Newbie Tree VMC-760/20 CAM software

Thread: Tree VMC-760/20 CAM software

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Tree VMC-760/20 CAM software

I'm looking at a used machine. They say: Vertical Machining Center features: Autocon Dynapath Delta CNC Controls with RS232-port, 1994 year, CAT-40 taper spindle, 20-ATC... The person selling it can't answer any questions. They are just a reseller.

I have a Hurco mill at the moment, that I use as an automated drill press. The Hurco has some issues.. we can't save anything on it, and we can't get a computer connection with the RS-232 port. The auto tool changer, and the ability to use CAM software for this machine would be the main reason for changing. I have never used CAM software for a mill. I use PlasmaCAM software for a couple of CNC Plasma tables, and any and all files come from my AutoCAD, and Inventor programs.

Beyond using it as an automated drill press, it would be nice to mill some fixtures to get things a little more precise than the way I currently make my fixtures.... Cutting out the parts on the CNC Plasma, and welding them together. But other than that, it wouldn't do any real milling work.

Will a CAM software work with this machine? If so, what CAM software would be best for it, knowing that all of my files are coming from Inventor or AutoCAD?

Thanks!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Tree VMC-760/20 CAM software

If the Herco is in good mechanical shape why not just upgrade the controls to a modern system. I have a very low tolerance for antique controls anyway.

As far as CAM software for either machine, just about any CAM software will work. Just requires a control specific post processor. Since you are already using Inventor, Inventor CAM would be an option, or you could use Fusion 360 which has CAM built in right out of the box, and is a lot cheaper than Inventor with nearly the same capabilities. You can import the Inventor files right into Fusion 360.

https://www.autodesk.com/products/in...b=subscription

https://www.autodesk.com/products/fu...b=subscription

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    If the Herco is in good mechanical shape why not just upgrade the controls to a modern system. I have a very low tolerance for antique controls anyway.

As far as CAM software for either machine, just about any CAM software will work. Just requires a control specific post processor. Since you are already using Inventor, Inventor CAM would be an option, or you could use Fusion 360 which has CAM built in right out of the box, and is a lot cheaper than Inventor with nearly the same capabilities. You can import the Inventor files right into Fusion 360.

https://www.autodesk.com/products/in...b=subscription

https://www.autodesk.com/products/fu...b=subscription
    Upgraded controls would be good, but I would really like an auto tool changer...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cNcCharlie View Post
    Upgraded controls would be good, but I would really like an auto tool changer...

Ah, your Hurco must be a knee mill. Nice to have in the shop also. You can do some serious work with the VMC. We have both in the shop, and use Fusion 360 for both

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA