Changing cad cam software what is everyone using?

Thread: Changing cad cam software what is everyone using?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Changing cad cam software what is everyone using?

I have always used solidworks, NX, mastercam, and sprutcam on my Tormach. I am cleaning out my shop changing out computers and want to just go to one, two at most thinking of keeping the sprutcam cause it works good, but am thinking of adding fusion360 since it seem like it is turning into the most used software. Anyone on here using it?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Changing cad cam software what is everyone using?

I have been using Fusion 360 for a few years now. Has done everything we need, and the price is right.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Another option is to look at HSMworks. It is a plugin for solidworks. The post is well supported for Tormach PathPilot.

https://cam.autodesk.com/hsmposts?

Downloads
    Uploads

Rhino cad and Sprutcam here, pay once and done.

Rhino was easy to learn, Sprutcam not so much, but both work well for 2 and 3D projects.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes been using Fusion 360 for a few years now. I have started paying for it since it's making me money. Unless you are doing crazy complicated assemblies where you start pushing Fusion past the complexity of parts it is designed to handle (like an entire car) it seems to be the best supported option for Tormach. The post processor gets frequent updates etc.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you I will download their trial version and check it out.

Downloads
    Uploads

I know Fusion is the most used but I cant believe free software can hold up to World cla$$ 6k software like Solid Works for design work.

Downloads
    Uploads

First: Fusion is "free" as in "heroin." (Your dealer will absolutely give you the first one free!)

They make all their money from companies using the software, and they get more companies to use the software by making it freely available in the market to soak up all interest of people who are currently trying to learn some particular package. It's a long-term strategy, and when it works, it works GREAT. (This is similar to why companies usually offer academic discounts -- hook 'em early!)

Second: Autodesk has for a long time used Inventor as the direct competitor to SolidWorks. Inventor is a different code base than Fusion, but for the last 10 years, Autodesk has tried to merge functions from their various packages (they own Autocad, AND Inventor, AND 3ds Max, AND Maya, AND Fusion, AND so on -- a lot of 3D software!) I don't know how well it's working for them on the back side, but I've seen features from package A show up in package B over time, so something's going on there. And they're trying to move all the "fancy" stuff into the cloud, so any package can use their back-end (and they can charge for usage, which is generally better than charging for subscription, from their point of view.)

Third: The CAM package in Fusion is world class. I'm told it's based on Autodesk HSM, which in turn is a very popular CAM plugin for ... SolidWorks!

Fourth: There still are features that SolidWorks and Inventor have that Fusion doesn't. Fusion doesn't let you do cabling management or planning. Fusion doesn't let you reference a driven dimension as an input to another formula. Fusion doesn't have a "bolted connection" function. Fusion doesn't do tolerance stack-up for you. The fusion Thread feature doesn't have NPT threads. (But Fusion's Hole feature does! How can this be!?)

It turns out, for the work I do, I can get by without those features, and the support in the features I do use, is just as good as what I previously found in Inventor (or, for other 3D work, 3ds Max and Maya.)
    If you already have access to some other tool, and already know how to use that tool, then there's no reason to switch, of course. But Fusion can totally be an important part of a significant portion of design and manufacturing workflows in the world, no question about that!

Downloads
    Uploads

I know Fusion is the most used but I cant believe free software can hold up to World cla$$ 6k software like Solid Works for design work.
    It can't, but it can do 90-95%. And it has very good CAM.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

have always used solidworks, NX, mastercam, and sprutcam on my Tormach.
    please tormachmaster, would you describe a bit what you like, and what you don't like about each one ?

are you into 2d or 3d toolpaths ?

i wish to know, since most of my codes are not generated by cam's, and i intend to boost my programing speed, but i don't wanna lose time learning something that is fishy / kindly

we are merely at the start of " Internet of Things / Industrial Revolution 4.0 " era : a mix of AI, plastics, human estrangement, powerful non-state actors ...

Downloads
    Uploads

I used Alibre with BobCad-CAM back in the day, moved the CAD part to Onshape for a few years, and am now mostly migrated to Fusion. I like Onshape’s mechanical design flow better (Fusion has never felt quite as natural to me) but the integration with EDA (eagle) and associative CAM make up for it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Don't get me wrong I enjoy both Solidworks and ug, just bought a new computer and can't afford to install them on it. This is for a small home prototype shop. It turns out I just received a new project today that I need to try and get done today so I am downloading fusion360 to try it out for modeling and cam. this is just a simple part but it should let me know if it's very friendly since I have about three hours to get it done

Downloads
    Uploads

Well around three hours job is done fusion360 is nothing like solidworks or nx but I created my model, posted a program, and ran it. I have never used the software before and it was a bit frustrating but worked real good. I have another model to create much more complicated and more advanced for the machining end if it goes good I'm going to purchase a 3 year license.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by sansbury View Post
    I used Alibre with BobCad-CAM back in the day, moved the CAD part to Onshape for a few years, and am now mostly migrated to Fusion. I like Onshape’s mechanical design flow better (Fusion has never felt quite as natural to me) but the integration with EDA (eagle) and associative CAM make up for it.
    I've also never felt comfortable with the F360 CAD and prefer to use either Onshape or Alibre Expert. The CAM part of F360 intrigues me - did you find that pretty easy to learn? I'd be coming over from SprutCAM in case that matters to your answer.

Downloads
    Uploads

I just did my second model it was a bit more in detail but still nothing too bad. I can honestly say fusion360 is not like NX or Solidworks but for the cost I am going to try it out. I have not tried a multi axis part yet but so far it is very easy, modeled two parts and machined both under 5 hrs so for a first time use that's not bad. These are simple parts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    It can't, but it can do 90-95%. And it has very good CAM.
    Very true! I bet it breaks down and shows its shortfalls in a large working environment. For normal day to day designers like 99% of us, that are not trying to manage thousands of parts and assemblies it works great and does not require a lifetime of training. Fusion I bet is a strategy like jwatt mentions to get user experience and small companies hooked on Autodesk product work flow. Then make money off seats of big bloatware they sell for those companies that move on to scaled manufacturing. An experienced user base is important with any of these complex software packages and offering a free seat is a great way to do it.

Downloads
    Uploads

I bet it breaks down and shows its shortfalls in a large working environment.
    The pay-for version of Fusion also has pretty neat multi-user support, where multiple users can work on different parts of the same assembly, and then integrate them.
    Having that built into the tool, rather than try to squeeze it through some external revision control system, is a major benefit to teams that can use the flow and features they support.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well I played with Fusion360 4th axis machining and ran into a mess setting it up not very happy with multi axis so far. I can say that Sprutcam is much simpler for multi axis machining. I have contacted them to see if they have a tutorial on 4th axis milling just incase I'm just running in the wrong direction in the software or maybe the trial version doesn't have it.

Last edited by Tormachmaster; 01-28-2020 at 08:08 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

In case you hadn't seen them, there are several tutorials on YouTube:
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ion+4+axis+cam
    Being YouTube, they are of varying length, speed, and quality, but you'll probably quickly find some tuber who works for you and can follow their videos.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have learned the wrap feature in fusion360 it is good but still has a ways to go. I have decided to try it out since I have a backup to go to. 800 is pretty cheap for three years