Collet Closer, my way

Thread: Collet Closer, my way

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Collet Closer, my way

I had so much problem with my collet closer, worked a lot to try to solve every thing.

So, the last thing is, installed two pneumatic cylinders instead on one, work much better but still, sometime it will not release the collet.

Here're some pics.

I've also include a pic of some tool holders for gang tool,

Jeff

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Collet Closer, my way-img_20170520_040120-jpg   Collet Closer, my way-img_20170520_040107-jpg   Collet Closer, my way-img_20170520_040129-jpg   Collet Closer, my way-img_20170508_235632-jpg  

Collet Closer, my way-img_20170123_022650-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Collet Closer, my way

I have to say, collect closer is total junk. The thought that someone could sell this vibrating piece of sh** for over $1000 boggles the mind. I know people said that collet was made in US, but I highly doubt it. Mine came packaged in Chinese newspaper...

I am going to be contacting Tormach about collect closer because damn thing vibrates so much that I cannot believe it will last.

Last edited by coffeetek; 05-24-2017 at 09:41 AM.
    Dennis

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by coffeetek View Post
    I have to say, collect closer is total junk. The thought that someone could sell this vibrating piece of sh** for over $1000 boggles the mind. I know people said that collect was made in US, but I highly doubt it. Mine came packaged in Chinese newspaper...

I am going to be contacting Tormach about collect closer because damn thing vibrates so much that I cannot believe it will last.
    You're probably right, I can't imagine an US company selling these to customer without even do a quality check.

Almost every pieces on mine was out of spec, my main problem was all 3 cams were jammed because of bad machining, had to take it apart and mill all 3 slots where the cams are installed. Holes were drilled too close to the bottom of the slot so the cams could not move since they were touching the bottom of the slot.

Jeff

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Collet Closer, my way-img_20170509_004908-jpg   Collet Closer, my way-img_20170509_004912-jpg   Collet Closer, my way-img_20170508_235632-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

They're definitely made in the US. I've been to their shop where they make them. See my posts on page 4 of this thread. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...bration-4.html

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by sanddrag View Post
    They're definitely made in the US. I've been to their shop where they make them. See my posts on page 4 of this thread. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...bration-4.html
    I saw your post, but mine came packed in Chinese newspaper. No kidding.

And I have seen lot of companies claiming that their stuff is made in US, but its actually made in China. This is nothing new.

Dennis

Downloads
    Uploads

I saw your post, but mine came packed in Chinese newspaper. No kidding..
    Maybe Tormach no longer sources them from JFK Precision Products. They have switched manufacturers for their turret, no reason not to do the same for their collet closer.

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    Maybe Tormach no longer sources them from JFK Precision Products. They have switched manufacturers for their turret, no reason not to do the same for their collet closer.
    Mine is engraved JFK, but nowhere its engraved with Made in US and came packaged in Chinese newspapers... Highly doubt its US made...

Dennis

Downloads
    Uploads

Mine is engraved JFK, but nowhere its engraved with Made in US and came packaged in Chinese newspapers... Highly doubt its US made...
    Bummer. Another small US manufacturer just became an importer instead.

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey001 View Post
    I had so much problem with my collet closer, worked a lot to try to solve every thing.

So, the last thing is, installed two pneumatic cylinders instead on one, work much better but still, sometime it will not release the collet.

Jeff
    Nice setup! What helped me with the collet sticking was installing a quick exhaust valve from Clippard.com it makes the cylinder movement a lot "snappier" and was able to knock the collet open. I'm also at about 50 psi I think

Question: Is there a key on the keyboard to activate the collet closer? The best I've done so far is programming the M64/M65 into the start and end of the program. But would like to manually activate it with a pedal or physical button instead of the mouse.