Need Help! Tormach 1100 tune up. X/Y axis Gib adjustment

Thread: Tormach 1100 tune up. X/Y axis Gib adjustment

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Tormach 1100 tune up. X/Y axis Gib adjustment

Hello Forum
    Acquired a used Series 3 that needs a tune-up.

I placed a mag dial indicator on the mill bed with a zero'd dial indicator touching the Y axis. Looking down from the top (Z axis perspective), I torqued the table in both a clockwise and counterclockwise direction to observe +/- .005" deflection on the needle.

My studies from watching various videos and readings lead me to understand that tapered gibs;
    they are one piece with one adjustment screw that functions to tighten the gib, the other is to "set" the gib. The adjustment screws push the gibs in one direction or another. Making an adjustment on one screw requires that the opposite screw be backed off a similar amount so that the gib does not "bow". That over tightening the screws can "bow" the gib and accelerate wear, that when making an adjustment on the y axis influences the x axis adjustments as well. Finally, indications of a over tightened gib can present itself as lost motion when reversing table direction.

Yes, it's f'n with me. Any suggestions, advice or realigning my reasoning would be appreciated

Thank you again

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Tormach 1100 tune up. X/Y axis Gib adjustment

Here is a link to NYCNC youtube channel.. You will have to search for it but he has a good video on setting up the gibs.

Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by toyshop View Post
    Here is a link to NYCNC youtube channel.. You will have to search for it but he has a good video on setting up the gibs.

Dave
    Hi Dave

Thanks for responding and the link. Watched that video and more. Doing it how NYCNC did & still not getting the resolution they did and I am shooting for.
    Looking for a tormach forum. Possibly find answers there.

Jerry

Downloads
    Uploads

There's a few Facebook groups for Tormach owners, if you can stomach FB policies.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    There's a few Facebook groups for Tormach owners, if you can stomach FB policies.
    What is funny is I have never created a face book account. And yet I am told I have one! Scary that they will create one for you. I think its to pad their stats. But that is like cheating at golf. LOL it does not help your game or your ability to play!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    What is funny is I have never created a face book account. And yet I am told I have one! Scary that they will create one for you. I think its to pad their stats. But that is like cheating at golf. LOL it does not help your game or your ability to play!
    Figured out the adjustments
    Agree............I am not at all a fan of fakebook and refuse to stoop to Mark Zuckerberg

Downloads
    Uploads

Fock Fackbook and Mark Z. ..............figured it out. Combination of adjusting gibs and bearing preloads using NYCNC techniques!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Dave!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mofosheee View Post
    Fock Fackbook and Mark Z. ..............figured it out. Combination of adjusting gibs and bearing preloads using NYCNC techniques!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Dave!
    Great!
    I wanted to help but machine adjustments can be difficult and frustrating to do and or explain to others.
    It is often a combination of many things and any one can effect the performance.