Newbie Tormach 770 Newbie? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tormach 770 Newbie?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Tormach 770 Newbie?

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    I would not choose that face mill. It is R8 so not TTS compatible plus it doesn't appear to use positive rake inserts and therefore probably requires more power than a 770 can provide. The power concern is even worse with the larger mill. If you are using both smaller cutters and a large face mill on the same job you will need to move the belt between high/low range which I find to be time consuming and thus a huge pain. Also you cannot currently change the belt within a single gcode file. Tormach claims that as a new feature you can change the speed range at tool change time with PP 2.3.4 but I haven't yet tried that.

I no longer use flood coolant so someone else will have to address that question.
    Any face mill you recommend? The fly cutter scares me a little
    The collect in the spindle says R8 that holds the TTS. So are those different ?

MaxNC15 - currently under construction
    Torchmate 2x2 with Flashcut CNC Controls

Downloads
    Uploads

I looked around for a TTS .875" arbor, that sure would make face mill selection easier. I've not found one yet. I have a really face mill with round inserts that I'd like to run on TTS, but without an arbor it's impossible.

Downloads
    Uploads

The collet that holds TTS tooling is indeed R8 and you could certainly use the face mill that you linked. However, using R8 tooling has two problems:
    1) there is no way to ensure a reproducible tool length (Z-offset)
    2) you have to remove the usual R8 3/4-inch collet. This is a problem if you have the Power Draw Bar (which I heartily recommend). If you remove the collet and replace it with an R8 facemill you will then need to reset the drawbar tension when you next use a TTS tool.

You can use any facemill with a 3/4-inch straight shank. I believe that I posted a link to my personal choice earlier in this thread.

Downloads
    Uploads

Are you certain that you need a 0.875 arbour? For cheap imports 22mm (0.866) are far more common. If you need 22mm then search eBay for FMB22 and 3/4-inch straight. It is easy to convert such to be TTS compatible. See https://www.ebay.ca/itm/3-4-FMB22-St...t/292672082039 for one example.

Downloads
    Uploads

I measured it really quick, as i recall the arbor was something like .862. I didn't even calibrate, so I just assumed it was .875, but if 22mm is common, then I bet you are correct.

What would I do, run that 3/4 shank in a er32 TTS holder? I have an ATC. Or I suppose do a manual tool change for that tool. I don't do that much facing so I suppose a manual tool change isn't the end of the world.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, I answered my own question.

Here's one with an ATC ring.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-3-4-FMB...wAAOSwvwhdPrdn

Thanks for the info, kstrauss. That's an epic find more me!

Downloads
    Uploads

Also, to OP, stick with a smallish face mill if you do find one. One inch or so, three inserts. That 1.1kw spindle won't like much more. I'm running 2.2kw (4kw peak) and can strain the system with my 2" 4 insert face mill. My previous spindle motor was 1.3kw and on occasion I stalled it at 1:1 with the same face mill, and I had to be really conservative with my feeds. Made beautiful cuts when I got it right though.

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't have an ATC so, unfortunately, all of my changes are manual!
    The easiest but not the cheapest way to adapt things is to add a https://www.tormach.com/Search/?q=32432 to the 3/4-inch shank. That should allow at least the smaller facemills to work with your ATC. Lacking an ATC I simply used my lathe to cut a TTS recess into the body of the arbour.

Downloads
    Uploads

That's cool too! I'm just now (well for about the last 6 weeks) getting into TTS, so I'm still learning. I bought a load of ER20 holders to get rolling, but some for some of my favorite oddball tools I've not yet worked out.

What's a good TTS drill chuck setup (keyless ideally)? My really expensive R8 chuck is pretty hard to use since I'd need to remove the PDB and TTS collet and drawbar to make it work. I'll try to sell it I guess.

Downloads
    Uploads

For drills I mostly use ER16 collets rather than a chuck. This gives better concentricity and additional Z-clearance compared to a chuck. Also cheaper than drill chucks. All common tap and clearance drills are in their own collets and are premeasured in the tool table. I also have a couple of Albrecht keyless chucks on Tormach JT? to TTS adapters. I originally purchased a completely unacceptable Jacobs style chuck from Tormach; perhaps their quality has improved.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a tap holder that is what I think (from memory) to be JT2, so I'll probably order a TTS JT2 setup.

I've tried to get away from drilling, but for smaller holes I've found it necessary.

I don't have any ER16 stuff, so perhaps I will just expand my ER20 collet selection.

Downloads
    Uploads

Metric collets are best for drills since they completely cover the size range. The larger ER holders make it difficult to direct coolant to the right place when using small cutters. I wish Tormach offered ER11 ones. I have a nice small Albrecht chuck that is JT0 but Tormach doesn't offer that either.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast