1100 Splash shield

Thread: 1100 Splash shield

Downloads
    Uploads

Default 1100 Splash shield

My splash shield started to craze some time ago, whether because of exposure to coolant or some other solvent I can't be sure. I thought that strange for polycarbonate. Then I dropped it and broke a 4" chunk off the corner, I thought that REALLY strange for polycarbonate. I took it down to a local plastics place and they confirmed that it is in fact acrylic. I replaced it with polycarbonate which I think is a better choice, and got them to cut me a piece 16" tall which will spare me some of the bombardment I occasionally get. The polycarbonate was about 30% more expensive than acrylic.

1100 Splash shield-img-2301-jpg1100 Splash shield-img-2302-jpg

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 1100 Splash shield

Yes tormach shield was extruded acrylic "not safety grade form of polycarb", it crazed in a few months and fell apart a couple years later.
    I kept my shield shorter to ease reach over during tool changes.
    btw, I dig your precision high rise vise . That tool has been around longer then me.

Downloads
    Uploads

I remember those type vises well, brings back some memories! I needed one of those when I used Mach 3, it would give a fellow more time to hit the E stop ha!!

I made the new shield taller, kind of a bear to get used to but keeps more chips on the table!

I found 2 pieces of polycarbonate on ebay, used so the price was decent, still using the first one, seems impervious to oils etc., there are certain solvents that will destroy it, 40 years ago or so we used it for machine guards, one of the operators tried cleaning it with some type of electrical solvent, other than this incident,it is some tough stuff........

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

On the vise, that's one of my many bench vise purchases - a Reed 3C combination vise that I was skimming the tops of the jaws to clean them up. 120lb vise, This particular vise has "cast in" hardened jaws so they can't be removed. Reed are about the best bench vises available, that one is probably 70 years old.

Oh, in case it isn't clear, that vise was a workpiece in this instance, it isn't used as a workholding device on the mill, I ahve the std Tormach 5" vise for that!

Last edited by widget_maker; 07-12-2019 at 04:52 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

My machine had that same splash shield when I bought it, then about 3 years later Tormach came out with their full enclosure for the PCNC 1100.

My wife saw that and nothing would do until I bought one. I used it for about 4 years and I’ll tell ya what, I hate it. The enclosure makes it too hard to get inside to clean it up.

I just moved from Southern California to Vancouver Washington and I had to remove the enclosure to get the machine out of the garage.

I have absolutely no intention of ever putting the enclosure back on.

You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Downloads
    Uploads

Must be great to have a wife who forces you to buy tools! A "keeper" for sure.

Never thought of the cleaning aspect of it, I always envied those full enclosures but too pricey for me.

Downloads
    Uploads

1100 Splash shield-img_8135-jpg1100 Splash shield-img_8138-jpgThis setup makes it easier for me to clean up, a facemill will still throw chips out though......

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1100 Splash shield-img_8135-jpg   1100 Splash shield-img_8138-jpg  
    mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by widget_maker View Post
    On the vise, that's one of my many bench vise purchases - a Reed 3C combination vise that I was skimming the tops of the jaws to clean them up. 120lb vise, This particular vise has "cast in" hardened jaws so they can't be removed. Reed are about the best bench vises available, that one is probably 70 years old.

Oh, in case it isn't clear, that vise was a workpiece in this instance, it isn't used as a workholding device on the mill, I ahve the std Tormach 5" vise for that!
    I figured you were milling in some steps. I have a number of different types of Record brand vises. A couple I made custom soft stepped jaws for and one pair mounted to bench have quick mount neoprene rubber jaws for working with, go figure acrylic sheets and other plastics.