Fusion 360 subscription changes - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fusion 360 subscription changes

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Fusion 360 subscription changes

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Neill View Post
    Well I've still got the free HSMExpress CAM embedded in my SW2014 CAD, but never used it yet as I'm still struggling on with Sprutcam.
    Should I use it? Anyone here doing so? And does it even have a potprocessor for Pathpilot...?
    HSMXpress is only 2.5. Sprut can do more but the interface and workflow always bothered me. I use Solidworks/HSMXpress at work and it's pretty slick, but our parts aren't very complicated.

Juan

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, Autodesk bought HSMWorks and integrated it into Inventor and Fusion. I was using Solidworks at the time and messing with the free 2.5D SW plugin was my first exposure to CAM. In contrast to that, the current CAM in Fusion includes true, simultaneous 5 axis machining. That's pretty amazing, given that it's (currently) free for hobby users. Last time I got a quote for 3 axis Sprutcam, it was over £1000.

There aren't any CAD programs that will import assemblies without complete loss of joints / mates unless I've been missing something. I haven't been following the Fusion import tool but if they can import assemblies with mates, that will be impressive.

I'll take a look at the FreeCAD videos - they look like a good starting point.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
    How do you figure? The hobby version doesn't include translators so you can't open other file formats, but if you've been working in Fusion for awhile you can still export your .igs files. Or am I missing something that would keep you from moving to a different software package? Does FreeCAD not support .igs?
    Ah, I didn't realise that they'd left that in there

Not such a jerk move, then!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by routalot View Post
    If anybody needs to know more about post processors for Freecad,this youtube video is worth watching .
    I watched the video but it leaves lots of questions. Does Freecad support things like HSM toolpaths, ramped entry, peck drilling, etc?

Downloads
    Uploads

AutoDesk is screwing me again.

Changing the subscription is causing me pain. I bought Inventor 2015 5 years ago and it cost me an arm and a leg. I had used it when working and wanted to be able to open my designs after retiring. 2016 they change the license so it would now cost $4000 each year. Cant afford that. Still using 2015 version with no support or updates and no HSM for lathe. So started using F360 to be able to open my designs. Now they are changing the license so I won't be able to open my Inventor files anymore.

WTF pulling my hair out. How can a company be this stupid to screw over their customers so much.

i had in mind the 100000 $ stayed which is true according to this side: https://www.autodesk.com/campaigns/fusion-360/startups

but somewhere apart from this forum i read 1000$. so that is quite confusing.
    could someone again point out a link to the 1000$ limit for start ups?
    thanks,
    michael

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by maxspongebob View Post
    WTF pulling my hair out.
    Never been too impressed with how this cad data translation/competition pans out industry-wide myself, Bob. Problem not only limited to Inventor-vs-price or F360, its all over.
    Pulling my hair almost every single week if not to re-stitch failed models, reverse engineer others, or plain and simply wasting hours trying to understand why a cad translator or another throws fun random errors.
    NX at the Co. (customers, parasolids/catia/steps), an old seat of SW'16 which doesn't open recent customer's format half of the time, and FreeCad which surprisingly works better more than never for custom prog/learning.
    Don't get me started in the CAM and posts dept, its as ugly. You are pulling your hair... I'm seriously wondering how come I still got any left lol

Sorry for the rant, just wanted to pass my regards and wish you good luck finding the way out of this
    Anything I can help with just shoot me a PM, I'll see what I can do

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    I watched the video but it leaves lots of questions. Does Freecad support things like HSM toolpaths, ramped entry, peck drilling, etc?
    Adaptive toolpaths are there and you can specify your feed rate and peck drilling is provided for.I haven't yet found ramp entry but if people ask for a feature,it usually gets added in due course.

Downloads
    Uploads

I do understand and sympathise with the point Mecanix makes about needing to buy a stream of upgrades to read files created with this year's version of any software.It gets worse in a job shop that deals with a few customers running different systems.Asking for a STEP file can avoid most of the difficulty if the customer can be bothered to make the effort to supply one.Maybe a hint about having to increase the shop rate to cover the cost of the stream of upgrades/subscriptions would help to facilitate the creation of such a file.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MFchief View Post
    Hey All,

I know, a bit off topic, but there are a lot of Fusion 360 users here, especially the hobbyist type like me.

If you haven't opened fusion lately you might not have seen that they are changing things a bit, to me it looks like the biggest change is separating the hobbyist and the small business folks. They are going to ask for a separate registration, with more info from the small business users.

Another change is that hobbyist won't have access to the software translators for working with other software tile types, I have never used that function, and don't have a clue if it's important to any Tormach users.

But, the main reason for this post is that they are offering what seems to me, a good deal if you choose to actually buy a seat, $310.00 US vs the normal price of $495. In addition, the 310 price is locked in forever, if you keep you subscription current.

I know there are folks here that run small businesses, and if any of you are getting close to the upper income limit and think you might need to go for a commercial seat anytime soon, this special might be a good time to do it. The sale price is good until the end of October.

Terry
    Where do I find the $310 price?
    All I see is $460 on their site.

Thanks for any help, I’m ready to subscribe

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by routalot View Post
    I do understand and sympathise with the point Mecanix makes about needing to buy a stream of upgrades to read files created with this year's version of any software.It gets worse in a job shop that deals with a few customers running different systems.Asking for a STEP file can avoid most of the difficulty if the customer can be bothered to make the effort to supply one.Maybe a hint about having to increase the shop rate to cover the cost of the stream of upgrades/subscriptions would help to facilitate the creation of such a file.
    We don't have many customers, at all, but it does create a massive and rather complex environment. e.g. 10 customers, from those add 15~20 suppliers each, suppliers have suppliers also... man parts & assemblies in various formats flies in&out its almost impossible not to go mental after 90 days. Can't believe we are soon to jump in year 2020 and still chasing 25hrs out of each day to do what could take 2.5hrs.

With that ranting now completed (lol), I really hope this F360 ditching-customers-thingy will bring a gigantic fresh new wave of tech, engineers and developers over FreeCad so we can all have perhaps, one day, an Open Source "industry standard" software we are all familiar and compatible with. That'd be revolutionary industry-wide.

Downloads
    Uploads

Overview to the new licensing scheme: https://www.autodesk.com/products/fu...dTbnU3dHc9PSJ9

Personal / hobby users. https://www.autodesk.com/campaigns/f...dTbnU3dHc9PSJ9

Startup users (up to $100k): https://www.autodesk.com/campaigns/f...dTbnU3dHc9PSJ9

Seems the limit for startups is still $100k but you need to provide more concrete proof of your business turnover. For hobby users, the main change (currently) is the loss of import filters, team collaboration and tech support.

Downloads
    Uploads

Now they are changing the license so I won't be able to open my Inventor files anymore.
    If you pay the $310/year, you can still open your files.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

I am not sure I understand some of the comments posted here.

It seems as though some of you are complaining that a company wants to charge for its product that you use. How many of you work for free?

In reality, if you are a non-commercial user, it is still free. I just re-registered yesterday and it didn't cost me a penny.

Instead of back stabbing the company that is providing you with a very good product free of charge, even if it were for a limited time, you should be praising them and thanking them for supporting your hobby.

Chris D

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Chris D View Post
    I am not sure I understand some of the comments posted here.

It seems as though some of you are complaining that a company wants to charge for its product that you use. How many of you work for free?

In reality, if you are a non-commercial user, it is still free. I just re-registered yesterday and it didn't cost me a penny.

Instead of back stabbing the company that is providing you with a very good product free of charge, even if it were for a limited time, you should be praising them and thanking them for supporting your hobby.

Chris D

Imho the cad / cam market changed drastically because of Fusion360.
    Cad/cam is now almost a main stream software with a huge user base.
    Not long ago a person or company had a $2+k entry into the cad cam market. The software was not always that good with lots of time consuming bugs. Now with free seats to learn and master cad modeling, I see people with crazy creative skills using this software more and more.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by neptunier View Post
    i had in mind the 100000 $ stayed which is true according to this side: https://www.autodesk.com/campaigns/fusion-360/startups

but somewhere apart from this forum i read 1000$. so that is quite confusing.
    could someone again point out a link to the 1000$ limit for start ups?
    thanks,
    michael
    I think you're referring to my post in another thread.

From$1000/yr to $100,000/yr start-up license is still available (at Autodesk's discretion)
    To qualify for a free license revenue must be below $1000/yr. The free license has lost some capabilities (mostly translators ?)
    Imo $1000/yr revenue is only pocket money for tooling, not profit.

For a profit making operation $310 annual subscription is a very nice price. I wasn't whining, just pointing out $1000/yr is lemonade stand dollars.

Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Downloads
    Uploads

This has turned into a fairly wide ranging discussion, bringing up may old issues about buying vs subscription, cloud based or not, access to older version files by newer versions, etc.

I guess my original point is directed at folks who have already decided fusion 360 was for them, and coming changes might make us change the way we obtain it. I share both sides of the argument about "free" software, I am grateful for Autodesk providing it as it has up until now, and skeptical that a large company will always be so generous to non paying users.

I personally chose to pay for the subscription based on the $310 per year, supposedly locked in at that price forever. Even though I have never used it for a business, and have no plans to do so. I viewed it as a fairly inexpensive way to maintain access the features I have available now, if the future leads to more reductions in the free version. I might be wrong, but I have no knowledge of any integrated CAD/CAM from a major player in the industry from anyone for even close to the same price.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by cyclestart View Post
    I think you're referring to my post in another thread.

From$1000/yr to $100,000/yr start-up license is still available (at Autodesk's discretion)
    To qualify for a free license revenue must be below $1000/yr. The free license has lost some capabilities (mostly translators ?)
    Imo $1000/yr revenue is only pocket money for tooling, not profit.

For a profit making operation $310 annual subscription is a very nice price. I wasn't whining, just pointing out $1000/yr is lemonade stand dollars.
    the start up version is also free, i am using that for some time now. you have the full capacity of the software.

to my understanding it is also free in the new model from autodesk as i got from a 4 day old post on the autodesk website.
    please correct me if i am mistaken.
    michael

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by neptunier View Post
    the start up version is also free, i am using that for some time now. you have the full capacity of the software.

to my understanding it is also free in the new model from autodesk as i got from a 4 day old post on the autodesk website.
    please correct me if i am mistaken.
    michael
    Yes, free for start-ups after applying and getting accepted. At least that's how I read it:
    https://www.autodesk.com/campaigns/f...artups#qualify

I'm not operating a business but do sell the occasional item. If that's more than $1000/yr who knows ? Certainly not Autodesk.

Sorry for any confusion.

Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cyclestart View Post
    Yes, free for start-ups after applying and getting accepted. At least that's how I read it:
    https://www.autodesk.com/campaigns/f...artups#qualify

I'm not operating a business but do sell the occasional item. If that's more than $1000/yr who knows ? Certainly not Autodesk.

Sorry for any confusion.
    You still have me confused. Where is this $1,000 per year coming from? The qualifications for the Startup License are:

- Businesses with 10 or fewer employees.
    - Businesses (including parent entities) generating less than $100,000 USD in total annual revenue.
    - Willingness to share your story with the Autodesk Fusion 360 community.

If you make less than $100K (not $1K) a year from your business use of Fusion, you can still use the software for free. This is the license I use, but I'm thinking of upgrading to lock in the Commercial Version price.

*EDIT* I was just looking further into this and found what you are talking about:

*Individuals with “hobby businesses,” generating less than $1,000 USD in annual revenue, are exempt from the non-commercial requirement, thus for the free, personal use of Fusion 360.

I thought you were talking about the Startup License having a $1K limit. My mistake.

Juan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast