Tree journeyman Fault

Thread: Tree journeyman Fault

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Tree journeyman Fault

Okay, I'm still shaking out this new to me 250. Occasionally I'm getting the following fault message. "MTB Fault Message Number 20". It doesn't stop the machine or anything but its quite annoying. Has anyone seen this or can point me in the right direction on eliminating the fault that is throwing this error? It doesn't appear in the operation manual that I have for this machine.

Thank you,

Dan

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Tree journeyman Fault

From the ladder: MTB FAULT MESSAGE 20: 20 LUBRICATION TIMEOUT

The machine is not satisfying (closing) the lubrication pressure switches within the allotted time, or if they are closing they are staying closed too long.
    The switches should close when pressure is built, then maintain a closed state for 15 seconds or so, then re-open.

Manually pump the lube pump a bunch of times, make sure the lube filters are clean, make sure the switches function.

bob@zpsusa.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by zpsbob View Post
    From the ladder: MTB FAULT MESSAGE 20: 20 LUBRICATION TIMEOUT

The machine is not satisfying (closing) the lubrication pressure switches within the allotted time, or if they are closing they are staying closed too long.
    The switches should close when pressure is built, then maintain a closed state for 15 seconds or so, then re-open.

Manually pump the lube pump a bunch of times, make sure the lube filters are clean, make sure the switches function.

bob@zpsusa.com
    Thank you for responding Bob. This is going to sound nubish but where are the filters? I know next to nothing about the lube system. I do here it kick on once in a while. I also placed a mark on the reservoir tank to see if the oil level was dropping.

Just took the cover off and don’t see a way to manually operate the pump?
    It’s a Vogel model 123 135 300. I found the manifold and pressure switch. I’m not sure how to clean the filters since I don’t know where to find them or how to operate the pump manually.

Thanks again!

Last edited by LuvToFish; 03-15-2022 at 06:38 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

There should be a filter in line after the lube pump and a filter screen on the oil intake inside the oil tank itself.

There are two versions of the Vogel lube system used on these machines. One version has a switch on the pump to manually run it, the other version I think you manually pump it by putting the machine in e-stop and then pressing the reset button.

There may be two pressure switches, one on the manifold on the saddle, and maybe one on a second manifold in the headstock.

bob@zpsusa.com

Downloads
    Uploads

There should be a filter in line after the lube pump and a filter screen on the oil intake inside the oil tank itself.

There are two versions of the Vogel lube system used on these machines. One version has a switch on the pump to manually run it, the other version I think you manually pump it by putting the machine in e-stop and then pressing the reset button.

There may be two pressure switches, one on the manifold on the saddle, and maybe one on a second manifold in the headstock.
    Okay, I'll keep at it. Here's a pic of the unit I have with the cover removed.

Tree journeyman Fault-img_1272-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't see any inline filter after the line leaving the pump. There are at least 3 junction blocks. The Machine manual shows a "Filter Pipe" inside of the manifold and a couple of the junction blocks. I'll see if I can take one apart and see what that is about.

Okay the filter pipe is inside the manifold. It’s like an aquarium bubble rock. I cleaned it real good in solvent and replaced it. Don’t think it was clogged as it looked pretty clean. I lost quite a bit of lube out of the manifold when I removed it. So I know I’m getting way lube at least part of the time.

Last edited by LuvToFish; 03-15-2022 at 08:12 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Cycled the machine multiple times over an hour or so, still no joy with ladder 20 fault. I checked the wiring diagram and see the Vogel power comes through FU8 and then a relay, K10. Going to check the fuse in the morning to make sure it’s good. I did try and measure voltage to the relay on the pump. Nothing like the 230v the diagram shows. Does the relay only energize when the pump pressure switch closes and then reopens from pressure bleed?

Downloads
    Uploads

Okay - my issue with the Vogel lube pump is resolved. I tracked down the controlling relay (KA-10), cleaned, reseated, and the pump kicked on at first power up. I cycled power a few times to build up pressure in the system and have noticed an 1/8” drop in reservoir oil level.

I’ll continue to monitor to ensure the issue is fixed. A big thanks to ZOSBob for the assist!

Downloads
    Uploads

Sweet! glad you got it going. Be careful with those Vogel lube pumps. They are very expensive!

bob@zpsusa.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Sweet! glad you got it going. Be careful with those Vogel lube pumps. They are very expensive!

bob@zpsusa.com
    Boy you ain’t kidding! I had contacted devco to see about a manual for this pump or similar. He told me it’s obsolete and no manual available but he’d quote me a new one. Wouldn’t give me a manual but was sure ready to sell me one at $1600 US. Gulp, thanks but no thanks.