.625" thick access door plate mod 1100 series 3

Thread: .625" thick access door plate mod 1100 series 3

Downloads
    Uploads

Default .625" thick access door plate mod 1100 series 3

I recently picked up an 1100 series 3 machine from a lab that I occasionally purchase tech assets from. Ive never had a hobby grade machine since I started using CNC in 1999. We have 2 DMG Mori VMCs a 5 and a 4 axis here but this was almost a freebie so I figured why not. Good for training on anyway. Made some test cuts and about what I expected, thinking about maybe selling but then I saw the cnc cookbook mod to the rear access door.

Took a .625" plate and made a rear access door with 8 holes for 5/16 bolts. Face milled the contact side. Drilled and tapped the casting all the way through. I used a torque wrench to tighten. Wow, it actually made a difference, especially in steel. Definitely keeping the machine for small parts and training. I recommend the mod! I dont know how many others have tried this, I could only find the one mention and photo, no attribution.