Hjorth lathe motor mount and pulley calculations

Thread: Hjorth lathe motor mount and pulley calculations

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Hjorth lathe motor mount and pulley calculations

Hi there, new to the site. I'm a hobbyist metal worker (or, more accurately, I'm trying to become one). Hopefully I'm posting in the right spot, apologies if not.

I've got a Hjorth lathe that I need to build a motor mount for. The motor I have needs to be slowed down, so I'm planning an intermediate pulley set, and the pulley calculators I found via Google didn't exactly account for what I'm trying to do. The Hjorth has three pulleys on the spindle, so I'm trying to calculate how big to make three corresponding pulleys, plus the drive pulley that will interface w/ the motor, and the pulley on the motor itself. I'm making the pulleys myself out of MDF or plywood.
    My goals are
    - about 400 rpm at the spindle for small metal turning
    - higher speeds for small wood or acrylic turnings
    - happy medium between the above two objectives and of course 1 belt length that accommodates the existing pulley combinations on the Hjorth.

I think I have a solution (see attached png file), but wanted a sanity check from people with experience.

Thanks in advance!!

- Jazz

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hjorth lathe motor mount and pulley calculations-pullycalculations-png  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Hjorth lathe motor mount and pulley calculations

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoKnownAsJazz View Post
    Hi there, new to the site. I'm a hobbyist metal worker (or, more accurately, I'm trying to become one). Hopefully I'm posting in the right spot, apologies if not.

I've got a Hjorth lathe that I need to build a motor mount for. The motor I have needs to be slowed down, so I'm planning an intermediate pulley set, and the pulley calculators I found via Google didn't exactly account for what I'm trying to do. The Hjorth has three pulleys on the spindle, so I'm trying to calculate how big to make three corresponding pulleys, plus the drive pulley that will interface w/ the motor, and the pulley on the motor itself. I'm making the pulleys myself out of MDF or plywood.
    My goals are
    - about 400 rpm at the spindle for small metal turning
    - higher speeds for small wood or acrylic turnings
    - happy medium between the above two objectives and of course 1 belt length that accommodates the existing pulley combinations on the Hjorth.

I think I have a solution (see attached png file), but wanted a sanity check from people with experience.

Thanks in advance!!

- Jazz
    I went through "attached png file". I think it's pretty perfect. Do you feel like me?Madalin Stunt Cars