Need Help! Tormach pcnc 1100 mill

Thread: Tormach pcnc 1100 mill

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Tormach pcnc 1100 mill

Hi out there, I am thinking of purchasing a tormach pcnc 1100 mill. And need some information which tormach does not list on their spec sheet. If anyone can please inform me of the following. With the machine on the tormach base what is the minimum height of the machine. Will the machine fit under a 6 foot celling, my small garage as an build in office in the middle which lowers the celling to 6 foot, until I get the machine at the far end when height is not a problem. If I can get the machine to the rear without the need to split it, I would be a happy boy. So if anyone knows for sure what is the minimum height and could let me know, it would be nice. Thanks.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Tormach pcnc 1100 mill

Quote Originally Posted by Pugman1 View Post
    Hi out there, I am thinking of purchasing a tormach pcnc 1100 mill. And need some information which tormach does not list on their spec sheet. If anyone can please inform me of the following. With the machine on the tormach base what is the minimum height of the machine. Will the machine fit under a 6 foot celling, my small garage as an build in office in the middle which lowers the celling to 6 foot, until I get the machine at the far end when height is not a problem. If I can get the machine to the rear without the need to split it, I would be a happy boy. So if anyone knows for sure what is the minimum height and could let me know, it would be nice. Thanks.
    I'm sure you could with the right setup. I would say worst case just pull the column off and rebuild on the other side. Not sure if Tormach columns are pinned but it should be fairly easy to tram again.

Sent from my BE2025 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for reply, but I am trying to find out if it’s possible to get the complete machine under the low ceiling. That’s why I need to know the minimum height of the machine on its stand.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for reply, but I am trying to find out if it’s possible to get the complete machine under the low ceiling. That’s why I need to know the minimum height of the machine on its stand.
    When you purchase one new it is not on the stand. If you are buying used I would simply remove it from the stand since it's not difficult at all to do and requires no recalibration after remount. Off the stand it's well under 6ft and like I said it would then depend on how you planned to move it.

The lowest possible method for moving it I can think of would be to remove from the stand then bolt the machine to a sheet of plywood(you could possibly get away without bolting if you have help to sturdy) then roll it in on say electrical conduit pipes. You'll likely need 3 or 4 cut to length of the plywood.

Sent from my BE2025 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks. Looks like that is what I will need to do. I have a pull all winch that would be able to move it too the rear wall. I was just hoping I would not need to split it. As I am a lazy bones

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks. Looks like that is what I will need to do. I have a pull all winch that would be able to move it too the rear wall. I was just hoping I would not need to split it. As I am a lazy bones
    You will have to split it for 6' clearance. I bought a 1100S3 that was in a framed/temp controlled room in a pole barn with standard 6'8" door jams. We pulled the Z-axis motor to get it under the jam with the mill on the Tormach base with a pallet jack doing the lifting.

Bruce

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BGHansen View Post
    You will have to split it for 6' clearance. I bought a 1100S3 that was in a framed/temp controlled room in a pole barn with standard 6'8" door jams. We pulled the Z-axis motor to get it under the jam with the mill on the Tormach base with a pallet jack doing the lifting.

Bruce
    Agreed. I took an old 1100 out and put a new MX in under a standard garage door. By pulling the Z motors it was barely doable on the stands, but there's no way it'll go under a 6" height like that. Pulling the base is not bad if you can employ an engine hoist or the like. There's a big ring-eye or better is to buy/borrow/make the lifting kit which keeps it better balanced..

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks chaps, looks like I will need to split it, bloody pain but we have small spaces in the uk. I have an engine hoist so can put back on stand. I am not should why I would need to retrain the machine if I don’t remove the head or the bed. If you mean making sure that the whole machine is level too the floor I can do that easily enough. O for a larger workshop.

Downloads
    Uploads

The assembled original PCNC 1100 needs around 90+" of vertical clearance to operate, taking into account the extreme movement of the head in the Z-axis. I ended up locating mine with the head between two ceiling joists to accommodate that clearance.

Downloads
    Uploads

One thing to add... I originally put my 1100 S2 in the garage on the raised floor (by about 4") section behind the tire stop. No issues until using the engine hoist to put the machine on the base. I had to shorten the lifting chains to a very short length, and it still had to be positioned just right to clear the ceiling structure. The top of the engine hoist had to be lifted until it poked about 2 or 3 inches into the ceiling insulation board to get it done. I don't remember the exact height of that ceiling. It was something I didn't think would be an issue but ended up with interference of a few inches even after shortening the lifting setup as much as possible. If you have 9 feet plus of ceiling in the clear area, you shouldn't have any problems with that.