Build Thread Tree J325 Retrofit 2.0

Thread: Tree J325 Retrofit 2.0

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Tree J325 Retrofit 2.0

I've started to order parts to do a second round retrofit. The original retrofit used a Campbell design BOB, Gecko G320 servo drives and was driven by Mach3. It worked ok but when I put it together I was not aware of most of the items that make up a complete control system. This TREE forum has opened my eyes and I hope to move toward a machine that is closer in line to the industrial grade controls that were originally there.
    So far I have ordered a Centroid Acorn with the Pro software, a mini PC, DMM 3 axis servo kit with 0.75 kw motors and DYN4 drivers. I have a list started for Automation Direct..

Let the fun begin

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by lavrgs; 04-19-2021 at 03:12 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Tree J325 Retrofit 2.0

I've been spending a lot of time climbing on my mill. When I did my first retrofit there were a lot of items/wires left unconnected. Now I have gone through and identified many of the unknown/unused wires and am marking them as I plan to connect many in the upgrade. One item that NEEDS to be connected is the spindle fan - this machine saw light use over the last ten years so the motor never go very hot ...but it's there for a reason - along with the over temp wires. I started another thread asking about the pulse generator on the motor to see if it can be used.
    I've been bench testing the Acorn and trying to hook up as many items to get a better understanding of controls...still aways to go but I'm getting closer all the time.
    I have one item that I'm unsure about it's purpose - there is a pressure disconnect switch that is part of the pnuematic chain - currently disconnected and I don't see on on the Tree diagram - any ideas? It's the last item below the cabinetTree J325 Retrofit 2.0-img_1821-jpg
    Running out of room on my benchTree J325 Retrofit 2.0-img_1823-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

...maybe wire number 258 in that bird nest?

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Machinehop5. I saw wire 258 . So that device is there to monitor air pressure...with limited I/O that wire may not get connected ot I could wire in a light...

Downloads
    Uploads

Centroid has a low pressure alarm and a low pressure shutdown input that this can be wired to.

Downloads
    Uploads

When I can't hear the air leaks I'll know I have low pressure, in the future I may need an Ether board. 9-)

Downloads
    Uploads

Or when your tool comes out of the spindle due to low air pressure...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dstjohn99 View Post
    Or when your tool comes out of the spindle due to low air pressure...
    If your machine releases the tool on low pressure...RUN. My tool holder won't release with low pressure.

Downloads
    Uploads

I've gotten the Centroid Acorn installed and as I try to hook up the VFD I'm finding that the spindle is very stiff. I'll do some further investigation but I may be taking it out to inspect the bearings. Does anyone have a part number? I can measure them when they're out but I thought some advance searching would give me an idea of the cost. I don't see anything in the Tree lubrication documents so I believe that it's not an oiling issue but potentially dirty grease. With any luck I'll find some miscellaneous string that got wound around the spindle and will be to normal...

Downloads
    Uploads

I removed the spindle and inspected the bearings - maybe the top bearing had too much grease, so I wiped off the excess. The spindle bearing feel fine the top bearing feels fine and I removed the pulley and that bearing feels fine. By fine I don't see any evidence of brinelling or notchy- ness they all turn smoothly. When I started the spindle was difficult to turn by hand. I am about to put it back in the see if exhibits the same behavior.
    That fricken snap ring was an expletive to get out - I'm hoping it goes in easier. I'll clean the groove prior to trying