bar support

Thread: bar support

Downloads
    Uploads

Default bar support

I ordered my Slant Pro with the automatic collet closer and bar puller, had been planning on making a stand of some sort to hold the bar sticking out, but I haven't seen any discussion on that topic. What are you guys doing for a solution? Spindle liners had crossed my mind but I'm not sure if that is feasible on the slant pro.

Similar Threads:
    -Jon
    instagram @hermit.shed

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: bar support

I used a 3D-printed adapter on the outboard end of my lever-style 5C collet chuck to stabilize 3-ft long rods of 1-1/8" diameter 4140 and that seemed to work pretty well at spindle speeds up to ~2,000 rpm.

Downloads
    Uploads

I guess it depends on how much stick out you can allow. I would use spindle liners in any case. I made mine out of aluminum tubing and then made plastic bushings about 4 inches long to fit inside the tube, then just filled the tube with them, I used a light press fit on the bushings. I chose 4 inches because that was easy to drill through, and drilled them 1/32'' over the material size. I have a liner for each size that I run. I have o-rings on each end of the tube to center it up in the spindle bore, and relieved the area between the o-rings for easy insertion.

The spindle liner sticks out of the spindle about 8 inches, and I allow about 8 inches of material stick out beyond that, for a total material length of 48 inches. The smallest material I run is 5/8'' and the largest is 1.5'' My spindle bore is 1 5/8'' so for the 1.5'' liner I just use a plastic bushing the has the proper ID and OD and stuffs in the end of the spindle. I made a screw on cap that secures the liner into the spindle, but my spindle was already threaded, I don't know if the Slant Pro has that thread. The length of the liners was dictated by what I could fit into my 13x40 manual lathe I would have made them a bit longer had I been able to do so.

For much longer material, a support stand is required. Take a look at the Haas bar feeder. https://www.haascnc.com/machines/lathes/bar-feeder.html

If you take out the rest of the hardware you are left with a piece of plastic lined angle iron on a couple of screw jacks, pretty simple to build a similar arrangement. If I had the room I would build one for my lathe so I could run bar lengths.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

I also 3D printed a few inserts for the back side of the spindle. Even then, with a 5 foot bar in the lathe, there was just way to much whipping going on.

Cut the bars in half and everything was good to go after that.

I'll lose twice the amount of material because of that, but it still only adds up to a couple inches in my case. Lose more than that when an insert decides to grenade 3/4 of the way through a part or material gets stuck under the parting tool and causes a missed step to happen or I forget to check X on tool #1 after firing it up for the first time, or.....etc.

Point is, you'll lose more material by having issues then you will by cutting your bar stock in half.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    I guess it depends on how much stick out you can allow. I would use spindle liners in any case. I made mine out of aluminum tubing and then made plastic bushings about 4 inches long to fit inside the tube, then just filled the tube with them, I used a light press fit on the bushings. I chose 4 inches because that was easy to drill through, and drilled them 1/32'' over the material size. I have a liner for each size that I run. I have o-rings on each end of the tube to center it up in the spindle bore, and relieved the area between the o-rings for easy insertion.

The spindle liner sticks out of the spindle about 8 inches, and I allow about 8 inches of material stick out beyond that, for a total material length of 48 inches. The smallest material I run is 5/8'' and the largest is 1.5'' My spindle bore is 1 5/8'' so for the 1.5'' liner I just use a plastic bushing the has the proper ID and OD and stuffs in the end of the spindle. I made a screw on cap that secures the liner into the spindle, but my spindle was already threaded, I don't know if the Slant Pro has that thread. The length of the liners was dictated by what I could fit into my 13x40 manual lathe I would have made them a bit longer had I been able to do so.

For much longer material, a support stand is required. Take a look at the Haas bar feeder. https://www.haascnc.com/machines/lathes/bar-feeder.html

If you take out the rest of the hardware you are left with a piece of plastic lined angle iron on a couple of screw jacks, pretty simple to build a similar arrangement. If I had the room I would build one for my lathe so I could run bar lengths.
    I saw a couple of video on youtube of a bar feeder that uses air to push the material.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm hoping to be able to run 4' bars but will be okay if 3' is the max. I'll have to make quite a few liners, .06", .25" .375" .5" .625" and 1" for sure. I might see about making the 1" as DOM tube with spacers outside, and then delrin sub-liners to that for the smaller diameters with some type of retainer to hold the delrin into the 1" liner.

Is the end past the pulley removable?
    bar support-capturetsl-jpg

-Jon
    instagram @hermit.shed

Downloads
    Uploads

Slant pro next to Haas CL-1 with 4' bar feeder (the air push one)
    The Haas bar feeder pivots towards the outside to allow you to load the "magazine" again
    bar support-captureclsl-png

-Jon
    instagram @hermit.shed

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by maker of things View Post
    I'm hoping to be able to run 4' bars but will be okay if 3' is the max. I'll have to make quite a few liners, .06", .25" .375" .5" .625" and 1" for sure. I might see about making the 1" as DOM tube with spacers outside, and then delrin sub-liners to that for the smaller diameters with some type of retainer to hold the delrin into the 1" liner.

Is the end past the pulley removable?
    bar support-capturetsl-jpg
    Mine doesn't have that piece (I ordered without the collet system), so I'm gonna say it is removable.

Probably best to find a collet closer install video and see what all it entails.