Why did you buy a 15L - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why did you buy a 15L

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Why did you buy a 15L

That looks decent, but it is a flat bed lathe. There is a good reason why the pro cnc lathes are all slant beds... helps get rid of the monster pile of snarls that get generated. Mills aren't as bad, because you get chips instead of continuous spirals of swarf that quickly jams up everything (when cutting aluminum).

The SL280 is more comparable to the SPL15 (except with a massive casting, linear ways, servos, 3x the weight, 10x the rapids....and not quite twice the price).

Again, this is like alibaba (same machines in fact...). Lots of pretty pictures, specs that look good on paper, but until you have users posting glowing reviews, I would hold off. All you have to do is venture into the Syil and Smithy forums on this site, and see that it is still a ghost town, despite the glossy photos they have online of their machines.

The fact that Smithy has jumped from offering only 2 cnc machines (the Novakon mill and the Syil Lathe, IIRC) to an entire stable of machines isn't really a positive signs. I suspect they will have growing pains as they try to provide customer service to 12 customers with 12 different machines. A smarter choice would be to add a couple machines per year, get a good customer base and a solid commitment from their Chinese factory to provide a quality product.

Unless a company is ordering hundreds of machines a year (like Tormach), they are going to have a lot of difficulty demanding a consistent quality product from their supplier. In the words of Sieg Industries "The suitor of the Emperor's daughter has no clothes" (translation: you are too much of a PIA to deal with, we have more important customers, so take a long walk off a short dock).

With Tormach, you know you have a solid company that stands behind their product, that is well built without corners being cut like you see on most low-price-point chinese machinery, and they have established a stable commitment from their Chinese partners.

I hope Smithy takes off, as some of these machines look pretty nice, and offer machines that (on paper) are part-way between the Tormach and a Haas in price and capabilities.

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's just it if no one takes a risk we would never have anything new. I was very hesitant to order at first but if the machine does what it says and doesn't break constantly it will be a great machine and way better than the 15L. I actually ordered a bunch of tooling, raw material, and a video camera. This thing is going to hit the ground running and I'm going to push it hard. It's going to run a bunch of stainless right away, 304L and 416R so that should be a pretty good test. I will run aluminum later but if it can run SS aluminum will be butter.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hopefully you will fare better than the Mikini owners - that company seems to have gone bankrupt after some significant problems surfaced in the machine. That probably won't happen with Smithy and you are ahead of the game knowing that risks are greater with new machines.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by sin_arms View Post
    That's just it if no one takes a risk we would never have anything new. I was very hesitant to order at first but if the machine does what it says and doesn't break constantly it will be a great machine and way better than the 15L.
    True, kudos to you, you are a brave man venturing into new territory.

Smithy give you a delivery timeframe? How much did shipping run?

Last edited by tmarks11; 02-22-2016 at 10:50 PM.
    Tim

Downloads
    Uploads

Matt - that machine looks awesome for the money. Cant wait to see it up and running. You're local to me, so maybe I can come by the shop and check it out at some point?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So I received my lathe today, I'm impressed, extremely impressed. I hooked power and air to it and it's up and running. My tooling will hopefully be here tomorrow and then I can start playing. Shipping was ~$750 for a 3500lbs machine, they shipped it Monday and I have it up and running today.

Why did you buy a 15L-p1010028-jpg

Why did you buy a 15L-p1010029-jpg

Why did you buy a 15L-p1010032-jpg

Why did you buy a 15L-p1010033-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks pretty cool.
    Nice electronics. I do see an issue that may come up as I am sure you are aware. The center of the bed being open is a small part trap. I used bellows on my little lathe to catch chips and parts, but they filled up quickly. Maybe use a rubber sheet if you are running a lot of small stuff.
    What does the collet closer look like?

Besides the Tormach being so much a better lathe than my home made one, the Slant bed design is really worth some extra cost.
    I saw that Smithy has Slant bed lathes too. Did you consider those?

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow! That was quick! Ordered on the 18th, here today?

Encouraging sign that Smithy is stocking locally (vs. acting as a drop shipment pass through).

Looks like the same design/brand of turret as Tormach is using.

Looking forward to seeing a video.

What is the width of the bed?

I like the looks of the casting on the SL280/SL6. Linear rails to, ftw!
    Why did you buy a 15L-sl280-png

Of course, I can (sort of) justify $14k for the SPL15 with Turret. $20k for the SL-280 with just gang tooling, or $25k for the SL-6 with hydraulic chuck and turret probably is over the top.

Last edited by tmarks11; 02-24-2016 at 09:25 PM.
    Tim

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Looks pretty cool.
    Nice electronics. I do see an issue that may come up as I am sure you are aware. The center of the bed being open is a small part trap. I used bellows on my little lathe to catch chips and parts, but they filled up quickly. Maybe use a rubber sheet if you are running a lot of small stuff.
    What does the collet closer look like?

Besides the Tormach being so much a better lathe than my home made one, the Slant bed design is really worth some extra cost.
    I saw that Smithy has Slant bed lathes too. Did you consider those?

I'm actually not worried about it being a straight bed, there is a very nice ramp that goes down to the coolant tank and a tray that holds the chips/parts and can easily be grabbed while it's running.

The collet uses an air clamp for opening and closing and it seems to work very good with a foot pedal. I'm sure you can tie it in to make it automated.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice feature there. The layout of the design looks all too familiar to me and would have given me pause. The turret seems like it would be in the way for easy access to gang tools. I am not sold on the bed way design either, however it should work great. I like that the air closer, turret, tailstock and enclosure are included as well as the auto oiler. That is enough to overlook the layout and way design. Servo's are icing on the cake.

The controller for me would have been another area I would have had to research and weigh pro's and con's. Just not familiar with it. I can do a lot with computers as a controller, but I would be lost on an industrial system.
    I look forward to seeing you put it through it's paces and congrats on what looks like a very nice machine.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

@sin_arms: Would be very interested in in getting a few updates on your experience with this lathe, there is no AutoMate category on this forum. When you unpack , it's the coolest thing, but over time you discover little quirks. Would be interested is seeing how this goes. ON another note, the Chinese devalued their yuan last summer, and they are looking to increase exports as a whole, this seems like a lot of tool for the $.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by adamvs View Post
    @sin_arms: Would be very interested in in getting a few updates on your experience with this lathe, there is no AutoMate category on this forum.
    I think it would fall under the Smithy forum, since they are the importer. I too am looking forward to some updates.

Tim

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Still waiting on some tooling to show up but I did a test cut. Still figuring out fusion 360 and using a cnc lathe but I think my first part turned out pretty well. Why did you buy a 15L-uploadfromtaptalk1456705795557-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow. Nice.

Downloads
    Uploads

Still waiting on some tooling to show up but I did a test cut. Still figuring out fusion 360 and using a cnc lathe but I think my first part turned out pretty well. Why did you buy a 15L-uploadfromtaptalk1456705795557-jpg

NIce part for the first go!!! Good Job. ... Is the phase converter inside the unit or a separate external piece? Thanks!!!

Edit... sorry... I forgot to ask, is this a digital converter or the old style?? Thanks..AGAIN!

Downloads
    Uploads

There are alternates like a GT27. I just bought one and took delivery Friday. It cost about the same as the SBL when adding in all the accessories (full c axis, fagor 8050 controller, linear rails, auto oiler, etc). Made a video of the unboxing.

Downloads
    Uploads

Julie Andrews? Disco ball?
    Dude! You have set the bar for machining vids!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MRM RCModels View Post
    There are alternates like a GT27. I just bought one and took delivery Friday. It cost about the same as the SBL when adding in all the accessories (full c axis, fagor 8050 controller, linear rails, auto oiler, etc). Made a video of the unboxing.

Awesome video man, Just subscribed also.

I did look really hard at the GT27 and if I was doing a lot of small parts I would definitely buy that one. I will be making a video very shortly.

Downloads
    Uploads

Awesome video man, Just subscribed also.

I did look really hard at the GT27 and if I was doing a lot of small parts I would definitely buy that one. I will be making a video very shortly.
    Thank you. I looked at the SBL but couldn't pass this one up. It's not for everyone, but it's great for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by adamvs View Post
    Julie Andrews? Disco ball?
    Dude! You have set the bar for machining vids!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice machine! Look forward to seeing you put it through it's paces. Do they offer a C axis kit with it?
    It's a much smaller footprint than the SBL and would probably have worked great for us too. But then my little home made lathe had enough size for us. Some say size matters. Congrats and I would say to get busy, but you are already there.

Lee

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast