Newbie Upgrading a j425

Thread: Upgrading a j425

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Upgrading a j425

I just scored a J425 mill from the model shop where I work. Purchased new in 1998, limited use in a non production model shop, mostly plastic, some wood.
    It was pulled from service in 2003 due to a drive fault and no spare parts. Sitting in storage since.
    I am upgrading the complete servo system and controls.
    I am currently gutting the entire electrical system from the machine. It is completely intact other than three servo cards.
    Is there any value in any of the electrical parts? I can not speak to the status of the parts other than what I know of the machine background.
    I am installing the mill in my home shop, No 3 phase power. I can buy a vfd for the spindle, lotsa bucks, or more than likely pull the motor
    and vfd and replace with something smaller. The current vfd is a Yaskawa 27P51B, I believe rated at 10 h.p.
    The electrical prints indicate the motor is 5.5KW. Have not checked the nameplate yet.
    Is it foolish to reduce the spindle to some where in the 3 to 5 h.p range?.
    Thoughts? Anyway, I will try to sell off these electrical items, including the operator display and keyboard. I will keep the swinging pendant but the guts will be removed.
    If there is any interest, please let me know. If this is the wrong forum for this, please let me know that as well.
    Thanks for any input......

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Upgrading a j425

Hey Mike, That's a real score on a beast of a machine! Well done. I have it's baby brother (J325) and It's been a wonderful home shop machine. I upgraded the DP10 computer and OP on my J325 but I kept the original servo amps (Servo Dynamics). I was able to sell the old OP and computer for $400 on ebay. Yours may be more valuable however if it's a newer DP model.

Regarding the spindle... You can find 5hp VFD's with single phase input for about $500. That should do the trick unless you plan to push the machine right up to the spindle HP limit... In my case I'm running a 2hp motor with a 2hp VFD and I've only tripped the VFD once while trying to take to much on a facing operation with a rather dull tool.

Good luck on your upgrade!

Mike

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello Mike I also have j425 that I bought with a bad spindle drive. I replace the old drive with a Hitachie wj200 15hp drive whitch will run the spindle motor on single phase input to the vfd and still develope full power with out a rpc it did cost around a $1,000 thoe but I did not need a seperate phase converter.on another note I might be interested some of your electical components if you are still pulling them for your retro fit thanks.

PS If you have any questions on the drive let me know they can be a little trickey seting up

Last edited by davidhelgeson; 12-09-2016 at 01:50 AM. Reason: typo

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am looking at a few options regarding the vfd. My electrical engineer here at work set up the vfd and motor on a test bench. Wired it three phase to confirm that all worked well. He then wired for single phase. Now, there was no load on the motor, but I will say the drive and motor and very quite.
    I brought the drive and motor home and reinstalled on the mill and wired it up single phase. Curious to hear how the spindle sounded. This thing is quite as a church mouse. I hear the belt whine, spindle is very quite.
    I expect a reduction of torque to be quite a bit, but if I don't push it, it may be o.k. Will check the amps once I get everything operational. The new servo system will be installed during the X-mas break.
    I have my eyes on a single phase vfd just in case. Would you know what the rated max r,p.m. of the motor is?
    Regarding the parts being removed, yup, still got most everything, including the screen and all controls. I will keep the actual pendant to serve as a mount for the new display and other controls. This has a pc-2100, complete other that the three drive cards have been removed. I can send pics
    if you desire.
    Thanks,
    Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm interested in one or more of the drive cards. Could you send me pics and price?
    Thanks, Stu.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry Stu, the three drives have been sold.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm interested in the details on the replacement spindle drive.