Newbie Modeling AR Lower in BobCad CAD

Thread: Modeling AR Lower in BobCad CAD

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Modeling AR Lower in BobCad CAD

I've been through a few tutorials and made some changes to them and have a decent grasp of the CAM side and can see effects of changes and mistakes due to the simulator. All is good there. I like the tool a lot and want to switch to the tool as a CAD solution since I mainly have single components not assemblies. So far I am really digging V26.

But.. the only way to really learn a new CAD package is to use it to design something meaningful. Tutorials just get you acquainted. An AR lower is something dang near everyone knows and I don't have to describe what I am trying to do, it levels sets understanding. My current CAD software is 2D and quite different than BobCad.

I downloaded a 3D model to look at before trying it for reference. I assume doing it in 3D is more optimal.

1) Conceptually one can draw a profile of a lower. (example below)
    2) add another layer and extrude it up the Z to the maximum thickness.
    3) All of the holes and pockets are pretty straight forward.
    4) Here is the challenge I see with new tools, how do I profile the section in red. (example below)
    4a) maybe do a front view and subtract with a special shape?

As much detail as you can provide is helpful, I will do it and post it as I go with the general shape of the Lower but not to scale or anything. The drawing tools and techniques are what I am after.

Thanks for looking.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by NewHobby View Post
    4) Here is the challenge I see with new tools, how do I profile the section in red. (example below)
    4a) maybe do a front view and subtract with a special shape?

As much detail as you can provide is helpful, I will do it and post it as I go with the general shape of the Lower but not to scale or anything. The drawing tools and techniques are what I am after.

Thanks for looking.
    Are you asking how to draw that? Or run a profile toolpath. Either is pretty straight forward and I can show you. Or are you saying your going to make a tute on how to do either?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah I worded that poorly. "How do I draw that profiled section" I meant, yes doing it in CAD. I was going to try and work out the technique and post it and what I did maybe a video for others to see or use. It is an irregular shape so it is a bit more tricky. I can knock out all the example bobcad has on the internet but they are all pretty easy except one which is more involved (the one on the cover of the V26) but even then it is not as irregular as the AR lower.

What I was doing was trying to do it all from one block on 3D and had all sorts of issues mainly due to the lack of familiarity. I thought about it and the lower is a rectangle with a wider rounded section in one corner. I think that section can be designed from the front and extruded back and then added to corner of the rectangular section with Boolean addition.

If you can show or explain to me how to draw that rounded section that would be useful. Figured I'd post as I went for others to see. Maybe it is not that useful.

Cheers!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Modeling AR Lower in BobCad CAD

Last post 12-12-2013
    Is there any life left in this post?

We're not in business to make parts, we're in business to make money, making parts is just how we do that.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S. View Post
    Last post 12-12-2013
    Is there any life left in this post?
    I think you answered your own question.

Downloads
    Uploads

It's alive!

It was quite awhile ago. I don't remember why it was dropped. It may have become a PM question and some back and forth ended it?

Here's a quick dab at the process:

I think the lower part is a fairly accurate representation (minus actual design specs) But after I made this I realized I flubbed the top part. But it still gives a couple "how to draw in BobCad" samples that would be relevant, and a couple simple changes to the process would be not hard.

In mine, I made the top part as a "blended connection" to the lower part as a "larger piece". I was working off of memory of the pic in this thread. There is a pretty good example of one on GrabCad, so I looked at it. Assuming it is more inline with specs, the top arc is connected a "little lower" than center point, and that's a tangent line that meets the lower area even. This can then be filleted. So instead of "blend", using line tangent from the bottom to the upper arc would get you a lower trim point and be more inline with other models out there.

I think this would basically get someone going on it though, so posted without redoing....

Sorry, it's kindof long toothed. I was pretty distracted at the moment.... Bump, fumble fumble, bump, etc......