Grizzly G0765 lathe and HDPE Rod turning?

Thread: Grizzly G0765 lathe and HDPE Rod turning?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Grizzly G0765 lathe and HDPE Rod turning?

Im wondering if anyone here has experience with either a G0765 7”x14” lathe and turning HDPE rod on said lathe?
    Im having trouble figuring what tools/cutter to use so i can get a smooth surface, right now i have HSS bit squares but i need to know the best angles to grind for a smooth cut any help is much appreciated???

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Grizzly G0765 lathe and HDPE Rod turning?

For soft materials normally a high shear angles are prefered. Think knife blade rather than cold chisel. A generous nose radius is helpful also. Experiment a bit and see what works best for you.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Grizzly G0765 lathe and HDPE Rod turning?

I've machined thousands of parts from HDPE. I found that the finish improved out of sight when I upgraded to a 13" lathe with a power cross slide and used CCMT insert tooling. I run as fast as the lathe allows.

Rod Webster
    www.vmn.com.au

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks guys! I shoulda elaborated on the subject a bit more tho this lathe is at my job (i work with acrylic) and the parts im making are for a customer we have so im jus tryin to learn as much as i can about a subject of little interest in, ive been grinding different angles to see but i thot I could get the answer much faster anywho Thanks!