Cutting brass

Thread: Cutting brass

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Cutting brass

Hi all,

I need to precision repeat cut 0.75" thick brass rod. To achieve that I am planning to use a cut-off wheel in a lathe spindle. The problem is that most Metal cutting wheels have aluminum oxide in them which it is said can harm lathe parts such as spindle motor and ways/lead-screws. The manufacturer of my lathe (sherline) does not advise to use a grinding wheel near the lathe because of the aluminum oxide dust which can shorten the life of the lathe if it gets inside the parts. The amount of aluminum oxide in a 0.045" thick cut-off wheel is certainly much lower than in a grinding wheel but still ... Does anyone think that should not be a worry, that the amount of alu-oxide in a cut-off wheel is negligible for the purposes of not damaging my lathe?

So anyway I am looking at alternative blade materials to cut brass. Can anyone suggest what other type of cutoff wheel would be best suited to cut brass? Need to take many cuts at a time so a wheel that cuts clean and doesn't brake easily is preferable.
    I saw diamond edge, and carbide edge wheels but I don't know if they are suitable/ideal for thick brass.

I would appreciate any help,
    Thanks

Jim

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Cutting brass

You don't need to use an abrasive wheel to cut brass on a lathe. There's a special cut-off tool that does a much better job without contaminating your workspace with abrasive grit. It's common to mount it upside-down on the back side of the workpiece, so you can cut off a part without having to switch tools. The Sherline part that does this is: https://www.sherline.com/product/301...ol-and-holder/ There's also one that mounts on the front side.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

I do have that cut-off tool but the reason I was considering a cutoff wheel is
    1. Need to mount longer stock: For repeat cutting I'd have to put stock in the chuck and hold it with a steady rest to be able to cut at the RH end of it. I don't know how steady that will be.
    2. Cut time: My spindle speed has a quite low RPM limit. Thinking that a cut-off wheel diameter will have a faster travel speed at the edge due to its larger diameter (4") and I would therefore be able to cut each piece faster than with the cut-off tool and slow spinning the stock.

Are there any only-metal wheels out there that would work well for cutting brass, - work as well as the HHS of the cut-off tool blade?, (with no additives like diamond edge which may also produce dusts harmful to the machine, I don't know). What do you think of diamond edge wheels?
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

I would use something like this https://www.harborfreight.com/2-in-m...saw-62136.html

or

this https://www.amazon.com/Evolution-Pow...s%2C215&sr=8-9

Cuts brass and aluminum just fine, stainless steel not so much. Would make quick work of a bunch of brass parts.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyMaker View Post
    I do have that cut-off tool but the reason I was considering a cutoff wheel is
    1. Need to mount longer stock: For repeat cutting I'd have to put stock in the chuck and hold it with a steady rest to be able to cut at the RH end of it. I don't know how steady that will be.

[It would probably be steady enough.]

2. Cut time: My spindle speed has a quite low RPM limit. Thinking that a cut-off wheel diameter will have a faster travel speed at the edge due to its larger diameter (4") and I would therefore be able to cut each piece faster than with the cut-off tool and slow spinning the stock.

[The Sherline lathe spins at a max rate of 2800 rpms, which is probably faster than you'll want to spin it when using the cutoff tool. I suppose you could mount a circular saw to the lathe bed and cut pieces off with that, but you'd still have to support the piece pretty well while doing that, or your piece will shift during the cut, with bad results for the process, the saw blade, and anyone standing nearby. If you want to cut the stock into slices with a circular saw, it would be best to do that as a separate operation, away from the lathe.]

Are there any only-metal wheels out there that would work well for cutting brass, - work as well as the HHS of the cut-off tool blade?, (with no additives like diamond edge which may also produce dusts harmful to the machine, I don't know). What do you think of diamond edge wheels?
    Thanks
    [Sure, there are plenty of steel saw blades that will cut brass. The normal tool to do that in is a cold saw

https://www.toolots.com/10-inch-slow...AaAmVvEALw_wcB

, with a special negative-rake non-ferrous blade. The blade speed is relatively slow, and coolant is pumped into the cut. You can set up a stop to facilitate cutting uniform-length pieces. Diamond would be overkill, though; you only need it for harder materials than brass.]

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't understand why you aren't using a standard lathe parting tool mounted in a tool post or similar.