UPS for a Series 3 1100

Thread: UPS for a Series 3 1100

Downloads
    Uploads

Default UPS for a Series 3 1100

G'day guys,

Just wondering if anyone has used a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply)
    for the 1100 and the controller.

I thought that it might be worth doing, although I have no idea of what
    size unit I would need.

Michael

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: UPS for a Series 3 1100

I would think that a very expensive UPS might be needed if you want to protect the controller *and* the mill. Maybe a generator? I'm not sure what it would cost build a system that would guarantee zero down time.

Downloads
    Uploads

You can get battery UPS-es for sufficient capacity, although you'd have to pay a few grand. Also, it wouldn't run for many minutes if your mill is running full power. It might be enough to safely shut down, though.

What the large installations do is "continuous regeneration." You'll have something like a large flywheel, which you turn with an electric motor, and which in turn turns a generator. There is enough inertia in the flywheel to run the system for a few minutes without slowing down too much. You have a second motor, gas or diesel, which can clutch in if the electricity goes out, and which will start in 10-30 seconds to take over powering the system.

Large installations with sensitive equipment will use those kinds of systems, as will hospitals, data centers, etc.

Now, the interesting observation here is that the motor+flywheel+generator setup isn't that different from a rotary phase converter. Thus, you may be able to get a phase converter either adapted for this use, or maybe you can get some that already have the feature built in?

Downloads
    Uploads

I probably should have explained myself a bit better.

The property that I'll be moving to in about 6 months, seems to get black outs occasionally.

I figured that if the lights (on the ceiling) went out, it would at least give enough time shut the mill and the controller, gracefully.

I honestly had no intention of keeping it running. Just a better (safer) way of shutting the machine down.

So, any suggestions as to what size unit I might need would really be appreciated.

Michael

Downloads
    Uploads

For a 2 HP spindle, you'll want something like a 3000 VA UPS unit. Perhaps something like this: https://amzn.to/3ej7p8a

Exactly how the VFD and computer will take to the not-really-sinewave output of the UPS, is anyone's guess. Knowing something about the specific electronics typically used in those systems, my guess is you'll probably be fine, but the only way to know for sure is to try it!
    (Also, please report back, because this is an interesting subject!)

Downloads
    Uploads

My 770 runs on 117 volts but doesn't the 1100 need 230 volt power? The linked UPS appears to be 117 volt input/output so you may need a stepup transformer on the UPS's output plus a 30 amp 117 volt feed,

Agreed, please keep us informed. I often have brief power interruptions that can break tools!

Downloads
    Uploads

I put a HF clamp-on ammeter on my 1100s3 and measured less than 0.4 amps on my controller alone. Didn't vary running a routine or setting idle.

Think someone else mentioned that it'll be a challenge to run the 20 amp 240 volt circuit for very long on a battery. If you had enough batteries, sure.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, you're right; you need the X version: https://amzn.to/3ejKGJ8

Downloads
    Uploads

Or for $6500 a single Tesla powerwall.... and backstop your entire house from those power drops if they're really annoying.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BGHansen View Post
    I put a HF clamp-on ammeter on my 1100s3 and measured less than 0.4 amps on my controller alone. Didn't vary running a routine or setting idle.

Think someone else mentioned that it'll be a challenge to run the 20 amp 240 volt circuit for very long on a battery. If you had enough batteries, sure.
    Here's the message that I've sent to Tormach support.

I'm in Australia, so we use 240 volt and I have a 1100 - Series 3.

I would like to use a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) so that I can gracefully shut the mill
    and controller down, in the event of a power outage. I have no intention of running the machine
    on the UPS for any extended period of time.

I would like to know what the maximum (Watts) inrush current draw of the machine is, as
    this is going to determine which UPS I need.

Michael

Downloads
    Uploads

Why not base it on the amps that is needed for the breaker?