have fun drilling those angles, hope you have a good 5 Axis machine

As I don`t know what version of BC you have I have just done a couple of images for you.

Step file issues-hole-centers-solid-jpgStep file issues-hole-centers-wireframe-jpg

I extracted the edges from the solid and where the angled holes are I just used the "Line Join" utility to put a line across the middle of the tops of the holes, then I used the "Point on Entity" utility set to 50% (It defaults to that) and put a point on the center of each line and that is the center of the holes

Hope that helps some, if you have a version that is the same as or after V28 Build 1862 then if you need it I will upload the modified file for you as a BobCAD file.

Regards
    Rob

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the help. Seems a little complicated to get a simple dimension but it gets the job done. I'm running bobcad v25 and i don't have a 5-axis machine. Just a horizontal. Thanks again.