Part Holding Help

Thread: Part Holding Help

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Part Holding Help

I am making a few parts that require being turned around, faced and center drilled on the end that was parted. Sizes range all of the way up to 1.525" O.D.

While contemplating how I could get this done reliably on the SLP, I have been using my manual lathe to make a holding fixture and facing the parts as needed. This brings up the problem that each size change requires a new fixture to be made to insure concentricity.

Emergency collet? A few regular collets with a plug clamped inside and machined out to fit the sizes I need? Repeatability of either option?

If I didn't have to baby sit this machine, I think I would be just fine with how I'm doing it now other than having to make a new fixture after each size change. I could be facing and drilling while it was making a new part, but I can't be doing that. Something I could use to hold the parts in the SLP after making the short run would be faster than how I am doing it now.

Suggestions?

Edit: Something I should have probably checked before hand. The O.D. of most 5C collets are only 1.48" and that would be good enough for 60% of the work involved. Eh, not bad.

Something to hold up to the needed size would be awesome.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by number40Fan; 01-08-2020 at 11:14 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Part Holding Help

Soft jaws maybe?

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

If I went with ER collets, it looks like I would need ER50's to cover the wide range of parts. I'll see if I can't locate any emergency collets. Quick search didn't pull up anything.

Soft jaws might be the ticket! I am willing to bet that I could bore all of the individual sizes I need into one set of jaws.

Downloads
    Uploads

I use 5C emergency collets to to turn brass and aluminum disks in 1-1/2" and 2" diameters. I'm supplied with the stock disks which are about 0.3" long or deep and hold the disks in collet about 0.020" deep. It's been working fine for hundreds of parts and less than a handful of the disks have popped out so far, usually due to defects or small differences in the OD of the stock. Before I had the Tormach lathe I used larger emergency 5C collets to machine 3-1/8" dia. brass and aluminum stock down to 3" OD, face them and turn to length. Those were about 2" long, so much beefier and they were held in the collet about 0.050-0.075 deep. I got the collets from Shars as I recall for about $50 each. Not as good as what Hardinge offers, but they were good enough for what I needed.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    I use 5C emergency collets to to turn brass and aluminum disks in 1-1/2" and 2" diameters. I'm supplied with the stock disks which are about 0.3" long or deep and hold the disks in collet about 0.020" deep. It's been working fine for hundreds of parts and less than a handful of the disks have popped out so far, usually due to defects or small differences in the OD of the stock. Before I had the Tormach lathe I used larger emergency 5C collets to machine 3-1/8" dia. brass and aluminum stock down to 3" OD, face them and turn to length. Those were about 2" long, so much beefier and they were held in the collet about 0.050-0.075 deep. I got the collets from Shars as I recall for about $50 each. Not as good as what Hardinge offers, but they were good enough for what I needed.
    Thanks! Exactly the insight I needed. I have a similar application using 2.5" stock x 1.5" for the first op on 3 different parts with different resulting OD. So far I'd been looking to find a suitable grip length in AL Soft-Jaws (Really had no clue what wouldn't get thrown, as I'd been using 0.325" in the 3-jaw chuck regular steel jaws)

Aiming for a solution that lets me cut first op, then very quickly flip and go without re-indicating the zero. This oversize collet idea is one I think I'll play with.