Need Help! PCNC 1100 spindle control with Mach4 & ESS

Thread: PCNC 1100 spindle control with Mach4 & ESS

Downloads
    Uploads

Question PCNC 1100 spindle control with Mach4 & ESS

Hi All, I recently inherited a PCNC 1100. My brother had used the machine with Mach 3 and ESS. The PC he used to run the machine crashed, and we replaced it, but due to failing health he had not been able set up everything.
    I have upgraded it to Mach4 with ESS and have everything working except the spindle speed control. I am using Step and Direction for spindle control... If anyone is using a similar set up, could you give me some tips on how to adjust the spindle speed from mach?
    Thanks in advance,
    Andy

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: PCNC 1100 spindle control with Mach4 & ESS

Recommend that you upgrade to Pathpilot. https://www.tormach.com/store/index....show&ref=38710

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the suggestion but really looking for an answer, not a recommendation. The machine originally ran Tormachs version of Mach 3, it was converted to regular Mach 3 in order to incorporate the ESS. I currently have Mach4 and am very happy with it on two other machines I have and want to use it on this machine to keep everything the same.
    Andy

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by andysims View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion but really looking for an answer, not a recommendation. The machine originally ran Tormachs version of Mach 3, it was converted to regular Mach 3 in order to incorporate the ESS. I currently have Mach4 and am very happy with it on two other machines I have and want to use it on this machine to keep everything the same.
    Andy
    Maybe try a Mach forum? I havent seen any Mach 4 users posting on the Tormach forum since the inception of Pathpilot.

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

You could go to the Mach support forum. There is also the Warp9 forum (smoothstepper). The folks at Warp9 provide direct support (unlike for Mach4 Hobby) and go above and beyond trying to help. There is also a forum here for Mach4. If you are using a VFD, there is a forum here on the Zone dedicated to VFD/Spindle combinations with some very knowledgeable folks.

The problem is that you are in a narrow forum with users who aren't likely to relate to your issue. Yours appears to be a software setup issue (ESS, Mach4 or both, or maybe something to do with a VFD), assuming you have your hardware all hooked up correctly.

I wish I could be of more help, but I have a wood router CNC with spindle & VFD, and use PMW (0-10V) to control my spindle speed. All I have to offer is to point you in a better direction to get the answer you need.

The Old Man and the C -----NC

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi GME, Thanks for your reply... I have posted on both Warp9's and Mach's forums.and like you said Warp9 has responded but no one from Mach. The problem is a setup issue, I have mach4 controlling the spindle but calibrating the speed control is where I'm hung up... I too have a wood router CNC using Mach4 with VFD and have a 3D printer we built from scratch that uses Mach4, so I have a pretty good knowledge of Mach4 set up... just not familiar with the Tormach stuff. Again thanks for responding.
    Andy

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi GME, Thanks for your reply... I have posted on both Warp9's and Mach's forums.and like you said Warp9 has responded but no one from Mach. The problem is a setup issue, I have mach4 controlling the spindle but calibrating the speed control is where I'm hung up... I too have a wood router CNC using Mach4 with VFD and have a 3D printer we built from scratch that uses Mach4, so I have a pretty good knowledge of Mach4 set up... just not familiar with the Tormach stuff. Again thanks for responding.
    Andy
    This might help
    Could not copy text so I pasted pictures of old manual. I don't know if this is still available from tormach um10087 pcnc manual pdf

PCNC 1100 spindle control with Mach4 & ESS-vfdcal-jpg

PCNC 1100 spindle control with Mach4 & ESS-vfd2-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks MountainDew... I had just found those documents today and was making some adjustments based on some of the information they contain. I have made a lot of progress today and will post some info soon that may help others with similar setups.
    Andy

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks MountainDew... I had just found those documents today and was making some adjustments based on some of the information they contain. I have made a lot of progress today and will post some info soon that may help others with similar setups.
    Andy
    I have I had my PCNC 1100 Series II since July 2011 and I’m still running Mach III and it’s running flawlessly.

For a while I thought about switching to Path Pilot but I’ve read about too many things my Mach III will do that Path Pilot won’t. Things like tap holes.

You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

You can probably use Steve's Mach 3 settings to setup Mach 4.