Is TORMACH in danger of pricing themselves out? - Page 2


Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 33 of 33

Thread: Is TORMACH in danger of pricing themselves out?

  1. #21
    Member mountaindew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    2073
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Is TORMACH in danger of pricing themselves out?

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    MD - have you switched from SprutCAM to F360?
    No I still use sprutcam and ironcad combo for cad cam. And Getting ready to update to sprutcam 15 next week I think. I'm like the only user on earth lol. It works but is not cheap.
    I use both of these programs at expert level so It would take a great deal of time to change to another product like fusion and use it at the level I use these programs at.

    I would like a vcarve type program more focused on router projects but its not in budget yet.

    Anyway what do you use or like?



  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    179
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Is TORMACH in danger of pricing themselves out?

    Not so much Tormach, but economic factors around the world. Big tariffs put on machines a few years back plus massive rise in costs of container shipping out of China, plus long waiting times for delivery ( as of today there were over 100 ships anchored off Los Angeles waiting for dock space). Add to that the Biden giveaways which are already showing up everywhere as price increases on everything. China's economy is teetering on the brink of collapse, especially in the massive real estate bubble, and when that bursts, it will be a ripple effect all around the world, so we may see another recession and housing market slowdown. The Chinese chip business is rife with massive fraud and that has led to a new car shortage bringing used car prices up, and used cars cannot be financed for as long and at low rates like new, plus the lack of warranty means more out of pocket cash for buyer repairs. All of these factors point to less money for people to spend on their hobbies.



  3. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3044
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Is TORMACH in danger of pricing themselves out?

    Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    I would like a vcarve type program more focused on router projects but its not in budget yet.

    Anyway what do you use or like?
    I use Alibre CAD for paid work and the free version of Onshape for hobby work. I use SprutCAM for, uh, CAM but have a paid version of F360 which I don't like to use but may need for 5-axis work if I ever get a 5-axis mill. I need to upgrade to SC 15, but have been putting it off until some rework of SC14 projects are finished. I just bought a Micro-Arc so should be starting to do some 4th axis work in SC 14.

    V-Carve is supposed to be almost a standard for CNC routers from what I've heard.



  4. #24
    Member kstrauss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1716
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Is TORMACH in danger of pricing themselves out?

    I've used VCarve for years on my 770. Yes, it is really oriented towards fancy signs and such but if you import a .DXF prepared in other CAD products it works great for 2.5d jobs. I am less than thrilled with its 4th axis support. And, sadly, it lacks anything HSM related. It does do thread milling. The good news is that you actually purchase the product (not a monthly/yearly rental) so you can skip upgrades if desired.



  5. #25
    Member mountaindew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    2073
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Is TORMACH in danger of pricing themselves out?

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    I use Alibre CAD for paid work and the free version of Onshape for hobby work. I use SprutCAM for, uh, CAM but have a paid version of F360 which I don't like to use but may need for 5-axis work if I ever get a 5-axis mill. I need to upgrade to SC 15, but have been putting it off until some rework of SC14 projects are finished. I just bought a Micro-Arc so should be starting to do some 4th axis work in SC 14.

    V-Carve is supposed to be almost a standard for CNC routers from what I've heard.
    Oh nice, 4-5 axis machine. I uploaded a model for a small tomb stone a couple years ago to grabcad. I was told by a few people they use it or some version of it on micro arcs

    I figured I was about the only user of sprutcam these days. Looks like V15 they added ability to do multi fixture, multi offset, multi operation setups. Looks easy to use and setup. This was something I had done for years but it takes big time skill and it was still hard to do. I requested this feature a couple times over the years but figured nobody even read the request. ??. Also 3d drawing of simple models was added.
    Anyway I was told I'm the only user of sprutcam to drive 8l lathe and 24r router. And for most part I get great results on all 3 machines. Just have to know your way around that software or it can be frustrating.



  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3044
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Is TORMACH in danger of pricing themselves out?

    The folks that make the Pocket NC 5-axis tabletop mill are developing a larger brother with more professional features, including a tool changer, It may be available some time next year and will be be way more than I could justify spending (as a business expense) but the want is still there.



  7. #27
    Member mountaindew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    2073
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Is TORMACH in danger of pricing themselves out?

    Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Oh nice, 4-5 axis machine. I uploaded a model for a small tomb stone a couple years ago to grabcad. I was told by a few people they use it or some version of it on micro arcs

    I figured I was about the only user of sprutcam these days. Looks like V15 they added ability to do multi fixture, multi offset, multi operation setups. Looks easy to use and setup. This was something I had done for years but it takes big time skill and it was still hard to do. I requested this feature a couple times over the years but figured nobody even read the request. ??. Also 3d drawing of simple models was added.
    Anyway I was told I'm the only user of sprutcam to drive 8l lathe and 24r router. And for most part I get great results on all 3 machines. Just have to know your way around that software or it can be frustrating.



    Oops I ment to say pocket nc not micro arc for the small tomb stone



  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    531
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Is TORMACH in danger of pricing themselves out?

    Mountaindew,

    I also continue to use SprutCam, although I have not upgraded in a few years......

    Robert



  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3044
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Is TORMACH in danger of pricing themselves out?

    Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    Oops I ment to say pocket nc not micro arc for the small tomb stone
    I'd wondered if that's what you'd meant.



  10. #30
    Member popspipes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1673
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Is TORMACH in danger of pricing themselves out?

    I still use Sprutcam as well, does everything I need to do...........no rental fees...........no cloud problems........no forced updates etc.

    mike sr


  11. #31

    Default Re: Is TORMACH in danger of pricing themselves out?

    I using Sprutcam. Stiff learning curve compared to Fusion 360, but getting there.



  12. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3044
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Is TORMACH in danger of pricing themselves out?

    Quote Originally Posted by jlchapman View Post
    I using Sprutcam. Stiff learning curve compared to Fusion 360, but getting there.
    I've been using it since 2007 or thereabouts and it is starting to make sense for me now. Either they've made a lot of improvements or I've just learned to deal with the idiosyncrasies of the product.

    I do wish that they would update the UI to something more intuitive. For example, most apps let you "tab" between fields in a dialog box in a logical manner - SC bounces randomly from one field to another.



  13. #33
    Member mountaindew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    2073
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Is TORMACH in danger of pricing themselves out?

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    I've been using it since 2007 or thereabouts and it is starting to make sense for me now. Either they've made a lot of improvements or I've just learned to deal with the idiosyncrasies of the product.

    I do wish that they would update the UI to something more intuitive. For example, most apps let you "tab" between fields in a dialog box in a logical manner - SC bounces randomly from one field to another.
    The program has improved alot over the years. The tool table was a wreck and almost Un usable for many versions. Then they changed it and it was confusing to use but major Improvement over all previous versions.. They have slowly fixed or added functionality and now it works very well.
    Same with operations. They reduced or eliminated a few that were not that useful and then enhanced the others to make up for the changes.
    Simulation is more stable and far smoother to use also. For most part you get exactly what you see for results. Help is also a factor better then before but still the program is hard to learn at the higher levels it can be used at. It often takes time and experimenting to get tool paths and settings that work good. There is just so many things you have control of. it can frustrate any user trying to find the one setting giving you grief or causing un expected result. But you can save good operation setups as user ops and use in any program. This saves hundreds of clicks and makes it almost simple to get good results fast. I still run into quirks in the lathe section that can get me scratching my head and frustrate me.
    But on the other hand i could set it up to use a flipped from standard x axis on 8l lathe and still get it to generate good code and simulate correctly. The settings and flexibility is there just have to dig in and do it.
    The post editor even works better and is same as c# compiler. Making post changes possible



Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


About CNCzone.com

    We are the largest and most active discussion forum for manufacturing industry. The site is 100% free to join and use, so join today!

Follow us on


Our Brands

Is TORMACH in danger of pricing themselves out?

Is TORMACH in danger of pricing themselves out?

Is TORMACH in danger of pricing themselves out?