Thread: Lathe Collet Closer

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Lathe Collet Closer

Thanks Andy!

Downloads
    Uploads

I appreciate that Tormach LLC responds on this forum; engaged manufacturer support is one of the reasons I bought my PCNC1100.

Andy, is there any sort of rough timeline available concerning when the turret and pneumatic closer will be offered? The rumor that I had heard was the turrets were in stock and waiting to ship months ago, but they were waiting for the enclosures to be finished. Now that the enclosure is available....

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Downloads
    Uploads

We've added the lathe with turret option to the website today. Here is the link.

As for the pneumatic closer, we are still waiting on the arrival of a few components. Right now, the anticipated release will be sometime Q1 2015 if all continues to go as planned.

Andy Grevstad | Tormach LLC
    1071 Uniek Dr. | Waunakee, WI 53597 | www.tormach.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Great news Andy - are the turret lathes and full enclosure in stock now or is there a waiting time?

Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

In stock and shipping now.

Andy Grevstad | Tormach LLC
    1071 Uniek Dr. | Waunakee, WI 53597 | www.tormach.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads

Adam, is that the original turret that you demoed with the beta testers, or did you choose the smaller 63 mm turret? I remember hearing something about wanting to downsize to make more room on the cross slide or under the enclosure.

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ag53711 View Post
    In stock and shipping now.
    Thanks Andy. Just need to make room and check my budget before ordering.

Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rob1934 View Post
    Don,

I saw your closer and modifications on another thread. I decided on the Atlas because it also is a D1-4 mount, but the biggest reason for the Atlas is the dead length function. It already has the through hole, and quick disconnect hoses.

The price was pretty much the same. The Tormach is so new, I knew I'd never find a used closer. I'll doing a lot of production work, so I'm hopeful this will all pay off.

Rob

Attachment 259850
    Im planing to buy an atlas collet closer, how does yours work along this time?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by karloterrazas View Post
    Works great! It’s on the lathe 90% of the time.

The only regret was not purchasing the 3J collet size. With 3J, one can go up a few more sizes to the spindle ID. Everything else I have has a 5C setup, so I went with that size. So now I’m limited to 1” bar feed.

Last edited by rob1934; 05-06-2021 at 09:44 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Is there a reason you don't want the Dunham system Tormach sells? Everything is already made to fit the machine and it comes with the interface needed. Just curious. FWIW Tormach now sells the EZ puller with a stem to fit the round tool holders if you have a turret.

-Jon
    instagram @hermit.shed

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by maker of things View Post
    Is there a reason you don't want the Dunham system Tormach sells? Everything is already made to fit the machine and it comes with the interface needed. Just curious. FWIW Tormach now sells the EZ puller with a stem to fit the round tool holders if you have a turret.
    I'm wanting one for the 8l lathe. For me this is same as pdb on mill. It is almost required to have. To many doors to open and close, to many things to loosen and tighten. In short not real handy to do all those steps . Not having to open motor cabinet and tighten collets would be a good start in less steps

Downloads
    Uploads

the point that you can change from collet to chuck, easy and quick got my attention, not needed to worry about the draw tube anymore or adapters. The only drawback is that i have never seen one atlas in function, not even on video...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    I'm wanting one for the 8l lathe. For me this is same as pdb on mill. It is almost required to have. To many doors to open and close, to many things to loosen and tighten. In short not real handy to do all those steps . Not having to open motor cabinet and tighten collets would be a good start in less steps
    I agree with you, i had to quote 1000 delrin pins, it uses 4 tools and the only way to win the job is to make the part in less than a minute, open and close, loosen and tighten, it´s against wining job quotes.

Downloads
    Uploads

the point that you can change from collet to chuck, easy and quick got my attention, not needed to worry about the draw tube anymore or adapters. The only drawback is that i have never seen one atlas in function, not even on video...
    FWIW, the Dunham I have on my SL15 (similar to the Tormach,closer but pre-dating it) does not require anything to be removed or replaced to switch between chuck and collets, although removing and replacing the chuck is probably a good plan..

Downloads
    Uploads

I must be missing something, doesn't the 8L use a chuck that is on a 5c mount? No reason I can see why you would ever need to take the drawtube out or remove the Dunham on the 8L. Effectively the Dunham unit is a large air cylinder with a throughbore. When engaged it pulls on the drawtube to tighten the collet. From what I can tell on the 8L you have to spin a nut to pull the collet tight.

To me, looking at the manual for the 8L, it looks like the threaded holes are there for the dunham already on the end of the pulley, they probably just haven't figured out the sheetmetal mount required to keep the unit from spinning.

As an alternative, the Haas CL-1 is probably worth looking at for ideas. They just use a manual type closer arm and an air cylinder like Tormach tried originally on the Slant Pro.

-Jon
    instagram @hermit.shed

Downloads
    Uploads

I must be missing something, doesn't the 8L use a chuck that is on a 5c mount? No reason I can see why you would ever need to take the drawtube out or remove the Dunham on the 8L. Effectively the Dunham unit is a large air cylinder with a throughbore. When engaged it pulls on the drawtube to tighten the collet. From what I can tell on the 8L you have to spin a nut to pull the collet tight.

To me, looking at the manual for the 8L, it looks like the threaded holes are there for the dunham already on the end of the pulley, they probably just haven't figured out the sheetmetal mount required to keep the unit from spinning.

As an alternative, the Haas CL-1 is probably worth looking at for ideas. They just use a manual type closer arm and an air cylinder like Tormach tried originally on the Slant Pro.
    I want to just install and use one. To many steps just to position stock. I asked tormach they said they are working on it, but no schedule

Thanks for the info. I was talking to Dunham and looking at the units. But I never seen one up close. I did not understand the mount part to hold it from turning. I asked for install diagram but it did not explain the part you just did in words above.
    Looks like I need the 5k rpm unit, adapter, drawtube, air control then fab a mount. I guess and it should work. I'm handicapped and hands have limited function, so these options quickly become required.

Thanks again for info

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    I want to just install and use one. To many steps just to position stock. I asked tormach they said they are working on it, but no schedule

Thanks for the info. I was talking to Dunham and looking at the units. But I never seen one up close. I did not understand the mount part to hold it from turning. I asked for install diagram but it did not explain the part you just did in words above.
    Looks like I need the 5k rpm unit, adapter, drawtube, air control then fab a mount. I guess and it should work. I'm handicapped and hands have limited function, so these options quickly become required.

Thanks again for info
    5000 rpm, right, that adds a few bucks to the deal doesn't it? I attached a pic from the back showing how the bracket interfaces. It's nothing really. Sheet metal trim for the air fittings to bump against. The upclose pic shows the mount to the spindle. Without taking fully apart looks like about 60mm o.c square (probably a bolt circle) 6mm thread. Looks like something similar on the outside end of the pulley on the 8L? Unless Tormach will sell you the control setup for air, I'm sure the usb I/O kit and foot switch would do the trick. Looks like Dunham has a control also but then you can't ever automate.

Lathe Collet Closer-img_3146-jpgLathe Collet Closer-img_3147-jpg

-Jon
    instagram @hermit.shed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12