Need Help! Limit Switch Triggers Accessory Input on PCNC 1100 S3

Thread: Limit Switch Triggers Accessory Input on PCNC 1100 S3

Downloads
    Uploads

Exclamation Limit Switch Triggers Accessory Input on PCNC 1100 S3

My 2015 PCNC 1100 Series 3 with PathPilot v2.7.2 has just developed an issue:

When the Y axis limit switch is actuated, PathPilot simultaneously detects an accessory input. This will estop the mill, giving this error message: 'Probe or tool setter input changed during motion.'

This prevents referencing the Y axis with the limit switches active.

There is no probe or tool setter plugged in. I've tried unplugging the front control panel (J3 30685), but the problem persists.

If you have any thoughts or ideas, I would love to hear them! I wonder if a loose connector, or a short could be the culprit. A temporary workaround could be to prevent PathPilot from estopping the mill when it detects an accessory input, but I don't know if this is possible. I couldn't find a way to do this via the ADMIN commands, but I'm no expert.

It might help to know that a few years ago one of the chips on the main board failed, and some VERY helpful members here helped diagnose the issue. I was able to replace that chip and it is still working to this day. But perhaps the new issue is also related to something on the main board.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Limit Switch Triggers Accessory Input on PCNC 1100 S3

Quote Originally Posted by Eli_Ben View Post
    My 2015 PCNC 1100 Series 3 with PathPilot v2.7.2 has just developed an issue:

When the Y axis limit switch is actuated, PathPilot simultaneously detects an accessory input. This will estop the mill, giving this error message: 'Probe or tool setter input changed during motion.'

There is no probe or tool setter plugged in. I've tried unplugging the front control panel (J3 30685), but the problem persists.

If you have any thoughts or ideas, I would love to hear them! I wonder if a loose connector, or a short could be the culprit.
    Possibly some electrical noise or the limit switch cable is becoming intermittent or poor grounding or something of the sort.. I had a weird problem not too long ago where having a toolsetter just plugged in would cause BT30 spindle encoder errors. That's a bit different, but there isn't a lot of EMI-control in the 1100 so it might be worth checking the cable attachments and grounds are still solid.

Loose connection, bad ground, or short circuits would be the place to start looking. A simple test would be to use a jumper wire or replacement switch and manually activate the limit switch to see if you get the same error. If not, that tells you the limit switch is the problem. I suspect that won't end up being the source so the next thing I would do is the same test but with a jumper or switch connected directly to the input pins on the control board. That would tell you if it's anywhere in the line from the board to the switch. If you can narrow it down that much it should be a simple matter to find the loose/broken/etc. wire or connection. If a switch directly to the board causes the same fault you are likely looking at a control board fault.

Downloads
    Uploads

I don;t know how to edit you config files but:

If you are unable to find the fault or it is at the board level AND you never use the probe, you could disconnect the hardware pin connected to motion.probe-input.

This could be achieved by commenting out lines in you hal file containing that pin

alternatively, edit the ini file to load a new hal file after the last hal file mentioned from the ini file that contains:

unlinkp motion.probe-input
    setp motion.probe-input 0

Another alternative I have used is to and2 the probe hardware pin with one of the motion.digital-out pins and modify your gcode probing routines to turn the pin on with M62/M63 before probing and off with M64/M65 after probing.

Rod Webster
    www.vmn.com.au

Downloads
    Uploads

Was there a resolution to this problem? I’m having a similar issue with the z axis switch triggering the accessory input or probe, not letting me reference z.