Need Help! 1100M vs. used Haas Mini Mill or TM-0 - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1100M vs. used Haas Mini Mill or TM-0

Downloads
    Uploads

Below is good advice
    I would dress what others have said about knowing what you are going to make first. I was a novice at Cnc and I needed to make parts that could only be done in a 4th axis. Industrial 4th axis units alone can cost more than a Tormach
    For me it was a no brainer to get a Tormach to learn on and build my business. The support is terrific and it will get you set in the right direction for a real vmc
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by soofle616 View Post
    Cliff notes: If you know what you're doing and you have a chunk of money to spend all at once, buy the Haas. If you're new to the game, Tormach ftw

Biggest reason in my mind to buy a Tormach over a Haas is the massively reduced barrier to entry with respect to knowledge. I applaud all you guys that have years of experience running, programming, and otherwise being around CNC machines. For a guy like me who essentially jumped into machining, programming, and CNC operating all at once with essentially zero knowledge base, having to figure all that stuff out while trying to wrap my head around the basic functions of a Haas or similar control panel AND knowing that every oops moment I had could potentially lead to a crash that I couldn't afford the repairs for was beyond overwhelming. Low horsepower, slower speeds, weaker axis motors, an intuitive UI that anyone with basic computer abilities can figure out, cheap parts, and (sorta) open source software meant I could focus on learning how to program and run the machine. Worked too. I've had mine less than two years now and I develop most of the new programs and fixtures that are being used by my employer to make our parts. I've figured out everything from basic toolpaths to thread milling and 3d surfacing, built my own 4th axis and used it to produce a nearly perfect 34 tooth spline on the first attempt, built my own smartcool clone that interfaces directly to the machine, added a DIY coolant mist collector, and am (slowly) working on an ATC and I/O module which will both integrate seamlessly to the existing controller. All of that while crashing the machine, breaking tools, flinging material around the enclosure, burning and cutting myself more times than I can count, ruining countless chunks of raw material, but never doing any damage to the machine itself. Other than some scratches in the paint and a cracked window that is.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 1100M vs. used Haas Mini Mill or TM-0

I have had a series 3 1100 for about 6 years and at the time it was maybe about 13k to get it with stand and power drawbar. I only keep it for the rapid turn but will be selling it all when my Haas lathe arrives. I think tormachs only make sense when going fairly barebones. Financing a haas is so easy it's ridiculous and a tm-0 or minimill is cheaper than lots of peoples trucks these days. If you want a full stand and enclosure the tormachs get expensive. It's around $5000 for 1100s and 770s then add an atc and power drawbar and then you may as well just get a haas machine.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123