Homemade Junk Lathe(Help with Motor)

Thread: Homemade Junk Lathe(Help with Motor)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Homemade Junk Lathe(Help with Motor)

Hello, I been searching the forum and other sites for a solution to my problem. Short question is Im looking for a dc motor with a power supply and rpm regulator, super simple rpm regulator and on off switch. its for a lathe that is 50cm long with a 80mm chuck, and I will be turning silver rings and other small parts for jewelry.

Im a student so I dont have much money, so im looking for simple solutions that wont cost all that much, I started building the lathe with out no knowledge of engineering so its wont be a perfectly precise machine nor the best engineered one but I think it will do its job when I get it finished. The only cost the lathe has had so far has been some screws, cutting disks and a Chinese 80mm chuck. It has been a lot of work though could probably have bought a small used lathe for the hours I spent on it but It was fun and I had the time.

I looked at skateboard, scooter and Ebike motors to be used with some sort of rpm regulator but the videos on youtube I found they are really loud not the motor but the rpm regulators has this constant whistling or beeping sound like in rc cars and my ears cant handle that.

I looked at sewing machine motors as well but they are either to weak or to much for what I need so im a bit lost on what I should do. Maybe ill find a solution but thought I should make a post here since there are so many experts here that actually know what they are doing.

Cheers!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Homemade Junk Lathe(Help with Motor)

I found this
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200W-180V...oAAOSwV6VfU9NI
    May be to weak either way they dont ship to Sweden.

I uploaded a image of the where im at with the lathe, like I said its not a good build but it will do Ill have to make a real spindle eventually but it should do for now.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Homemade Junk Lathe(Help with Motor)-20210418_223832-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe this is a good choice.
    https://www.banggood.com/220V-Brushl...CN&createTmp=1

ill keep looking.

Downloads
    Uploads

The other alternative, besides a big variable-speed motor, which is going to be expensive, is to use a set of pulley clusters with a regular fixed-speed induction motor to vary your speeds. The advantage is increased torque at low speeds, but the tradeoff is that you have to stop and switch the belt around. You could also look at treadmill motors.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Yea I thought of that, but I really don't want to have to change pulleys cause of the work ill be doing, It is the right way to do it for sure but I rather have a super simple speed controller and a BLDC motor. A treadmill motor is a great suggestion, if I can find a old used treadmill Ill be sure to use that, its not optimal cause most of the treadmill motors are about half the size of the lathe im making and its a bit big since Im making a portable small lathe for jewelry making. I was hoping to use a small brushless dc motor enclosed servo motor with controller around 400 to 500w. There are some sewing machine motor kits that are around 100 to 150 usd which is in my budget but im not sure yet. Thank you for taking your time to reply, didn't think I would get any replies.

Downloads
    Uploads

Im going to start working on a topslide tool holder as soon as the snow has melted and its warmer cause its till cold and I dont have any heating in my outdoor workshop. But I started the design of the topslide or what ever its called, im making a custom one to fit my needs.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Homemade Junk Lathe(Help with Motor)-topslidetoolholder-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

There is also the DC treadmill motor and controller option, around here there is at least one a week, free for pick up due to problems with the TM.
    One good one is the PWM MC2100 versions, the motors are a little large, as they start at around 2HP.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    There is also the DC treadmill motor and controller option, around here there is at least one a week, free for pick up due to problems with the TM.
    One good one is the PWM MC2100 versions, the motors are a little large, as they start at around 2HP.
    Thank you that is really helpful, ill check this out. I had a problem finding treadmill motors here in Sweden. I would like to find a smaller option but I know I cant always get exactly what I want cause my budget is only max 150usd but the lathe is not finished yet so I still got time to search around maybe ill find a smaller motor if not than maybe ill find a good treadmill motor and i can use that for the time being. Thank you for the reply im going to look up PWM MC2100 and see if I cant find one close by or on ebay perhaps.

Downloads
    Uploads

The only thing extra you would need with the MC2100 is a PWM 20Hz input into the HD2 connector to control the speed, I made some up on a 50mm x 50mm boards using a 8pin Picmicro, there are also some on ebay that some have used.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

I been looking around and it seems the mc2100 boards cost around 150usd to 200usd its way out of my budget I found some cheaper ones but then the shipping to Sweden was 6 times the price of the product. You made your own boards? thats cool, way beyond my abilities though.

Downloads
    Uploads

I had a hard time finding a treadmill controller that isn't under 180usd also haven't found any cheap treadmill motors. So i been looking at electric scooter motors and skateboard motors again. problem I found with the skateboard motors is the whistling sound is really loud, and Im not sure how to get controllers for em.

Downloads
    Uploads

Wonder if these two would work
    Controller: https://www.amazon.se/Controller-Rev...2901031&sr=8-4

Motor: https://www.robotshop.com/eu/en/12v-...-dc-motor.html

This should work but Ill upgrade in the future.

Downloads
    Uploads

Realized that motor controller wont work the stall current is 133Amps on that motor. I dont even know what to drive that motor with. Maybe Ill have to look for something else. That motor was perfect size and power for my needs maybe back to looking at sewing machine motors and look if I cant find a treadmill with a MC2100 chip in it for sale, problem here in Sweden is I never see any treadmills for sale nor parts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok so I think Im going to go with the industrial sewing machine motor kits, maybe ill add a potentiometer to replace the pedal switch or ill just modify it. Either way im tired of searching need something to test the lathe out with, motor is 6nm and think that is more than I need but we will see.
    Think im going to buy this one seems good
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...archweb201603_