MichaelHenry's Tormach Move How-To

Thread: MichaelHenry's Tormach Move How-To

Downloads
    Uploads

Default MichaelHenry's Tormach Move How-To

MichaelHenry's how-to on disassembling his Tormach 1100, moving it into his basement, and re-assembling it is the gold standard for doing the job.

Since I may be looking at moving my Tormach in the near future, I went looking for the postings and was dismayed to find that they no longer seem to be available (unless I want to pay to join Newsguy, and maybe not even then).

Is there anyplace on line where the photos and narration are still available at no cost?

Thanks.

Dennis Austin

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: MichaelHenry's Tormach Move How-To

Dennis,

I recently disassembled and moved my Tormach 1100 so feel free to ask questions that you may have.......

Robert

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry, but it seems like Newsguy stopped supporting the format used for my web site and I never bothered to try and move the entire site any where else. I still have all the pictures and maybe even the narrative that went along with it, it would take more time to upload here than I have available and CNC-Zone might not want to host the pictures. I'll help, if I can. Maybe there is a way to convert the "move" pages to a PDF file or something.

Downloads
    Uploads

This may be helpful:
    Go to
    https://web.archive.org/web/2007*/ht...h_cnc_mill.htm

and select the September 14, 2007 capture.

Downloads
    Uploads

Wasn't that hard... but did take some time. The following assumes you have to disassemble the mill:

In a nutshell, I dis-assembled, stripped & painted mine in a garage. Then I moved it to my basement. I re-assembled it there. Only big stuff I needed was a bunch of wood blocks to set the mill on (off of the Tormach enclosure), a cart I made of wood with ~8" diameter wheels, and a large engine hoist.

I moved it in parts - IIRC all on a hand fork truck across the lawn (not too heavy or awkward), into the walkout basement, and assembled using only an engine hoist. My guess is - if mill is in parts - two people could manage moving down steps with a "stair climber" hand truck, assuming no corners.

I took pictures of EVERYTHING before disassembly and as I disassembled, kept all small parts in zip-lock plastic bags. Labeled everything.

You will need a torque wrench you trust.
    You will also have to get under the base and tighten the Y axis ball nut. That was the scariest part - several hundred pounds over my head.
    I recommend purchasing the Tormach kit for adjusting the angular contact bearings.

I found tons of videos, instructions out there already on adjustments.
    Oh, I also installed a MESA Ethernet card (7I92 I believe), and latest PathPilot.

Good Luck.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, kstrauss.

The Wayback link was just what I needed. A few photos are missing, but the narrative is intact, and that's the important thing.

Thanks to all who replied.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dkaustin View Post
    Thanks, kstrauss.

The Wayback link was just what I needed. A few photos are missing, but the narrative is intact, and that's the important thing.

Thanks to all who replied.
    I can probably forward any missing pictures to you, if they are needed.

Downloads
    Uploads

I never knew such a site existed thanks! Now when there is nothing on the internet I can watch reruns!