More help please - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More help please

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

The work continues. So I tried to print with my priniter, no go. Went and bought a cheap modem, at least I know have internet in the garage! Downloaded the drivers, and still no printing. The trouble is in the PC!!!
    Once I get this worked out, all should work as planned?!! We shall see.
    Thanks to all who have offered help, I find that this site is very usefull, and a little easier to find info then the other places I have tried.
    Smitty

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It is good that you have found the main problem, but please bear in mind that all the pc is doing is sending step/dir signals to the board. Therefore it should not cause the board to burn out. Please double check everything, including the Vref and the motor wiring when you get your new PC. Just better to be safe than sorry!

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

I totally agree with you on that! Through my own stupidity is what caused the first board to pop. As soon as I find the reason why the printer port is not working, I will pass that one on to the group!
    Smitty

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Gang,
    All is well in the home front! This is what I found out, and I am quite embarassed to boot...
    First I got a wild hair, and was thinking about the PC. So I took a peek at the motherboard, found the printer cable does not have a locator box for the connection, like the one on the controller board. I figured why not just rotate the cable, all ready popped a controller board, why not a PC?! So, eyes closed, hit the switch. Humm, no smoke, must be a good thing. Fired up turbocnc in a Windows box, and low and behold, we got movement!! Then it hit me, I am in a Windows box, I'll bet that would cause the jittering of the motors. Shut down, re-start in DOS, and smooth as silk. So, take it from me, I have no clue what the heck I am doing, but I am learning quick!
    Again, thanks to all for lending a hand. Maybe one day, I can return the favor. After todays ordeal, I'm sure you will pass on that one!HEHE
    Smitty

Downloads
    Uploads

Glad it's working!

Eric

I wish it wouldn't crash.

Downloads
    Uploads

Its frustrating at times, but stick with it. It will get better as time goes along.

Also I had my motors plugged to a box that my xylotex controller was in by a 9 pin serial connector. I think one came lose and smoked a board of mine too! Jeff was great to fix the problem!

This time around I am hard wiring everything! Can't take a chance of a wire getting dissconnected! Smoke for sure!!

I am getting over 56 IPM with my Taig mill now with this controller and some 187oz steppers.

Last edited by WOODKNACK; 06-17-2003 at 12:43 AM.
    My little piece of the web!
    http://users.adelphia.net/~wjdupont

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Process of elimination

Hey Smitty;

Had a thought on your situation and would like to pass along some ideas.

First, an experience that I just had getting my new project off the ground. Are you connecting your printer cable directly to the Xylotex board or did you get the extension for a remote (outside the box) connection. I discovered a defective remote cable. Plugged directly to the board and everything was a "GO". A replacement cable is on the way. In the mean time I'll need to run the cable under the enclosure lid.

Next, you can try disconnecting all your steppers, then test for smoke. If everythings smells okay, reconnect the steppers one at a time. Sooner or later you should isolate the problem.

Just a Tool & Die Maker playing electrician,

OOPs, didn't realize you got it resolved untill after I posted.
    Jim

Last edited by jimglass; 06-18-2003 at 11:39 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12