Advice needed on buying a used PCNC 1100 or going with a new, smaller machine ...

Thread: Advice needed on buying a used PCNC 1100 or going with a new, smaller machine ...

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Advice needed on buying a used PCNC 1100 or going with a new, smaller machine ...

I am dipping my toes in the waters of machining as a part-time gig. My focus for now will be small jobs from Xometry. I know people have strong opinions about Xometry, but it's the decision I've made that's best for me and my current goals.

If you were starting a small, one-person, side-gig CNC machining business in your garage, what machine would you choose? Please keep in mind that my budget is somewhere in the $16k range.

My options are :
    - A new PCNC 440 with some extras.
    - A new 770M with very limited extras.
    - A used PCNC 1100 with lots of extras, for a great price that is pushing my budget a little, but well below $20k. Below is a list of what comes with the used PCNC 1100.

Here's a little about me. I'm a tech nerd. I'm in my 36th year as software engineer. I love Fusion 360. I'm finishing off a Fusion 360 deep-dive course. In October, I head to Saunders Machine Works (DIY CNC) for his Hands On CNC Machining Training Class. I already own and work on a manual lathe and milling machine.

Thanks!
    Chris

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by AmericanMakerGarage; 08-08-2022 at 02:11 PM.

Default Re: Advice needed on buying a used PCNC 1100 or going with a new, smaller machine ...

Honestly that's a tough call given what you're trying to do. My gut reaction is get the largest and most powerful machine you can afford because that's what's ultimately going to hold you back. After 3 years, I'm still very happy that I went with the 1100 (now upgrade to MX) but even so, I often run out of horsepower and table space. I have access to a Haas DT1 at work and running that machine for a couple days, then switching back to my Tormach makes me dream of a bigger machines someday. Based on that, I would say get the used 1100. The ATC is a big efficiency bonus and the tooling represents a large investment that will have to be made with any machine you buy. The fixture plate is a very nice addition as well.

BUT, the early 1100's as I recall, are limited in terms of spindle and table speeds which will reduce your throughput with softer materials (aluminum/plastic) and small tools. It also has no upgrade path anymore. The 770M on the other hand, has a 10k spindle and options to add servos and a BT30 spindle later on which are not essential by any means, but very nice to have. Don't discount the value of 300ipm rapids when you're hogging out material. It doesn't seem like it will make a big difference, but it definitely does.

I think in the end, I would probably go for the 1100 with a plan to replace or add to it with a newer machine as soon as funds allow.