Video Slant Pro - Tooling Tips and Tricks


Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Slant Pro - Tooling Tips and Tricks

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1452
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Slant Pro - Tooling Tips and Tricks

    Hi Folks

    I thought a thread on Slant Pro tooling tips and tricks would be useful. Please add your tips and tricks below.


    Cliff




    Similar Threads:
    Last edited by keen; 05-02-2019 at 05:13 PM.


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    197
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Slant Pro - Tooling Tips and Tricks

    I order some of the EZE laps for touching up bits - great idea.

    I've never had any issue using the more standard 0.120" parting blades. All of Tormach's offerings are either GTN 3 (0.120") or GTN 4 (0.160").

    My biggest trouble has been with chip welding when parting AL. I've given up trying to find a good insert & have resorted to HHS. Yeah coolant helps but it's still a problem for me, hence the EZE-Laps ...



  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1452
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Slant Pro - Tooling Tips and Tricks

    Quote Originally Posted by rdsi View Post
    I order some of the EZE laps for touching up bits - great idea.

    I've never had any issue using the more standard 0.120" parting blades. All of Tormach's offerings are either GTN 3 (0.120") or GTN 4 (0.160").

    My biggest trouble has been with chip welding when parting AL. I've given up trying to find a good insert & have resorted to HHS. Yeah coolant helps but it's still a problem for me, hence the EZE-Laps ...

    Hi - You get chip width collasp with these industrial parting tips, that helps a lot, but all the same it can sometimes weld on some soft grades of alum. I have decided not to part softer than 6061 - 6061 is fine. Cliff



  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    61
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Slant Pro - Tooling Tips and Tricks

    Not sure if this falls into “tooling/tips” but is a good (tip?) info for all tormach lathe owners with turret option. (Edit: I can also start a new thread elsewhere if it’s not relevant here.)

    I’ve owned my Tormach lathe with turret for about 3 years. One of the first wear items on my machine have been the turret coolant nozzle brass balls coming loose/falling out. It looks like its inevitable for all of them.

    Tormach doesn’t offer any replacement assembly (with plastic sleeve).

    Dunno if it’s already been posted but

    QPM part #SB09520

    Is a direct replacement. No extra honing or modification needed. Simply clean out the hole and press fit. Fits nice and snug. The ball friction is a lot stiffer than OEM too - which I prefer.

    Hope that helps. I wish I had this info last year. Slant Pro - Tooling Tips and Tricks
    Here are some pics. It’s not flush like OEM but isn’t an issue.

    Slant Pro - Tooling Tips and Tricks-img_5924-jpgSlant Pro - Tooling Tips and Tricks-img_5923-jpgSlant Pro - Tooling Tips and Tricks-img_5922-jpgSlant Pro - Tooling Tips and Tricks-img_5917-jpgSlant Pro - Tooling Tips and Tricks-img_5919-jpg



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1452
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Slant Pro - Tooling Tips and Tricks

    Quote Originally Posted by Sareks2k View Post
    Not sure if this falls into “tooling/tips” but is a good (tip?) info for all tormach lathe owners with turret option. (Edit: I can also start a new thread elsewhere if it’s not relevant here.)

    I’ve owned my Tormach lathe with turret for about 3 years. One of the first wear items on my machine have been the turret coolant nozzle brass balls coming loose/falling out. It looks like its inevitable for all of them.

    Tormach doesn’t offer any replacement assembly (with plastic sleeve).

    Dunno if it’s already been posted but

    QPM part #SB09520

    Is a direct replacement. No extra honing or modification needed. Simply clean out the hole and press fit. Fits nice and snug. The ball friction is a lot stiffer than OEM too - which I prefer.

    Hope that helps. I wish I had this info last year. Slant Pro - Tooling Tips and Tricks
    Here are some pics. It’s not flush like OEM but isn’t an issue.

    Slant Pro - Tooling Tips and Tricks-img_5924-jpgSlant Pro - Tooling Tips and Tricks-img_5923-jpgSlant Pro - Tooling Tips and Tricks-img_5922-jpgSlant Pro - Tooling Tips and Tricks-img_5917-jpgSlant Pro - Tooling Tips and Tricks-img_5919-jpg



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks ! I have that trouble also. QPM Canada I see - do they sell on ebay or Amazon? Cliff



  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    61
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Slant Pro - Tooling Tips and Tricks

    Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Thanks ! I have that trouble also. QPM Canada I see - do they sell on ebay or Amazon? Cliff
    Haven’t seen them on amazon. eBay is possible.

    I bought mine from

    https://globalcnc.com under “coolant nozzles”

    They first had me check with my local MSC store. But after MSC took too long to call them, they sold it to me direct.

    Let me know if you have issues getting them. Now that they fit without issues, I’m going to place another order to replace the others. I can put an order in for you. They’re about $45 for 5 pcs.

    FWIW, I’m in southern CA. Slant Pro - Tooling Tips and Tricks

    Paul

    Last edited by Sareks2k; 09-05-2019 at 05:36 AM.


  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2999
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Slant Pro - Tooling Tips and Tricks

    Paul - do you know if those fit the original SB-15 turrets? The currently sold turret dates from about 3 years ago, I think.



  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    61
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Slant Pro - Tooling Tips and Tricks

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Paul - do you know if those fit the original SB-15 turrets? The currently sold turret dates from about 3 years ago, I think.
    Hey MH!

    I’m not sure Tormach wasn’t very helpful with any part numbers or replacement parts.

    I’ll measure the ID and get back to you tomorrow Slant Pro - Tooling Tips and Tricks


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2999
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Slant Pro - Tooling Tips and Tricks

    Quote Originally Posted by Sareks2k View Post
    Hey MH!

    I’m not sure Tormach wasn’t very helpful with any part numbers or replacement parts.

    I’ll measure the ID and get back to you tomorrow Slant Pro - Tooling Tips and Tricks


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I went ahead and ordered some of the QPM coolant nozzles after measuring the coolant fitting ball diameter on Tormach's turret (10 mm) and decided on the BB11012 part numbers, which are angled balls. It looks like they will work well for boring and internal slotting tools, and possibly parting or grooving tools, but not on any of my external turning tools. The coolant spray would just hit the back of the toolholder and little coolant would make it to the actual cut.

    I'll take a look at their other offerings and see if any of them might work better for external tools. I'm hoping to avoid having to drill and bore out the hole for the press-fit nozzles.

    Mike



  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    61
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Slant Pro - Tooling Tips and Tricks

    Sorry my tomorrow turned into 3 days Slant Pro - Tooling Tips and Tricks
    (In case it’s hard to see, I’m measuring without the plastic sleeve)



    Let us know how the angled balls fit!



  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2999
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Slant Pro - Tooling Tips and Tricks

    Interesting - you have the newer turret, which apparently uses sockets for 12 mm balls whereas my "Series 1" turret takes 10 mm coolant balls. Your sockets are also oriented "above" the cutter whereas mine are are on the other side of the tool block, making it harder to properly direct the coolant. Makes me wish I'd waited for the newer turret to be released partially for better coolant direction but also because my turret tools don't seem to repeat tool offset very well, which makes it hard to get consistent dimensions on any job that has more than 1 turret tool change.



Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


About CNCzone.com

    We are the largest and most active discussion forum for manufacturing industry. The site is 100% free to join and use, so join today!

Follow us on


Our Brands

Slant Pro - Tooling Tips and Tricks

Slant Pro - Tooling Tips and Tricks

Slant Pro - Tooling Tips and Tricks