Talk Me Out of a Tormach 770 - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Talk Me Out of a Tormach 770

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Talk Me Out of a Tormach 770

I've been running my 440 for 4 years - - only have experienced excellent customer support from Tormach; 1 repair (Z axis stepper) cheerfully replaced under warranty. Great machine for the price and size, so long as it matches your requirements. Threadmilling was a concern, but I threadmill now and it is so easy now that Fusion fully supports the CAM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    I use this (and its bigger brothers) for M3 and up: https://amzn.to/2OBhGBB -- it's a Micro 100 tool, and works well.
    It's a single-thread tool and thus works for a variety of nearby pitches.

I use this for M2.5: https://amzn.to/2KxxWCe -- this Sandvik was about $60 when I bought it. I think there are two sellers on Amazon with different pricing strategy :-)
    Note that that tool is multi-thread, and thus only works for the exact pitch.
    I haven't thread milled yet and am curious when threading into a blind hole,do you thread up?
    Do you have to pause and blow out chips every pass?

Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by toyshop View Post
    I haven't thread milled yet and am curious when threading into a blind hole,do you thread up?
    Do you have to pause and blow out chips every pass?

Dave
    In theory you get best results thread milling from bottom up.

oh and I enjoy using and makin stuff with all my tormach tools

Downloads
    Uploads

I use flood coolant, and have never stopped for chips when thread milling. They seem to just ... disappear? Never been a problem. Most of my holes are through-holes, though.
    Also, if you by chance break a thread mill, it's not stuck in the hole, you can extract it and save the part. That, in itself, is probably worth something :-D

Last edited by jwatte; 11-19-2019 at 07:09 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

thanks
    Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the help everyone. For those of you with the 440 or 770, what kind of actual tolerances can you hold? I know this is dependent on a lot of factors. But I would love to know what everyone is seeing.
    Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

440 owner here.
    For +- .003, I'd just slap it in the vise and press go.
    For +- .001, I'd have to measure and tweak for a second pass, and it might still come close to fully over in one direction and fully under under in the other.
    For better than that, you'd need someone more patient than me.

This is with best practices -- sharp carbide tooling, not too thick or deep, nor thin or shallow cuts, spot every drill, a finish pass that cuts a little bit rather than just rubs, well aimed flood cooling, manual brushing of stubborn chip piles, etc.

Downloads
    Uploads

what kind of actual tolerances can you hold?
    I have a 2013, Series 3 - 770, and I can usually hold +- .002 in X,Y,.
    And, when circle-milling (Bores), I've noticed a bit of slop (+-.003)
    I think my ways might be a little loose. - But.. I'm in no rush to start tweaking the Gibs..

Downloads
    Uploads

While not a 770, I had a Tormach PCNC 1100 for over 10 years and recently sold it to upgrade. During my time of ownership, the machine was incredibly reliable and the support/service was 2nd to none. Even well after the warranty expired, Tormach would still answer questions or help if I needed it.

I had the choice to by a very clean Hass Mini Mill or a new Tormach.1100 M+ Both were roughly the same price. I chose the Tormach for one primary reason, long term cost running costs. IF the Haas had a failure, related to the spindle o control boards, things get expensive very quick.

Yes the Haas is a much more capable machine with regards to MMR and accuracy. Even with that, having a new machine with a warranty, proven support track record, and accuracy around .001" when care is taken, was all I needed.

Thinking long term, like my previous machine, repairs were fairly inexpensive and parts were readily available from Tormach.

IF you are making a living and parts production is really important and you can justify the possible support costs, then the Hass very well may be the better choice. If you are a Hobbyist or small production person like I am, the Tormach may be a good choice for you.

Downloads
    Uploads

edited...

Downloads
    Uploads

I’m able to hold +/-0.01mm/0.0004” on a well tuned 770, primarily on titanium (Ti6Al4V) production pieces. Some thermal expansions in X and Y will shift the position a little. The Z zero usually starts -0.025mm/-0.001” on a cold start and will produce first part on size, then it stays relatively stable throughout the rest of the runs.

This is not a typical result, but just sharing what’s possible. I frequently checks for backlash and compensate them accordingly. Gibs will move and affect backlash/lost motion. I have adjusted them nearly half a dozen times in a year.

Downloads
    Uploads

Don't buy one.

Did that work...?

Last edited by burs; 11-21-2019 at 03:46 AM. Reason: inappropiate content

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast