teaching question

Thread: teaching question

Downloads
    Uploads

Default teaching question

hi
    I've been machining for over 30 yrs but I was wondering if I can get some help from you guys. I'm a member at my local Maker's space and I'm trying to setup a basic machining class. Most of my students will be artists or extreme entry level so alot of the class will be on safety but I'll need to have basic measuring and basic operation too...the goal is to have them be able to do basic stuff on there own after taking the class. I'm also trying to come up with a project for them to make ( in the limited timeframe )..I am also doing a similar thing with a mill so I may even try to come up with a project that uses both machines...so I have cross posted on the lathe section too

Class will consist of 2-4 students and a timeframe of 1-2 days of 4-8 hours

Has anyone attempted some thing similar?

attached picks of machine we are using...thanks for any help

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails teaching question-lathe-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: teaching question

Many years ago I taught a class at a makerspace, I came up with a small pencil holder/paperweight that used both a small lathe amd a mill. Totally useless, but a good exercise in both turning and milling. The holder was attached to the base with a screw. I designed so it required most of the simple operations that you would do on either machine.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

...great idea but, in 2-3 days shake n bake engineers ? thats tough to do......have them bring in something mechanical that needs to be fixed from home maybe, and teach them How to fish.

goodluck

Downloads
    Uploads

hy this seems fine for a crash course; it covers the basics on the fly, simple & efficient

2-3 days is just enough to make someone appreciate the machining trade, if he/she has that spark in herself; otherwise, if there is something boring, they will lose intereset after the 1st 30 minutes

is not important to keep them busy, but to light up that spark / good luck

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Many years ago I taught a class at a makerspace, I came up with a small pencil holder/paperweight that used both a small lathe amd a mill. Totally useless, but a good exercise in both turning and milling. The holder was attached to the base with a screw. I designed so it required most of the simple operations that you would do on either machine.
    any chance you have a drawing? thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by FUBAR62172 View Post
    any chance you have a drawing? thanks
    Amazingly I actually found the drawing, attached

The file is a DXF, let me know if you want a 3D model.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

For your class structure, considering it's a 1-2 day workshop, I'd suggest breaking it down into sections: a few hours for safety protocols, another few for basic measurements, and the remaining time for hands-on activities. A simple project could be making a small, basic tool that they could use in their artwork or daily life, something that gives them a taste of what both a lathe and a mill can do. Maybe a small sculpture or utility tool?

I don't know if you've ever considered turning this into a longer-term gig, but if you find that you enjoy teaching this class, there are plenty of opportunities for experienced folks like you to get into teaching full-time. https://aquinaseducation.com/teachin...ng-jobs-london, for instance, specializes in finding teaching jobs in the UK, including London.