Build Thread New to me Tree Journeyman 425 - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New to me Tree Journeyman 425

Downloads
    Uploads

Default New to me Tree Journeyman 425

Had an issue where I thought my Z axis was accumulating error. After the suggestion from the Centroid forum, I checked if I was losing steps between Acorn and DYN4. I had been through this before on my router. I incorrectly assumed this would get fixed based on my experience a year ago. Nonetheless, it was short work to modify the DMM DYN4 -> Acorn cables and switch to the Acorn step/direction signals on the DB25. Once I did that all was well. No more lost steps between Acorn and DYN4.

At that point I needed to go through the axis calibration and backlash measurement. That went well. Lastly, I dialed in my Hallmark ITTP again now that the machine was moving as the control commanded. I'm happy to say I made the part I've been using to test this all out. Part turned out good. Two sided part using two WCS. Fusion 360 for CAD and CAM. Really happy with Fusion for CAM on the mill.

Some of the various pieces of scrap I made diagnosing issues and dialing it in:

Installed:

Last edited by slodat; 03-08-2020 at 10:41 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New to me Tree Journeyman 425

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    ....nice thread..need a Job?
    Thank you! I'm always open to offers

Downloads
    Uploads

The side of the mill control panel has an existing opening with a small cover. I mounted the new control pc behind this opening. This leaves the front panel of the NUC CNC PC accessible. It's on the far side from the spindle, so no coolant or chips to worry about. I sold the original Dynapath 20 stuff on ebay. All in all, I am very happy with the mill, the retrofit, etc. I highly recommend the Hitachi SJ-P1 drives!

The cover:

Some measuring and drawing:

Point and click:

I bought the encoder board for the Hitachi VFD a while back. I have the cable and have needed to hunt down the connector for the encoder. Was clicking around my email and saw the connector info. Ordered online from JST's website. I had to order 10, so if anyone seeing this has the same or similar Yaskawa spindle motor and needs to make an encoder cable, let me know.

Next up is sorting out a spindle encoder..

Downloads
    Uploads

My brother and I finally got around to setting up the 3 phase in our shop and setup our Tree 425 Journeyman. We've been trouble shooting some of the error codes as it hasn't ran for a few years sitting in a garage. After powering it up a couple times we just had an air pressure error code but the display screen never came on. We've been trouble shooting to see if we can replace any of the hardware, memory, motherboard, etc. Any advice on replacing any of the computer components and if the circuit boards are non-replaceable in the sense that they no longer sell replacements? I've heard Tree is no longer in business so any suggestions on purchasing cutters, replacements parts, and to get it up and running; especially the computing equipment? This was a CNC that was used at Boeing in the Auburn WA area.

Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Darren

Downloads
    Uploads

I installed new servos, spindle drive and controls on my J-425. I'm really happy with the outcome. Bob at ZPS has parts, manuals, etc for these machines. I've had great success working with Bob.

I'm in Central Washington..

Downloads
    Uploads

Amazing thread... I had realized that my J325 retrofit leaves much to be desired and when I found this build thread I also realized I didn't know enough back then. I am about to embark on a second attempt retrofit . My plan is to use an Allin1dc, with a major reason that the servo drives are included. While I am not completely sure I do plan to move quickly - this thread made me wonder if the Acorn might be a good alternative...convince me... 9-)
    The biggest shortfall I see in my previous retrofit is that I don't have enogh in my cabinets... There are many items that I just don't recognize, understand or know if I need. My approach is to be as $imple as possible but I need to improve the reliability. I have had issues where the mill goes offtrack and I want to have it stop on errors...Currently using Gecko G320, Campbell breakout board and Mach3 with unreliable results. Today I was talking with a friend who proposed that my compressor, which is on the same circuit could cause trouble/noise... any thoughts?
    I am try to purchase the upgrade asap so any advise is welcome...but I want to get rollin'
    SLODAT I am lavrgs in regards to the youtube comment. If you have time to talk over your experience I would welcome the chance

Bill

Downloads
    Uploads

Bill - check out my thread on Centroids forum.

https://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=3792

It has more info. Specifically my reasons for going with DMM Servos and Acorn. Feel free to send questions my way. I’m happy to help.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234