Need Help! J425 Yask 616G3 Spindle Drive

Thread: J425 Yask 616G3 Spindle Drive

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default J425 Yask 616G3 Spindle Drive

Just found out the Yaskawa/Safronics spindle drive in myThree J425 is toast. Has anyone replaced any of the old Yaskawa’s with a newMitsubishi, Hitachi or any other brand? Machine build 1993 with a Delta 20Dynapath/Autocon control.

Old drive is Yaskawa 616G3, with 10HP rating. The Motor isalso Yaskawa but 7.5HP or 5.5/3.9KW. Do I need a 10HP drive or will a 7.5HPdrive do? Looking at the schematics, it does not appear that the motor has anencoder feedback.

I’m electronically challenged, however I have agood friend that works pretty well with drives, PLC’s and such.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: J425 Yask 616G3 Spindle Drive

No encoder on the motor. Any vfd would work really, nothing special about those. Motor is 7.5 with 10 peak I believe.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    No encoder on the motor. Any vfd would work really, nothing special about those. Motor is 7.5 with 10 peak I believe.
    You will need a handheld tachometer to get it set up.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi All,

Finally got by buddy to come down help swap out my dead Yaskawa 616G3 VFD for a Hitachi WJ200-075LF. I settled on the 10HP Hitachi from Drives warehouse based on

information gleaned from this and other forums. I also got direct feedback from several members. Thank you all.

My buddy is an automation and control expert, as such the wiring and installation went well. Fired up machine and got the dreaded "Spindle not up to speed" alarm.

I'm convinced at this point that problem might be my parameter set-up.

First, has anyone used the WJ200 as a replacement for the Yaskawa drive? If so, what were your parameters? (Machine is J425 with Delta 20 control).

Second, what is the Base and Max frequency for the Yaskawa spidle motor used on this machine (UAASKA-06CA1)? I could not get any meaningful data out of Yaskawa on this motor. This thing is an odd duck.

Once I get this project working properly I will document and post with wiring pictures. Many of the older Tree machines will need a new VFD, for most of us a repairing

the old VFD at an average cost of $2,000 may not be a good idea. Especially if you can pick up a brand new VFD in the $500 to $600 range.Any help or suggestions will

be greatly appreciated.

Hitchi Wj200-075LF VFD Set-Up

Parameter Currently State Change To ? Note
    A003 - Base Frequency 120 Hz ? Runs very sluggishly at 60
    A004 - Max Frequency 400 Hz 267 Upper limit for motor ?
    H003 - Motor Capacity 7.5 Kw 5.5 Correcting initial error
    F002 - Acceleration 10 second 5 seconds I hope this corrects the spindle not up to speed error message.
    F003 - Deceleration 10 second 5 seconds
    A082 - Avg motor volt ? ? Not sure
    b012 - motor current ? ? Not sure
    b008 - Restart 0.0 No Just to be safe. No restart.

YASKAWA MOTOR
    UAASKA-06CA1
    TYPE UAASKA-06CA1 DATE: 1993.2
    PHASE 3 4 POLES INS: F
    RULE JIS C 4004 JP44 CAOFA4S VOLTS MAX 200V
    KW 5.5/3.7 30MIN/CONT 1500/8000 AMP 39/29

Downloads
    Uploads

Assuming you have the 'up to speed' relay output on the drive correctly connected to the Tree CNC, then when exactly do you get the UTS alarm? At any commanded speed?, on acceleration up to speed? Your accel time of 10 seconds is pretty slow. Most of these drives used 1 second or less. Maybe the slow accel trips the Tree's UTS timeout (if it has this feature).

Doctorcnc, engineer at cncrepair.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Not up to speed alarm comes up pretty quick. About 5 to 8 seconds after spindle command. Doc you might be right on the 10 second ramp-up speed being too slow.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have the same Yaskawa UAASKA-06CA1 spindle motor in a Tree Journeyman 425. I need to replace the drive with one that I can power from a single phase input. Those of you in the know, do you have a recommendation?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by slodat View Post
    I have the same Yaskawa UAASKA-06CA1 spindle motor in a Tree Journeyman 425. I need to replace the drive with one that I can power from a single phase input. Those of you in the know, do you have a recommendation?
    What is your existing spindle drive's model number? It might be OK or Not to run it with single phase.

Jim Leuba
    engineer
    cncrepair.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Jim- the previous owner said the drive had failed and he stopped using the mill at that point. When we tried to start the control when I was picking it up the machine’s supply breaker tripped. My plan is to replace the vfd and control. Trying to sort out suitable replacement drives that can run on single phase power.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by slodat View Post
    Jim- the previous owner said the drive had failed and he stopped using the mill at that point. When we tried to start the control when I was picking it up the machine’s supply breaker tripped. My plan is to replace the vfd and control. Trying to sort out suitable replacement drives that can run on single phase power.
    This Yaskawa VFD is using feedback from the motor (Yaskawa motor/encoder). This provides more accurate speed control, for threading etc. This VFD will run fine on single phase for lower motor loads. This is a 10 hp, 40 amp drive. I doubt there are many economical 10 HP VFDs that run on single phase at maximum motor load..

What is tripping what breaker on power up? The cnc control or the spindle drive/VFD? Disconnect power to the VFD (and safely tape the leads!) and try to power up.

We repair this VFD, call us with the part number for a quote. 408-331-1970

Downloads
    Uploads

The part number for the motor indicates it does not have an encoder. The drive page of the machine schematics does not show an encoder input.

Downloads
    Uploads

This is a 10 hp, 40 amp drive. I doubt there are many economical 10 HP VFDs that run on single phase at maximum motor load. If you do not have encoder feedback, about any VFD will work. I do not have any rec. on single phase replacements. As I mentioned previously, we do rebuild that drive.

What is tripping what breaker on power up? The cnc control or the spindle drive/VFD? Disconnect power to the VFD (and safely tape the leads!) and try to power up.

Downloads
    Uploads

Jim - I sent you an email about rebuilding the drive.

The control is up and running on single phase power. The previous owner didn't realize the door switches would shunt trip the incoming main breaker. All axis move and the reference zero went as it should.