Rant Pendants - Page 2


Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38

Thread: Pendants

  1. #21
    Member scott216's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    118
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Pendants

    Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    The Shuttle has its own USB VID/PID (0b33:0020) so you'll have to figure out how to change the one that Arduino uses and probably change the Arduino IDE to recognize your modified device. Alternatively you can recompile the Shuttle handler used by PP to recognize the usual Arduino VID/PID (ISTR that the Shuttle VID/PID is hardcoded in the C source for the handler rather than relying on UDEV rules but I haven't checked for ages). Unfortunately you will then have to patch each version of PP to use your modified handler.
    I think the preferred way would be to have change the USB VID/PID in a Teensy so it was the same as the jog shuttle. Having to make changes after a PathPilot update would be a hassle.
    You would need to do a little reverse engineering to figure out how the shuttle USB protocol works now. Probably get some sort of USB snooper hardware or software. I wonder if you could mimic the jog shuttle with just keyboard commands sent from a Teensy microcontroller.

    "You can't teach stuff in a school that you would learn in real life unless the real life people are in charge of the school." - Gene Sherman


  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    24
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Pendants

    Quote Originally Posted by scott216 View Post
    I think the preferred way would be to have change the USB VID/PID in a Teensy so it was the same as the jog shuttle. Having to make changes after a PathPilot update would be a hassle.
    You would need to do a little reverse engineering to figure out how the shuttle USB protocol works now. Probably get some sort of USB snooper hardware or software. I wonder if you could mimic the jog shuttle with just keyboard commands sent from a Teensy microcontroller.
    The code in the Pendant with an attitude that was the start of this thread emulates the keyboard commands. The attitude sensing was just a gimmick to play with. It would be much easier to add buttons to press
    instead of the accelerometer sensing. If you wanted to try that the code is their already. I looked at the USB, if it was a HID device I might have been able to stumble through it and make something work but it has it's own driver and USB is way over my head.

    The code and stl files are in Thingiverse/Kisssys

    I always do a 3d print of what I'm building to test the idea out, I'll machine the top and bottom out of aluminum one of these days for the Shuttlexpress modified pendant.



  3. #23
    Member kstrauss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1619
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Pendants

    Looking at the driver the protocol between the Shuttle and PP is pretty clear so no USB sniffer is required.

    Using keyboard emulation it is easy to jog: X-axis, use the ?/? keys; Y-axis, use the ?/? keys; Z-axis, use the PgUp/PgDn keys; A-axis, use the ,/. (comma/period) keys. For me the ability to zero an axis is the most important missing capability and I am not aware of a PP keyboard shortcut for that; using an emulated mouse would solve the problem though. It is harder (impossible?) to get the smooth movement provided by the Shuttle rotary control.

    But seriously, why bother? A Contour Shuttle Express is only $59.99 from Amazon.



  4. #24
    Member kstrauss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1619
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Pendants

    Kisssys, I see your .stl and .svg files on thingiverse/kisssys but not the Teensy code. Is it available?



  5. #25
    Member scott216's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    118
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Pendants

    Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    But seriously, why bother? A Contour Shuttle Express is only $59.99 from Amazon.
    I was thinking if you wanted a different form factor you could build your own and have a Teensy send out the proper USB signals.

    "You can't teach stuff in a school that you would learn in real life unless the real life people are in charge of the school." - Gene Sherman


  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    24
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Pendants

    Missing Pendant code.

    It should be their now!



  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    24
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Pendants

    Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    Looking at the driver the protocol between the Shuttle and PP is pretty clear so no USB sniffer is required.

    Using keyboard emulation it is easy to jog: X-axis, use the ?/? keys; Y-axis, use the ?/? keys; Z-axis, use the PgUp/PgDn keys; A-axis, use the ,/. (comma/period) keys. For me the ability to zero an axis is the most important missing capability and I am not aware of a PP keyboard shortcut for that; using an emulated mouse would solve the problem though. It is harder (impossible?) to get the smooth movement provided by the Shuttle rotary control.

    But seriously, why bother? A Contour Shuttle Express is only $59.99 from Amazon.
    As I mentioned the keyboard emulation is in the Pendant with Attitude, and the reason to do it is to make something practical, not a pancake on the table.



  8. #28
    Member kstrauss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1619
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Pendants

    Quote Originally Posted by KissSys View Post
    Missing Pendant code.

    It should be their now!
    Thanks!



  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    670
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Pendants

    I would be real interested to see how Tormach is handling the code with their new pendant/console. Seems if we could dig into that piece we would have all the override sliders, axis controls etc.....

    Awall - The Body Armor Dude
    CoolCNCStuff_ on Instagram - CoolCNCStuff.com


  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    702
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Pendants

    Quote Originally Posted by smokediver576 View Post
    I would be real interested to see how Tormach is handling the code with their new pendant/console. Seems if we could dig into that piece we would have all the override sliders, axis controls etc.....
    Everything is open, what are you waiting for?

    I would prefer to add some additional features which aren‘t really compatible with the way they handled it.
    It may only be a question of time before Tormach produce a pendant, Frank appears to be working on „something“
    Step



  11. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    670
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Pendants

    Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post
    Everything is open, what are you waiting for?

    I would prefer to add some additional features which aren‘t really compatible with the way they handled it.
    It may only be a question of time before Tormach produce a pendant, Frank appears to be working on „something“
    Step
    But they must have some sort of controller inside the new Operator Console that's sending things like the feed override knobs. I know this is why MoonLightPrototype's pendent has to have a patch to update things. Seems Tormach has that built in or something. If the damn thing wasn't $2,000 I would just order it.

    https://tormach.com/media/asset/p/a/..._sheet_10_.pdf

    https://tormach.com/media/asset/t/d/...1100_0420a.pdf



    Links to the console.

    Awall - The Body Armor Dude
    CoolCNCStuff_ on Instagram - CoolCNCStuff.com


  12. #32
    Member kstrauss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1619
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Pendants

    Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post
    Everything is open, what are you waiting for?

    I would prefer to add some additional features which aren‘t really compatible with the way they handled it.
    It may only be a question of time before Tormach produce a pendant, Frank appears to be working on „something“
    Step
    Who is "Frank"?



  13. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    670
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Pendants

    After looking at the installation PDF I'm confused if the Brix computer is now in the console or if it's still under the unit in the stand..... If that price includes the Brix the price starts to make more sense.

    It appears it now has the computer inside the controller..... I wonder if it's the same CPU....

    What’s In the Box?

    Machine Controller
    Jog Pendant
    Wi-Fi Adapter
    Power Adapter
    Controller Enclosure Mount
    Controller Wire Kit

    Awall - The Body Armor Dude
    CoolCNCStuff_ on Instagram - CoolCNCStuff.com


  14. #34
    Member kstrauss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1619
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Pendants

    The $2000 gets you a little more than a pendant! In addition to the cost it is only available for M/MX machines and I have a 770s3.



  15. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    670
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Pendants

    Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    The $2000 gets you a little more than a pendant! In addition to the cost it is only available for M/MX machines and I have a 770s3.
    Yep, you are right about that! I have two 1100M machines. Considering doing the MX upgrade on one of them and then the other machine later down the road. Also, kind of waiting to see what they have brewing on a new Slant Pro lathe......

    Awall - The Body Armor Dude
    CoolCNCStuff_ on Instagram - CoolCNCStuff.com


  16. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    702
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Pendants

    Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    Who is "Frank"?
    Frank's the guy with the input device. Obviously I don't know anything more about it, maybe its just be some kind of test device or perhaps....
    As much as I like the shuttle I think they need something else for the router due to the size and the way you work with it (I'm assuming from MD's comments they still only provide the shuttle). I don't see any reason why a pendant couldn't contain most if not all the controls of the console + pendant and be an exact replacement.
    Step



  17. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    702
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Pendants

    Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    The $2000 gets you a little more than a pendant! In addition to the cost it is only available for M/MX machines and I have a 770s3.
    If the console contains the machine controller then the system relies on the embedded Mesa controller on the main controller board. Pre-M series machines require a Mesa card in the machine controller PC. This could be resolved with an ethernet Mesa card.
    I can't see any other reason (so far) why they shouldn't be compatible.
    Step



  18. #38
    Member mountaindew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    1927
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Pendants

    Quote Originally Posted by smokediver576 View Post
    After looking at the installation PDF I'm confused if the Brix computer is now in the console or if it's still under the unit in the stand..... If that price includes the Brix the price starts to make more sense.

    It is just a brix and they are small. And imho no real simple way to modify it in any way because of the form factor-size.
    Whatever the mx has for added control connections are not going into it. I had to get a usb net adapter just to hard wire network to it. Brix has only one network port and its used for connection to machine. The unit needs a usb expander to connect keyboard, mouse, puck, network and touch screen. Only other port is video. Not much to these things. Not a high performance pc by any means. I have the other size controller on mill and it boots and loads PP in half the time of the brix on the router.



Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


About CNCzone.com

    We are the largest and most active discussion forum for manufacturing industry. The site is 100% free to join and use, so join today!

Follow us on


Our Brands

Pendants

Pendants

Pendants