Someone is offering a closed loop stepper upgrade for 770 and 1100. I'm backing it.

Thread: Someone is offering a closed loop stepper upgrade for 770 and 1100. I'm backing it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Someone is offering a closed loop stepper upgrade for 770 and 1100. I'm backing it.

To avoid falling afoul of advertising rules I'll just mention the name and how to go find it, as well as my reasoning.

After reading another thread this week on attempting servo upgrades to an older machine, there are a lot of issues, new power supplies, completely different drive method and a lot of software work. Things like the Z axis brake don't just work automatically. Too much work and tinkering when I'd rather be making parts.

There is a guy named Jody Olivent. You can find his stepper project if you search his name on youtube and kickstarter. He's offering to make up a batch of closed loop stepper kits, including the Z axis with brake. They not only will report a limit switch fault on the appropriate axis if they lose steps (which effectively is an E-stop), but a huge side benefit is that he's tested several types and the motors and drivers he's setteled on are more powerful than stock. Up to 300ipm rapids are possible, providing most of the benefits of the servo upgrade's performance (that Tormach doesn't offer for our series 1,2,3 machines) with a fairly easy install.

It's half the price of the Servo upgrade kit from Tormach, and he's sending all wiring and documentation with it. As far as I'm concerned it's a good enough deal to get me to bite since I wouldn't spend the time figuring this out otherwise.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Someone is offering a closed loop stepper upgrade for 770 and 1100. I'm backing

I can't remember the last time it looked like my mill had a problem with lost steps. Still, it's nice to see someone marketing the upgrade.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Someone is offering a closed loop stepper upgrade for 770 and 1100. I'm backing

I understand the nice to have faster speeds but I have not run into step issues at all. I do take care of my machine and I do not push it like a larger machine since it is a smaller machine. If you are having step problems you should first contact tormach and find out what is wrong with your machine. Last night a ran a bore hole 3.300" diameter and it was right on no issues at all. I have been running this machine for many years as a prototype machine with all kinds of materials and have had no issues. I like the project idea but in the same though it is more of a nice to have. I have seen many people push their machine as if it was a larger machine and of course that will bring problems. Cool project I just don't need it. I do hope it goes forward in the future good luck.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes absolutely. I have no missed step issues with my machine at all. The two great benefits to an otherwise working machine as far as I'm concerned are:

1) Much better crash protection. Remember, if enough steps are missed such as any decent crash the machine will actually STOP before it gets completely out of hand. It should stop long before you ever get to the stop button hopefully with minimal damage to machine and toolholder and maybe even the part.
    2) WAY faster rapids.

There's also just more in reserve and a missed step backstop if you want to try some really fast light adaptive cuts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Advil View Post
    To avoid falling afoul of advertising rules I'll just mention the name and how to go find it, as well as my reasoning.

After reading another thread this week on attempting servo upgrades to an older machine, there are a lot of issues, new power supplies, completely different drive method and a lot of software work. Things like the Z axis brake don't just work automatically. Too much work and tinkering when I'd rather be making parts.

There is a guy named Jody Olivent. You can find his stepper project if you search his name on youtube and kickstarter. He's offering to make up a batch of closed loop stepper kits, including the Z axis with brake. They not only will report a limit switch fault on the appropriate axis if they lose steps (which effectively is an E-stop), but a huge side benefit is that he's tested several types and the motors and drivers he's setteled on are more powerful than stock. Up to 300ipm rapids are possible, providing most of the benefits of the servo upgrade's performance (that Tormach doesn't offer for our series 1,2,3 machines) with a fairly easy install.

It's half the price of the Servo upgrade kit from Tormach, and he's sending all wiring and documentation with it. As far as I'm concerned it's a good enough deal to get me to bite since I wouldn't spend the time figuring this out otherwise.
    I just found this randomly and wanted to say thank you for sharing it. I really appreciate it. It was a good bit of work but everything is still running great. I wish it would have been a little more popular but it was a great learning experiance and it helped out several people who had issues with the factory steppers.

Best regards, Jody Olivent

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue35 View Post
    I just found this randomly and wanted to say thank you for sharing it. I really appreciate it. It was a good bit of work but everything is still running great. I wish it would have been a little more popular but it was a great learning experiance and it helped out several people who had issues with the factory steppers.

Best regards, Jody Olivent
    You are very welcome. I didn't know that was your profile on here.

Has it been 4 years already? Wow. Still using my 770 S3 with the closed loop kit all the time. Think I'm going to keep the 770 S3 for the long haul it's just too handy and prices aren't going down on new mills that's for sure.

If you are still tinkering with Tormach stuff, can I bother you occasionally with a question or two about some parts I'm trying to make work with the mill?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Advil View Post
    You are very welcome. I didn't know that was your profile on here.

Has it been 4 years already? Wow. Still using my 770 S3 with the closed loop kit all the time. Think I'm going to keep the 770 S3 for the long haul it's just too handy and prices aren't going down on new mills that's for sure.

If you are still tinkering with Tormach stuff, can I bother you occasionally with a question or two about some parts I'm trying to make work with the mill?
    Sure, Im happy to help out when I can.