New Fusion 360 limitations - Page 3

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Fusion 360 limitations

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: New Fusion 360 limitations

At the end of the day the only thing that really impacts me is the dropping of the tool change. However I can peice together the individual sections of code and add the tool change commands. The lack of rapids isn't that big a deal. I basically use it as a way to fill downtime and keep me from sitting on the couch too much. I don't really care if it takes all day to make something. I normally only make one thing on a weekend any way.

Downloads
    Uploads

Obviously you can piece together the individual sections of code and add the tool change commands. The problem is the likely disastrous result of joining the pieces out of sequence or accidentally omitting one piece. Naming the pieces to avoid this issue requires more discipline than many of us have.

Downloads
    Uploads

I always order them the way I want when doing the CAM work. I never let the application re-order them to reduce tool changes. Not terribly hard to pull off. The other alternative would be just to find one jab a year to do that results in collecting $500 from someone and call it a wash. I don't really want to get into having customers though. My personality is not suited for it. I'm all about having my freinds come over and hang out while we work on somehting interesting but it's never for money.

Downloads
    Uploads

the only thing that really impacts me is the dropping of the tool change
    A script and some discipline can deal with the tool changes, although that's quite annoying.

The lack of rapids, though --- that's quite a problem!

Downloads
    Uploads

Guys

Take a look at the following thread on the FreeCAD forum.

Perhaps there will be light at the end of the tunnel even if not in the short term

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=50276

Regards

Tony Aimer

Downloads
    Uploads

Perhaps there will be light at the end of the tunnel even if not in the short term
    The thing is FreeCad will continue to improve. There is no guarantee that Fusion won't continue to get worse for those of us who choose not to pay.
    3D tool paths at Fusion's quality won't be part of FreeCad any time real soon unfortunately. The open source coders at FreeCad must have lost the bidding war for HSMworks ? Fusion still does things I want/need but it's starting to feel like some kind of drug habit.

Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    My understanding is that changes include no rapids, no 4th axis, single tool per gcode file, no STEP export and no DXF export. If I am correct then their CAM would be useless and one cannot utilize any other CAM software due to export restrictions. Thankfully, I haven't yet invested enough hours into learning Fusion and I could easily be wrong.
    Fark. But I reckon $1000 for 3 years is excellent value. I started a thread sometime ago about Fusion 360 because this was expected. https://www.cnczone.com/forums/autod...-software.html

Talk of FreeCAD being able to do a sniff of Fusion 360 is dream world. Better of going Dolphin and/or Vetric.

Downloads
    Uploads

I agree with TurboStep 100% I am a software developer and I know how much work goes into development. When I was just getting into CNC I was attracted to F360 because of all of the great tutorials that could be found and because it was free. I played with ProEngineer in the past but never go proficient with with and that was my only CAD experience. I expected this to eventually happen but the price is still pretty good. A year subscription is less that two months of TV+Internet. I don't have a tool changer and I already create one file per tool but the loss of rapids, simulation, exporting to .step and to a lessor extent the document limit where the nut busters for me. So I am going suck it up and subscribe. I'll probably get the 3 year subscription just to lock in the price.

Downloads
    Uploads

2 things here, I see cloud rendering require "cloud credits" and they are not cheap, and that's for the paid version. I am not extremely well versed in F360, but I notice a lot of what I export is cloud rendered. Is this and optional thing I didn't realize I don't need?
    At least with the Tormach's, we can edit the g code before running, couldn't we just patch in the rapid moves before running the code? I am overly cautious and I cut mainly SS. I'm not moving quickly in the 1st place, I would have that the ENTIRE tool path was that speed?!
    I agree with the thought that hobbyist are getting a lot of bang for the buck, but many of us are learning as we go and the payoff is, if we make something of ourselves, F360 reaps the benefit. Also, what is the first go to when people speak of CAD/CAM? F360 has got to be at the top of that list. They have got to making money from those companies who want there tools in Fusion 360 library and any other advertisement available to outside companies. Ultimately I have spent good 18 months learning F360, I can't start over somewhere else.

Downloads
    Uploads

Cam simulation is still there. FEA simulation is what they pulled.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cyclestart View Post
    The thing is FreeCad will continue to improve. There is no guarantee that Fusion won't continue to get worse for those of us who choose not to pay.
    3D tool paths at Fusion's quality won't be part of FreeCad any time real soon unfortunately. The open source coders at FreeCad must have lost the bidding war for HSMworks ? Fusion still does things I want/need but it's starting to feel like some kind of drug habit.
    The drug habit quote is probably not too far from the reality-give it away till you get them hooked and then the price goes up.Of course,in the meantime those trying to earn a living selling modestly priced packages will have endured tough times.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cyclestart View Post
    No...you can set your watch by the price of Fusion continuing to go up.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Tigster View Post
    ...couldn't we just patch in the rapid moves before running the code?
    I'm not sure what the impact of the rapid restriction will actually be. There's a check button for rapid retracts:

New Fusion 360 limitations-allowrapidretract-jpg

but the retract feed rate could simply be set to the rapid rate (just guessing here) and perhaps the high feedrate mode might only have the "Always use high feed" option available - but that could just be set to a high value!

New Fusion 360 limitations-highfeedretemode-jpg

Perhaps I'm missing something but there would appear to be enough workarounds to adjust the feed rate behaviour without resorting to manual code changes. It's difficult to know for sure.
    I don't want to have to string code segments together manually. That's a recipe for disaster likely to cost me more than the price of a license
    Maybe we should wait until 1st October and check what they've left in. After all, we're all just hobby users - aren't we?
    Step

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post
    There's a check button for rapid retracts but the retract feed rate could simply be set to the rapid rate (just guessing here) and perhaps the high feedrate mode might only have the "Always use high feed" option available - but that could just be set to a high value!
    Step
    Probably the easiest solution for Autodesk would be constrain the retract feed rate and high feed rates to be equal to the cutting feed rate. No menu deletions and it would make it rather difficult to circumvent.

A question related to just waiting: When does the special pricing end?

Downloads
    Uploads

"Special Pricing"

Do you really believe that Autodesk will never have a quarter end that requires a little extra oomph in the sales cycle?
    Or a year-end where they're scrambling to catch up to previously estimated budget goals?

I think special pricing from Autodesk will be approximately as common as sales at a department store. I could be wrong, of course, but letting "special pricing" affect the timing of when you make a decision, means that you're dancing to their music, not your own.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    Probably the easiest solution for Autodesk would be constrain the retract feed rate and high feed rates to be equal to the cutting feed rate. No menu deletions and it would make it rather difficult to circumvent.

A question related to just waiting: When does the special pricing end?

I would think the retract feed could play a part. I'm not sure what would happen to the cycles like "Drilling - rapid out". On the other hand there is a "useG0" post processor option (not used by the Tormach post I'm using) which converts rapid moves to linearized moves (straight moves instead of dogleg rapids). I really cant say what the impact will be.

From the US site:
    Offer available from August 7 until October 23, 2020 in the United States, Canada and Latin America. Some products and conditions vary per region.

Available from participating resellers and Autodesk Stores only. Reseller prices may vary. Please consult your local Autodesk reseller for further details.

AUTODESK RESERVES THE RIGHT TO CANCEL, SUSPEND OR MODIFY PART OF OR THIS ENTIRE OFFER AT ANY TIME WITHOUT NOTICE, FOR ANY REASON IN ITS SOLE DISCRETION. PRICES FOR AUTODESK SOFTWARE ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE.

The Swiss site states only until 16th October, so everyone should check their local offer.

Step

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    "Special Pricing"

Do you really believe that Autodesk will never have a quarter end that requires a little extra oomph in the sales cycle?
    Or a year-end where they're scrambling to catch up to previously estimated budget goals?

I think special pricing from Autodesk will be approximately as common as sales at a department store. I could be wrong, of course, but letting "special pricing" affect the timing of when you make a decision, means that you're dancing to their music, not your own.
    You're probably right. Isn't the sole objective of a "product manager" to make you dance?

Downloads
    Uploads

I've just realized how reasonably priced Fusion 360 really is. I wanted to purchase a new TTS R8 collet from Tormach and wasn't expecting them to be cheap. The current price is $39.95. Shipping to Europe has always been expensive, even with USPS. Unfortunately they no longer list USPS shipping and for UPS they charge $134.72 UPS then charge an additional $25-$30 for the pleasure of actually delivering it. Add import taxes and the total price comes to around $217. Add a second collet and the shipping increases an additional $23!
    The Fusion subscription is suddenly looking like a real bargain.
    Step

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post
    I've just realized how reasonably priced Fusion 360 really is. I wanted to purchase a new TTS R8 collet from Tormach and wasn't expecting them to be cheap. The current price is $39.95. Shipping to Europe has always been expensive, even with USPS. Unfortunately they no longer list USPS shipping and for UPS they charge $134.72 UPS then charge an additional $25-$30 for the pleasure of actually delivering it. Add import taxes and the total price comes to around $217. Add a second collet and the shipping increases an additional $23!
    The Fusion subscription is suddenly looking like a real bargain.
    Step
    Hello Step,
    I bought a Lyndex from Ebay, I am going to cut the end off an 1/8" so it will match what I have now, this may be a cheaper option for you at least on the shipping??

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ollet&_sacat=0

Last edited by popspipes; 09-21-2020 at 10:23 AM.
    mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

I looked at Fusion when the offer first came out and It was going to be an ordeal to learn and cloud based, the cloud and learning a new software package was not what I wanted to do.......

I did like the fact that the cam was integrated but it seems like there are a lot of problems associated with the cloud based software.

mike sr

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast