Monoprice touch screen monitor lifetime?

Thread: Monoprice touch screen monitor lifetime?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Monoprice touch screen monitor lifetime?

I hadn't used my 5-year old lathe for a while and powered it down for a couple weeks. I just turned it back on today and the Monoprice touchscreen monitor that I bought with the lathe fades out within a few seconds after power up. Cycling power to the monitor gets it working for a few seconds, just long enough to click a few onscreen buttons before it fades out again. Is there any chance of an affordable fix or should I just buy a new monitor?

To make it worse, someone from Tormach mentioned that they are working on a version of the Pathpilot Operator Console for the lathe, which may be available around the end of the year and I'll probably to replace the monitor before then.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Monoprice touch screen monitor lifetime?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post

To make it worse, someone from Tormach mentioned that they are working on a version of the Pathpilot Operator Console for the lathe, which may be available around the end of the year and I'll probably to replace the monitor before then.
    Can't help with the monitor. I heard that Tormach is releasing a new lathe soon as well.

Downloads
    Uploads

I hadn't used my 5-year old lathe for a while and powered it down for a couple weeks. I just turned it back on today and the Monoprice touchscreen monitor that I bought with the lathe fades out within a few seconds after power up. Cycling power to the monitor gets it working for a few seconds, just long enough to click a few onscreen buttons before it fades out again. Is there any chance of an affordable fix or should I just buy a new monitor?

Rut roe!
    I have 2 of them. one about 3 years old and one about 11 months old. Hope I dont have same problem

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, I ordered a replacement from Amazon, which arrived today, and the old one started working yesterday so I guess I have a spare. We've had a number of power outages here so I sort of assumed that voltage spikes from one of them had done in the monitor.

Downloads
    Uploads

For what it is worth I purchased a Monoprice 106959 17-Inch Monitor at the end of 2015 and it is still working great. Now I've probably jinxed it! With my probable problems in mind, which monitor did you order? Please let us know if it works with PP.

Downloads
    Uploads

Caps in the PSU... I have fixed a few of them.

CNC Machines: Tormach PCNC 1100 CNC Mill W4th Axis | Birmingham 12X36 Lathe W/ CNC Retrofit W/Tormach BOB PathPilot & SKCD200220 VFD | My Personal Blog www.stevenrhine.com

Downloads
    Uploads

The old monitor is still working fine and it's replacement is in storage awaiying complete failure of the original.

Downloads
    Uploads

The old monitor is still working fine and it's replacement is in storage awaiying complete failure of the original.
    They are hard to find currently. Went to buy a 3rd and could not find any for sale.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
    They are hard to find currently. Went to buy a 3rd and could not find any for sale.
    I got mine on Amazon, but I expect you already checked there.

Downloads
    Uploads

I got mine on Amazon, but I expect you already checked there.

Anyone in cnc land know of touch screens that work with PP.
    I have 2 monoprice units and would like a 3rd for 8l lathe, but they have been sold out for months now.
    Are there any others that work out of the box?

Downloads
    Uploads

Anyone in cnc land know of touch screens that work with PP.
    I have 2 monoprice units and would like a 3rd for 8l lathe, but they have been sold out for months now.
    Are there any others that work out of the box?
    I like industrial touch screens for that kind of environment as they last a whole lot longer, but anything that supports USB HID (most of the non-antique ones) will work with PP-- you might need to do an ADMIN TOUCHSCREEN to calibrate them.

I've got an ELO and Planar touch monitors now. I used to have a 3M point-of-sale touch monitor that was awesome, but it went with my old 1100
    Industrial monitors aren't cheap new, but usually available on eBay from people scrapping out restaurants and such.

One caveat, if you get an "Infrared" monitor (they have noticeably-deep bezels around the screen and are quite common in industrial), they work great until a chip gets in the bezel or you touch them with a drop of coolant on your finger, then they can freak out.

IIRC the Monoprice is a 'resistive' touch technology, which is old and reliable and works with chips and coolant, but can scratch and eventually wears out. You can look for other resistive-touch monitors on Amazon if you're fine with how the Monoprice works.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    I like industrial touch screens for that kind of environment as they last a whole lot longer, but anything that supports USB HID (most of the non-antique ones) will work with PP-- you might need to do an ADMIN TOUCHSCREEN to calibrate them.

I've got an ELO and Planar touch monitors now. I used to have a 3M point-of-sale touch monitor that was awesome, but it went with my old 1100
    Industrial monitors aren't cheap new, but usually available on eBay from people scrapping out restaurants and such.

One caveat, if you get an "Infrared" monitor (they have noticeably-deep bezels around the screen and are quite common in industrial), they work great until a chip gets in the bezel or you touch them with a drop of coolant on your finger, then they can freak out.

IIRC the Monoprice is a 'resistive' touch technology, which is old and reliable and works with chips and coolant, but can scratch and eventually wears out. You can look for other resistive-touch monitors on Amazon if you're fine with how the Monoprice works.
    The captive touch type work with pp?
    Search's for Linux compatible dont show much.
    Will look at brands you mention.
    I have to do something. The lathe is to distracting to use without a touchscreen. Looking up down left right all to start an operation or set a value. Should have spent the money and went with pp console.

Downloads
    Uploads

The captive touch type work with pp?
    Search's for Linux compatible dont show much.
    Will look at brands you mention.
    I have to do something. The lathe is to distracting to use without a touchscreen. Looking up down left right all to start an operation or set a value. Should have spent the money and went with pp console.
    Capacitive touch is a tricky one. "Multi-touch" monitors designed for Windows 10 may or may not work with PP. Some of them fall-back to single-touch if they aren't talking to Windows, but I have no idea which anymore as it's been years since I was deep into touch technology. Single-touch capacitive monitors may work, but there's a wet-hands and have to use a finger (no gloves) requirement kind of like phones (which are virtually all capacitive touch)