My New Controller

Thread: My New Controller

Downloads
    Uploads

Default My New Controller

A few threads are around detailing how people replaced their controller with new one, usually ditching the parallel port for ethernet and a mesa 7i92 interface card, however the mini PC they used are no longer available.

I trod this path and my initial attempt using a mini PC from AWOW failed as detailed elsewhere.

I have since bought an Intel NUC10i3FNK and installed 4GB ram and 120GB M.2 SSD. PathPilot2 installed without a problem but it failed to connect to the mill (series 1) over ethernet.

Hold the left shift and alt keys during the splash screen to get to the desktop and a terminal.

The NUC is a 10th Gen CPU and is Intel's first with an integrated ethernet controller so the likely cause was no suitable drivers in the PP2 install and a quick bit of searching confirmed this was the problem.

But how to get some drivers installed when you have no network connection - either through ethernet or WIFI? I never looked into the WIFI side of things - maybe this also needed new drivers - but it would only be a stepping stone to getting ethernet working in any case.

I bought a USB3 to ethernet adapter (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and plugged it in, rebooted and was able to access the internet.

The driver we need to install is called e1000e and the script here: https://gist.github.com/tonybruess/8249889519abd93dfba9 looked just the job to do the install.

Unfortunately the script has a few problems:
    1. The driver version is an old one.
    2. Accessing the can.oc.tc website was giving certificate errors.

The latest drivers are available from Intel's website https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/15817 and at the time of writing is 3.8.4

Edit the script to set the DRV_PKG_NAME to be "e10003-3.8.4".
    Delete or comment out the first wget line.
    Download the driver from Intel and put in the same place as the script.
    Run: tar zfx e10003-3.8.4.tar.gz
    Finally run the script: bash upgrade.sh

This will give an error towards the end because it tries to restart a second ethernet interface but there isn't one.

Remove the USB ethernet connection and plug in the ethernet cable from the NUC to the 7i92 mesa card, reboot and complete the PP2 configuration.

I have now been running this configuration for a few weeks without any problems. I have set things up to boot into a desktop and manually start PP2. The time to boot into the desktop and launch PP2 are impressively fast.

Dave.