Polycarbonate - off topic - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Polycarbonate - off topic

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Polycarbonate - off topic

I affixed rare earth magnets into bores in Delrin with 3m VHB tape with good success. The magnets are 1/2" dia about 1/8" thick. I cut squares of the tape and applied to magnet, then removed the backing and trimmed overhanging corners while trying to not touch the back of the tape. Both magnet and plastic were cleaned with alcohol in advance. The bores need not be tight for this application. Previous attempt with CA glue met with magnets releasing from plastic.

tape https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-Jon

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, if I can't get the glue to work, I could probably try the tape by sticking it to the plugs.

Terry

Downloads
    Uploads

If the design allows, you could also, spot the bottom of the hole with a drill, just deep enough to leave a dimple for epoxy to sit in.

Downloads
    Uploads

On one half of the joints, I do have room for that, thanks.

Terry

Downloads
    Uploads

You can press the magnets into a pocket and it will stay. I do this all the time. Just make a pocket about 0.005" smaller than the magnet. For instance I use 1/2" x .125 magnets and make a pocket of 0.495 x 0.130 deep and then press in the magnets. They do not fall out or cause cracks. I use 1/4" Poly. Just be sure to get your polarity correct because there is no taking it back without damaging the material.

Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi everyone.

Just wanted to close out this thread that I started a while back.

As usual life got in the way of finishing this project and I just wrapped it up today. I 3D printed the dust boot which took 16 hrs, and naturally the first one messed up and I had to re-do it.

But, I did finish it up today, and to the point of the original post, I ended up sizing the magnet pockets in the polycarbonate arms, and the associated pockets in the printed PLA body for a light press fit. It seems to be working fine, but time will tell if cracks start to develop. Good news is, with our hobby/business, I still have the files, so if need be, I can make new parts pretty quickly.

As you can see in the attached pic, the boot is held to the arms just by the magnets, in order to facilitate quick bit changes on the router.

Thank;s to everyone for your suggestions and ideas.

Terry

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Polycarbonate - off topic-router-dust-boot-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Cool!

Very nice looking job, what material was used to print the boot?

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by MFchief View Post
    Hi everyone.

Just wanted to close out this thread that I started a while back.

As usual life got in the way of finishing this project and I just wrapped it up today. I 3D printed the dust boot which took 16 hrs, and naturally the first one messed up and I had to re-do it.

But, I did finish it up today, and to the point of the original post, I ended up sizing the magnet pockets in the polycarbonate arms, and the associated pockets in the printed PLA body for a light press fit. It seems to be working fine, but time will tell if cracks start to develop. Good news is, with our hobby/business, I still have the files, so if need be, I can make new parts pretty quickly.

As you can see in the attached pic, the boot is held to the arms just by the magnets, in order to facilitate quick bit changes on the router.

Thank;s to everyone for your suggestions and ideas.

Terry

Downloads
    Uploads

Attached ThumbnailsPolycarbonate - off topic-router-dust-boot-jpgVery professional looking job, congrats!!

mike sr

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks guys, appreciate it!

Gary the boot just standard PLA, Jgaurora branded.

Terry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12