Lifting Tormach lathe from pallet without lifting kit

Thread: Lifting Tormach lathe from pallet without lifting kit

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Lifting Tormach lathe from pallet without lifting kit

So I just got the Tormach lathe uncrated but I can't see a way to lift the lathe off of the pallet. Is the lifting kit required? I don't have the lifting kit but I do have a forklift.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lifting Tormach lathe from pallet without lifting kit-image-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Lifting Tormach lathe from pallet without lifting kit

Congrats!
    Looking at my machine I don't see a way to get it off the pallet without the kit.

Maybe you can rig something to the 4 holes (where the lift kit attaches) and SLIGHTLY lift each side (front and back) high enough to put shims to make room for the fork? Sounds like a bit of effort but might work.

Worse case I can sell you mine for cheap. It was obviously only used once. in its original crate ready to ship! LolLifting Tormach lathe from pallet without lifting kit

Let us know what you come up with!
    I'm sure others are questioning paying the extra $$$ for a lift kit that should just come with all the machines. But I digress.

Hopefully someone else that didn't buy the lift kit will chime in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Somebody here built a "lift kit" out of wood. Their's was pretty fancy, but there is no reason you couldn't do it out of 2x4s. Essentially build four legs, probably each out of two 6" chunks of 2x4 (the inner 2x4 establishes the offset off the top of the pallet, the outside 2x4 acting as the leg going to the ground). Bolt the inner one to the SPL15 with machine screws/bolts, and screw the outer 2x4 to the inner with four 3" wood screws. More then enough to support the weight of the machine.

Lift up the pallet with the pallet jack before you screw the outer legs on, then set it down on the four legs with the pallet jack. Once you unbolt and slide the pallet out, thread in the machine feet until they support the weight of the machine, then unscrew the wooden legs.

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Downloads
    Uploads

There are two sets of holes that go all the way through the lathe cabinet, one set at the tailstock end and the other at the head stock end. Most of the holes have little sheet metal cover plates screwed over them. You should be able to insert some 1" or larger steel rod through those and lift the lathe off the pallet with a fork lift if your forks are long enough. Alternately run some lifting straps through the holes and lift the lathe that way.Lifting Tormach lathe from pallet without lifting kit-img_1615-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

With a forklift to use I would pickup bolts the correct size for lifting points and bolt a 4x4 or 2-2x4's to front and back of lathe base. The double 2x4 or 4x4s would extend past right and left side enough for fork teeth to lift.
    If lifting from side of lathe then no need to extend lifting point past end of cabinet and just pick up with fork teeth using the lumber attached to front and back.
    I plan on doing this when a purchase one. Only difference is I have a number of floor jacks and plan to use the bolted lumber to sides and use floor jacks to lift. No need for screwing bolts down to lift machine as shown in the tormach video, just pump floor jacks up.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

There are 2 lifting lug plates that bolt to the end of the lathe base casting. Oddly there is no mention of it until you look at some of the pictures. Maybe you can use those with the fork lift as well. Those plates are wrapped up in some sponge type wrapping.

Pete

Downloads
    Uploads

For anyone that does not have a forklift. I'm not saying this is safe, or a good idea, but this is what I did. I used a pry bar in an area the did not have the blocks underneath so the plywood would give. I got a gap opened up, then stuck some stock in there. Then I could get the pry bar under the lathe where the support blocks are and lift it up more and put a larger chunk of stock underneath. I had to do this a couple time to get it high enough to slide some 3/4" pipe under. Then I went to the front side of the machine same end and repeated. When I go both ends sitting on the pipe I was able to swing head end of the lathe 90 degrees onto the pallet jack. It was then fairly easy to pry up and remove the pipes. Used the pallet jack to lift up to install feet and set in place. YMMV
    Lifting Tormach lathe from pallet without lifting kit-img_20191228_102129132-jpg
    Lifting Tormach lathe from pallet without lifting kit-img_20191228_102137159-jpg

-Jon
    instagram @hermit.shed