Newbie Tormach 770 Newbie? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tormach 770 Newbie?

Default Re: Tormach 770 Newbie?

That's cool too! I'm just now (well for about the last 6 weeks) getting into TTS, so I'm still learning. I bought a load of ER20 holders to get rolling, but some for some of my favorite oddball tools I've not yet worked out.

What's a good TTS drill chuck setup (keyless ideally)? My really expensive R8 chuck is pretty hard to use since I'd need to remove the PDB and TTS collet and drawbar to make it work. I'll try to sell it I guess.

Downloads
    Uploads

For drills I mostly use ER16 collets rather than a chuck. This gives better concentricity and additional Z-clearance compared to a chuck. Also cheaper than drill chucks. All common tap and clearance drills are in their own collets and are premeasured in the tool table. I also have a couple of Albrecht keyless chucks on Tormach JT? to TTS adapters. I originally purchased a completely unacceptable Jacobs style chuck from Tormach; perhaps their quality has improved.

I have a tap holder that is what I think (from memory) to be JT2, so I'll probably order a TTS JT2 setup.

I've tried to get away from drilling, but for smaller holes I've found it necessary.

I don't have any ER16 stuff, so perhaps I will just expand my ER20 collet selection.

Downloads
    Uploads

Metric collets are best for drills since they completely cover the size range. The larger ER holders make it difficult to direct coolant to the right place when using small cutters. I wish Tormach offered ER11 ones. I have a nice small Albrecht chuck that is JT0 but Tormach doesn't offer that either.

Downloads
    Uploads

Second keeping a ER collet and tool holder for each drill and thread mill I use frequently. And my designs end up using those sizes more frequently, too, because they're measured and ready to go ...
    (For me, the sizes are 2.1mm, 2.6mm and 3.2mm, working as pilot and clearance drills for M2.5 and M3 holes. You may be working on stuff of other sizes.)
    I have one of the small Jacobs chucks, too, for one-offs.
    When buying a mill, you should get at least 10 ER holders, and two sets of the Metric sizes inserts (they work for fractional inch, too.)
    You might also want to top up with a few extra 1/8", 3/16", 1/4", and 3/8" collets. You can get good quality Technics collects on Amazon reasonably affordably.

Downloads
    Uploads

I completely agree with jwatte. My common drill sizes are #50, #43, #32, #29, #18, #7 (2-56, 4-40, 8-32 and 1/4-20) and each is in its own holder and pre-measured. I can't really afford Technics collets; cheap metric Chinese collets are still more accurate than most drill chucks and cost only a few dollars each.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    .... I wish Tormach offered ER11 ones...
    I've been wanting those for awhile. It's been a few summers since Tormach told me they were "on the way". Maybe it's time to start bugging them again.

Juan

The Shars (precision) ER collets are slightly cheaper than Technics and have been excellent for me. They also sell lower grade collets. Sometimes I mix and match, if I'm not going to use a certain size often I go for the cheaper ones. Or if the tool is really small then I get the better ones.

Downloads
    Uploads

Exactly. Technics premium 1/8-inch collets for my 1/16 and smaller endmills. Cr*p Chinese metric collets at $1 each for larger drill bits give lower runout than most drill chucks. In fairness, many of the cheap Chinese collets are pretty good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12