Facing Burr Issue

Thread: Facing Burr Issue

Downloads
    Uploads

Unhappy Facing Burr Issue

Using a Citizen Lathe L20, on one machine(same program) F.0015, Spindle Speed 6000, leaves a burr on the finished part size. Steel, 1/4" Diameter.
    Neutral insert, right hand holder,but what I am having a hard time figuring out is why on one machine it is smooth and no issues, but on the other machine it is having problems.
    I have tried changing the core, and offsets in the Y axis for the cutoff tool for centering, and it has not appeared to help.

Looking for suggestions, as when I tried to use an insert to turn off this burr, burr rides up on top of insert, causing it to remain.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Facing Burr Issue

Sounds like the tool is too low.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Sounds like the tool is too low.
    I have tried raising the x value for the cutoff and the issue still remains. Tried changing my rpm as well and doesn’t appear to be helping

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by osubucksfan09 View Post
    I have tried raising the x value for the cutoff and the issue still remains. Tried changing my rpm as well and doesn’t appear to be helping
    You have said both ''facing'' and ''cutoff'' Which is it? It makes a difference and the solutions are different. Facing is normally done at the beginning of the operations and cutoff is normally done as the last operation.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    You have said both ''facing'' and ''cutoff'' Which is it? It makes a difference and the solutions are different. Facing is normally done at the beginning of the operations and cutoff is normally done as the last operation.
    It is a cutoff. I apologize for the incorrect verbiage.

Downloads
    Uploads

So I assume that the cutoff is leaving a small bit of material on the cut off part, requiring a second operation to remove.

The normal way to fix this is to grind the tool tip at an angle so the material next to the part is cut a little deeper than the material next to the stock. This causes the weak point to be next to the part and it will break off there before it breaks off of the stock.

Without a sub spindle it's almost impossible to get a perfectly clean face on the cut off.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

is the burr on the sub spindle or the main spindle and are you using the sub to grab the part or are you using a basket
    have you tried swapping the cut off tools or changing the one leaving a burr to a new one to eliminate a bad tool or bad insert pocket?
    are you putting to much pressure on the clamps to make the tool tilt to causing the insert to rub ?
    chips on the tool plate causing the tool to be tilted ?