Tool files missing

Thread: Tool files missing

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Tool files missing

I went to install the latest version of TurboCNC and got an error saying some tool files where missing. (*.tl*). I downloaded the entire package, so i did not understand the message. The program continued to load, but the software did not contraol the HobbyCNC 3axis board and the motor would not move, even when i just went to jog it.

I am running an old AMD k6-2 500 Mhz, 256 Ram, on Win98SE; i know - it's not exactly state of the art.

Did anybody ever see this message before?
    Can anybody recommend a different software program to try?

Thanks

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That error is actually part of the sefault TurboCNC setup. You can ignore it. What you need to do is setup for your HobbyCNC board.

I run a HobbyCNC board with TurboCNC 4.01. Works great. Don't get discouraged. I am attaching a PDF that shows some basic settings and I will get my TurboCNC INI file from my computer tonight and upload here for you.

You will have to change some settings to match your leadscrew ratios, inches per minute travel, etc. However, it will be a start.

More Later
    Ripper Software

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tool files missing-turbocnc_basic_settings-pdf  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

HA! Lucky you. I have found my file from last year when I went searching for an example, just like you. Please remove the .TXT from the end of the file name so that it reads TURBOCNC.INI

So, here it is. Good Luck!

Ripper Software

Attached Files Attached Files

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey thanks. The error msg is gone now when i fire up the app.
    Thats the good news.

The bad news is i still can't get the software to jog the steppers.
    I don't know what gives, but i will be looking in to it more.

Thanks for your help with the tool file issue - you helped get me closer to where i am trying to go!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well, there are a number of things that you can check.

Are the stepper wires connected correctly and to the correct connectors?

Are you using a full 25 wire parallel port cable and not a printer cable?

With the steppers and power connected, do you read the correct levels of DC at the pads listed in the instructions?

You can monitor the parallel port with TurboCNC and watch what happens.

Hope this helps.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Right now i have one stepper on the x-axis. I have another controller that i used to check the motor and to make sure i have ti wired correctly.

re:Are the stepper wires connected correctly and to the correct connectors? - Yes
    re: Are you using a full 25 wire parallel port cable and not a printer cable? - It is a full 25 pin cable.
    re: With the steppers and power connected, do you read the correct levels of DC at the pads listed in the instructions? I have not checked this yet. I will check that tonight. The fact that the motor isn't spinning tells me 'No' - i am not getting the correct voltage.
    re: You can monitor the parallel port with TurboCNC and watch what happens. I don't know how to do this, but i will read up on it - thanks for the tip.

Downloads
    Uploads

Some tips to help troubleshoot at the port:

- F2 fires up the port monitor within TurboCNC.

- Also, you can try using FKEYBIT (in the \utils directory). Use one of these command lines:

FKEYBIT LPT1

FKEYBIT LPT2

FKEYBIT LPTM

(I believe that's $378, $278, and $3BC respectively). This lets you manually toggle the port pins while you check stuff with a voltmeter. I'd expect that the port address may be wrong, or maybe the pins are swapped - the motors ought to click or whine a bit when they get pulses, even if they're not tuned yet.

Also, you can edit the the turbocnc.ini with a text editor, it's a good idea to just sort of scan it by eye and see if the axis and pin/setup assignments make sense.

Good luck!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Tool Files Missing

I am new to this as well and I also get the Tool File missing message. I think it is because we have not set up a tool file yet. I am trying to figure out how to do that right now.

As far as TurboCNC not moving the axis you have to configure the axes in the configure menu, you also have to configure the I/O pins and make sure the pins are enabled and that the active state is correct for your controller. Also you have to reset the ports, also in the configure menu, before it will work. Once you get one axis working the rest is pretty easy.

If anyone can tell me how to set up the tool file I would appreciate it.

Capnden

Downloads
    Uploads

Also, just to confirm.
    The OP indicated he was running win98se.

Are your running in PURE DOS or a dos box in windows. If the latter, that is one problem. You need to boot directly into dos to make things work properly.

Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)