TREE 425 CUTTING OUT OF ROUND

Thread: TREE 425 CUTTING OUT OF ROUND

Downloads
    Uploads

Default TREE 425 CUTTING OUT OF ROUND

I have a tree 425 mill with a PC 2100 control. I have had it for quite a while , but have never done any precision machining with it. The other day I tried to machine some bores and found that it was cutting out of round. It does well on rectangles and straight cuts. At one point in the past I had to replace a servo motor. Would anyone know if the motor would have to be tuned when replacing it?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: TREE 425 CUTTING OUT OF ROUND

Tuning is a good idea on a motor replacement, all motors are not exactly the same.

Define ''out of round'' my mill consistently interpolates holes that are out 0.001 across the 10:00 - 4:00 measurement while rectangles are fine, this seems to be due to known Y backlash. If I need an accurate hole, I bore it.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes it does. Those machines use DC motors usually Baldor in the later ones. All DC drive machines need to be tuned on occasion. I don't remember how to get to the servo error/axis lag page on that control any longer, I did way more Dynapath ones. It's not hard to adjust them.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes , mine is at 10 and 4 but it was .040" on a 3" hole. If I check for backlash with an indicator it checks pretty good. I will see if I can find the parameters for adjusting it. Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

The lag or servo error is just to display a value. Actual adjustment is done with a jewelers screwdriver adjusting pots on the axis drive card. Usually tach or sig gets them right in. Basically, you want to move all the axis at ~15ipm individually and adjust the pots so each axis lag is identical. Jim, sounds like yours is off as well, backlash shows up always at 12-6 or 9-3. When i used the ballbar to calibrate these machines, i could usually get them to .0002 on 12".

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    The lag or servo error is just to display a value. Actual adjustment is done with a jewelers screwdriver adjusting pots on the axis drive card. Usually tach or sig gets them right in. Basically, you want to move all the axis at ~15ipm individually and adjust the pots so each axis lag is identical. Jim, sounds like yours is off as well, backlash shows up always at 12-6 or 9-3. When i used the ballbar to calibrate these machines, i could usually get them to .0002 on 12".
    Good information, thank you.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

I think the Tree 425 had DC Westamp Axis Drives ...this manual might help confuse you more.or help others walk you thru Tuning
    https://www.ormec.com/Portals/ormec/...stamp/A711.pdf

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry, late to the party.
    No westamp drives were ever put on J425 machines.

Balance the lag on the 2100 machines:
    Press DISPLAY
    Select SERVO SETUP, Press the green check mark
    Select a linear axis (x,y, or z) from the pull down menu on upper right.
    Press the scale/balace icon thing mid page on right.Wait 2-3 seconds. Press scale again. Do 3 times per axis.
    Perform balance for all linear axes (X,Y,Z).