Y Axis Drag J325

Thread: Y Axis Drag J325

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Y Axis Drag J325

It is my intent to re-ball my screws but after removing the bely on the Y axis I found that my Y-Axis, on a J325, is very tight. It moves but nowhere near the ease of X or Z, both turn easily by hand and will continue to spin with a quick twist. I would like to reduce the drag before I replace the balls. What are the items that cause drag? The ways seem to be well oiled, the ball screw is clean. Are there other adjustments I should look at before the re-balling, like the gibs? If anyone has a Tree manual that shows the parts that would be extremely helpful. Do they need to be cleaned?
    I see there is a grease fitting on the Y-Axis shroud - I have never greased it could the bearing be an issue?
    Sorry for all the beginner questions but I am in the process of starting Retrofit 2.0 and want to cover as many maintenance items as possible.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Y Axis Drag J325

The Y axis carries considerably more weight than X or Z. The grease fitting is for the knee raise/lower gear shaft most likely, as the ways are auto-lube with the oil system. If it doesn't show signs of wear and operates normally, you will likely just cause harm by trying to adjust.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Y Axis Drag J325

Thanks, I came to that conclusion. It is possible to remove the bearing plate at the front of the screw- behind the gear, and the ball screw turns without moving the table and moves freely, like it should. There is a bearing in the belt housing that the aforementioned grease nipple feeds. Now that I'm climbing around in places I haven't been for a while I see there is a small oil cup on the knee - probably should fill it...I'm guess with way oil???